Moving to the Frisco?

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How many gay men here want to visit or move to San Francisco? I'm dying for the gay culture which thrives there. Many people complain to me "Does everything have to gay?" My response to them is "Does everything have to be straight?" Honestly, I LOVE BEING GAY! Watch this video for reference...

Lucky To Be Gay! - YouTube

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How many gay men here want to visit or move to San Francisco? I'm dying for the gay culture which thrives there. Many people complain to me "Does everything have to gay?" My response to them is "Does everything have to be straight?" Honestly, I LOVE BEING GAY! Watch this video for reference...

Lucky To Be Gay! - YouTube

All right, maestro. San Francisco RULES! But..............!

1) Never, EVER refer to it as Frisco. If you do so within 200 miles of the City limits, you will have irrevocably lost all credibility with the local population. This will significantly impact your dating opportunities and it will have major effects whenever you are ordering food or drink in an establishment that does not have a laminated menu.

2) Never, EVER refer to it as THE Frisco. See 1), above, and multiply by a gazillion.

When you eventually make it to the City, Mr. S, I know you will love it muchly and you will be a big star. I hereby declare that someday you shall be King (or Queen!) of the Castro.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In general, don't call it SF, or San Fran, either--the locals get nearly as annoyed. :p Call it "The City" and people will think you've lived there awhile, or are at least informed :) Good Luck!

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I will call it the city then, for I am in love with it. I wasn't aware there were rules to abide by. Are there any others I should know of?

I can't imagine being the King (or Queen!) of the Castro! Oh what dreams you salivate my lips with Silver Train! I have a hard time seeing other guys I see randomly on the street looking at me in lust never mind approaching me! This is from living without a gay community, not from lack of self-confidence. The idea excites me like you have no idea! I WANT THE CITY!!!

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I used to live in the city. It can be fun. There's a pretty huge drug culture there. Don't let it suck you in. It is still outrageously expensive to live there.
Best way to find friends is to join one of the athletic clubs, like the Tsunami Swim Team or Frontrunners. Have fun, it is the place for it!

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
^^^I will look into those. I go to Zoo-mass, so I am used to the topic of drugs and "lozer straight-edge" folks. I like my pot and alcohol in decent quantities, but I have firm boundaries beyond that.

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If your focus in Kines was athletic training, there are lots of clubs, etc. If it was in human movement....good luck finding a job. That's what I did, I ended up coaching swimming. Now I'm a nurse. Not much out there for a bs in Kines...though that may have changed.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I will call it the city then, for I am in love with it. I wasn't aware there were rules to abide by. Are there any others I should know of?

I can't imagine being the King (or Queen!) of the Castro! Oh what dreams you salivate my lips with Silver Train! I have a hard time seeing other guys I see randomly on the street looking at me in lust never mind approaching me! This is from living without a gay community, not from lack of self-confidence. The idea excites me like you have no idea! I WANT THE CITY!!!

There aren't very many rules there. That's one of the things that's so great about it. But definitely don't call it Frisco.

You'll probably be working two jobs to pay the rent in your tiny pad way out in the Richmond (or over in the East Bay) for awhile. Or maybe you'll get lucky and take a room in a casa boheme in the Mission with two hunky guys named Andres and Nigel. But you'll stick with it, and soon you'll work yourself into better and better.

Bon suerte...

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For a young gay guy, The City could be pretty intoxicating. As someone who came out for good in 1976, the appeal isn't so much. Having lived within two hundred miles of it for ten years, I only go for business reasons or medical care. Don't get me wrong, it's very cool but the cost of living is high and it's kind of hectic. You could get a job and the wonderful thing is that being gay WOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE.

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I dont drive, so. I thought the mission wasn't a safe place for gay men to go? I didn't have a focus under Kines, it was just kines. Honestly, I dont know what I wat to do for the rest of my life. I thought I could find something eventually, so myaswell focus on other things I want to do in the meantime, like move to the city. Tw jobs, I should start looking, but where? Craigslist?
I LOVE food. It's AWESOME!
Whats bayview hunters park?

tamati

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Whats bayview hunters park?

thats where the gang-bangers shoot at each other.

the mission has improved a lot from what i hear.

