Moving on From Roomate, some thoughts.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by systemshock3, Sep 18, 2006.

1. systemshock3

systemshock3 Member

Albums:
    Yes, I posted something about this on my blog, but since this is the first place I came to after watching the Cowboys game at my sisters house, I figured this was as good a sounding board as any.

I gave my roomate notice 45 days notice that I was moving out. He produced a revised final bill, which does include one month late that I was some time ago. Thats fair, and will be taken care of along with my final check.

I told him, however, that the amount I was giving him would also take into account my deposit that I put down when I moved in. To this, he replied that he would have to take into account carpet cleaning, etc. And then he wondered why I was moving out? Well, there are myriad reasons, but the main one which relates to the above is that I really REALLY have felt I was not getting my money's worth for some time. The main issue is the electricity and water bills. I pay half of them and both have gone up quite a bit.

Well, between my job, tennis practice, workouts and my social life, I am not home NEARLY enough for usage to justify what I have been paying for the last year and a half in utilities. I basically pay half to heat and cool and hydrate 3200 square feet of house, plus the pool, of which my actual living space is less than 1/6th. When the electricity bills started going up and looking at how my HALF was, I basically calculated that he has made back that month of rent and THEN SOME, because I am paying for half of something I am not using nearly that much of.

SO, the conundrum is just how much of an asshole should I be? Its not like I am walking out without paying anything (like his last roomate did). I am going to be paying the last rent, the rent I owe, and the utilities for the period of time up to when I move....less deposit. I am of the mind that since I have overcharged for quite some time, him dithering over small amounts is rather petty.

Any thoughts on this?

2. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    You agreed to the terms. It's not fair to renig after the fact just because you realize you made a bad deal. Pay what you owe. You owe the back rent, the current rent, and the current utilities, minus the deposit.

3. kurios

kurios Member

pay..............If you felt unjustly charged way back you should have raised the issue at the time. Mighten hurt to tell him why you are moving he may make you a more equitable deal

4. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I agree with BBS and Kurios that you shoud honour what you have agreed. There is no problem in amicably asking him to explain why you should be paying for the extra cleaning you mentioned.

As Kurios said you should explain why you are going as you may get a better deal.

Often perceived problems are not a problem at all once they are discussed.

If you are stuck and you fancy moving to Tenerife we have a spare room:wink:

5. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Less the deposit is fair. As to the cleaning, that normally comes out of the deposit.

I know where you're coming from as far as "fairness" goes. My former roomate and I had an agreement to take turns washing the dishes but it always be on my day that she would have eight people over for a four course dinner. Every dish used? Screw that.

6. systemshock3

systemshock3 Member

Albums:
    LOL, fair enough. Basically, I am making sure that he has nothing to take out of my deposit. But, yes, I think it IS time I let him know ALL the reasons I am moving. Of course, the MAIN reason is that I am getting a SWEET deal on a condo in Uptown Dallas and I need to be closer to where the action is (clubs, gyms, the arts...attractive young professionals.. ;) ) But, its also the fact that I need my own space and as many have said...I realized I made a not so good deal some time ago. Hmph.

However, there will be no carpet cleaning to take care of, since I will be taking care of that before I leave.

So, all will be well on that front. :)

7. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Pay up, then leave a picture of your hot naked self on the fridge...he should have paid more just to see you walk around in the place anyway. Cheers for the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted