Mozilla Firefox Issue

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Because I'm unable to open my Firefox icon, I'm trying to download an updated copy of mozilla firefox, but am getting suspect files trying to run on my laptop from one site saying mozilla-mirror/..., another from mozilla-nyc-osuososl.org.

One time I went through microsoft's website, the other time, directly to mozilla.org.

Is there a safe website from which I know for sure I can download a copy of the firefox?

Thanks,
Sassy

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Because I'm unable to open my Firefox icon, I'm trying to download an updated copy of mozilla firefox, but am getting suspect files trying to run on my laptop from one site saying mozilla-mirror/..., another from mozilla-nyc-osuososl.org.

One time I went through microsoft's website, the other time, directly to mozilla.org.

Is there a safe website from which I know for sure I can download a copy of the firefox?

Thanks,
Sassy
It sounds as if your browser may have been hijacked or your laptop may be infected. To be on the safe side run a scan with Malwarebytes first. Then go to the Firefox site. Correct and safe links provided for both. If you need help, send me a pm.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Home of the Mozilla Project

Last edited:
D

deleted490601

IF you have an anti-virus program like Mcafee or AVG or Norton, run a FULL SCAN of your computer - then i would go to Home of the Mozilla Project and download Firefox for windows version 7.0.1.. when you click on that, your download popup box should say something like "You have chosen to open Firefox Setup 7.0.1.exe which is binary file, from http://mirrror.... " the mirror is an okay thing.. its not a false program; what they do is set up various "mirror" download sites all around the planet, so that the installation program is downloaded from a "mirror site" that is close to where you live. It saves time, and keeps from cloggin up one server trying to respond to all the requests for Firefox from all around the world.

For example, if i try to download Firefox, it tells me that it is a Binary File from http://mirror2.hs-esslingen.de; this is a server that Firefox maintains in Germany - I am in Europe at the moment, so when I asked to download it from mozilla.org, it looked at my internet address, knew that i was requesting it from somewhere in Europe, and sent the download request to their server in Germany. I hope that helps, and isnt too technical!