Craig Newmark started craigslist in SF for people to find housing and jobs in the bay area. it just mushroomed around the world from there. so yeah, its a great place to start!

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Pretty much anywhere in the city is gay-friendly.

Just stay out of North Beach. Total yuppie breeder haven.

Mission is cool. There is a bar called El Rio that is the place to be on a nice Sunday afternoon. Great margaritas and salsa dancing on the back patio.

jeunessedoree

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
San Francisco is just a figment of the Liberal imagination.

Or, maybe, a product...I'm not sure yet.

It's city where plastic shopping bags and styrofoam containers have been outlawed; a city where 85% of voters voted for Obama in 2008; a city where you'll discover a flock of wild, feral, but charming parrots roaming Telegraph Hill; it's a city that has had the most expensive housing costs in the entire country for the past few years; a city that fucked my gaydar up; a city where, if you walk any given block and you don't smell pot, something must be wrong; a city where the minimum wage is now $10.24 an hour, and where, if you're a server, you don't receive diminished wages(!); a city that has some of the most crazy and terrifying homeless people I've ever encountered (I once had a guy throw poo at me on the sidewalk, shouting "shit for brains" afterwards); it's a city that's had socialized healthcare for 5 years now; and finally, a city where, if you happen to catch Robin Williams walking on one of his rare downtown outings, you should NOT greet him with your Mrs. Doubtfire impression.

Also, the weather is pleasantly consistent all-year 'round!

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Smaccoms, I lived in SF for 15 years without a car. It has one of the best public transit networks in North America and there are other fun options, too. I was one of the first 100 people to join CarShare and now there are thousands of members. (Local lingo tip: in San Francisco to make a quick U-turn is to "flip a bitch".)

The Mission is reasonably safe and has some awesome shops and restaurants. I used to live right on Dolores Park, halfway between the Castro and the Mission. As that area is the transition from one to the other, some called it the Transmission. (People in the City are fond of making up new neighborhood names.) When I first moved in, the area had a lot of prostitutes and drug dealers; now it's the gourmet ghetto and lures people from all over the City and even further. Plenty of wonderful markets, bakeries and restaurants. Be sure to put Bi-Rite Market, Bi-Rite Creamery and Tartine bakery on your list... you can look them up online and whet your appetite. And I've never found a supermarket like Rainbow Grocery anywhere else (a homo-friendly worker cooperative - they're closed on César Chávez's birthday and Gay Pride Sunday). They have everything cool you can imagine.

Every day can bring unexpected sights. Tim Redmond, editor of the SF Bay Guardian newspaper, moved to the City from Oregon and in the first few weeks was unsure whether he'd stay. Portland is kind of funky, too. But one day he was walking down California Street from waaay up on Nob Hill, and he looked over his shoulder to see a guy skateboarding down the long, steep street, past a cable car full of tourists, wearing nothing but a jockstrap and a cape. At that moment, Tim knew he'd found his new home.

I stayed in SF long enough to watch it become a very different city from when I moved there. In my early months and years there I became friends with Herb Caen, shopped at Whole Earth Access, ate at Ti Couz and rode the 26 Valencia. All are gone. In their place are new faces and new places. What's still there, and a hallmark of San Francisco, is the energy of activism. I've never lived anywhere where so many people were so passionately involved in so many causes. (Actually, western Mass can be a little like that.) After living through a couple of transformations of the City I figured it was time to try a completely different corner of the country. If you do make it out to Bagdad by the Bay, jump in with both feet. Explore relentlessly and select the best parts that complement or challenge you. You might not ever want to leave.

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow, thanks for the great advice guys. This is exactly the sort of things I want to hear! I will probably make a list of things to look up from this thread once I atually get a job and an apartment and have time to focus on other things.

I will definitely explore CL than, I didn't know any of that!

I'M TOTALLY OBSESSED with the city OMG am I excited!