MRSA: The New AIDS

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wonder why straights aren't getting this disease?

Drug-resistant staph found to be passed in gay sex
Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:17pm EST
By Amanda Beck
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A drug-resistant strain of potentially deadly bacteria has moved beyond the borders of U.S. hospitals and is being transmitted among gay men during sex, researchers said on Monday.
They said methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, is beginning to appear outside hospitals in San Francisco, Boston, New York and Los Angeles.
Sexually active gay men in San Francisco are 13 times more likely to be infected than their heterosexual neighbors, the researchers reported in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
"Once this reaches the general population, it will be truly unstoppable," said Binh Diep, a researcher at the University of California, San Francisco who led the study. "That's why we're trying to spread the message of prevention."

Sounds like what happened with AIDS in the early 1980's. It started with gays and then went to straights.

According to chemical analyses, bacteria are spreading among the gay communities of San Francisco and Boston, the researchers said.
"We think that it's spread through sexual activity," Diep said.

What about straights?

Incidence of MRSA is rising along with the resurgence of syphilis, rectal gonorrhea, and new HIV infections partly because of changes in beliefs about the severity of HIV and an increase in risky behaviors, such as illicit drug use and having sex that abrades the skin, Diep's team wrote.

We already know that this has happened in bathhouses, but they still allow them and promote them.

"Your likelihood of contracting each of these diseases increases with the number of sexual partners that you have," Diep said. "The same can probably be said for MRSA."

That's kind of obvious.

Staph infections often look like raised red dots on the skin. Left untreated, the areas can swell and fill with pus.

The best way to avoid infection is by washing the hands or genitals with soap and water, Diep said

The logical answer. Don't sleep around.
I'll try and tamp down the hysteria........THERE ARE effective treatments for MRSA......the M stands for Methicillin, a very specific broad spectrum antibiotic that this particular bacteria has developed resistance to. Treatment for MRSA(from webmd.com):
What are the treatments?
The good news is that MRSA is treatable. By definition, MRSA is resistant to some antibiotics. But other kinds of antibiotics still work. Bactrim and Vancocin (vancomycin) are often the first drugs used. Other options are Cleocin, Levaquin, Cubicin, Zyvox, and Synercid. Some of these antibiotics may need to be given intravenously.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Good friends of mine have been infected with MRSA.
Scares the shit out of me, especially working in a restaurant.

Just practice good hygeine and if you see another co-worker that looks ill, let them know. The worst incidents happen when someone is sick, but either doesn't realize it or isn't listening to their body. I find that people who stay home when they first feel the illness coming on miss only a day or so as opposed to the person who comes in and works for days sick.

Heed your body's natural warnings.

FYI.....cruise ship infections are not caused by MRSA, they are caused by NOROVIRUS

That they were and Noro is no walk in the park either.

Oh. Then the sanitizers are useless?

Not at all, but some are more effective than others. At least that is what my wife the nurse says.

FYI...common sanitizers also kill viruses.........I just bought up the Norovirus/cruise ship connection so people wouldn't think that the "sick cruise ships" we've all read about in the news were not infected with MRSA.......Even if a ship had MRSA aboard it would cause the epidemics that NOROVIRUS causes......EVERYONE is susceptible to NOROVIRUS but , generally, it is only the elderly, very young, infirmed, and immunocompromised that are susceptible to MRSA.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins University were able to lower the infection rates at hospitals simply by creating and using checklists that reminded employees of the proper cleanliness procedures. Although they got the infection rate eliminated, the medical authorities are saying that his use of the checklist constituted research without informed consent and are blasting the research.

INSANE.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/30/opinion/30gawande.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

This was exactly why the NOROVIRUS reached an epidemic level at the retirement community where my wife works. It is a very upscale, active and social community. So not only do you have trouble isolating it, but simple cleaning procedures can greatly reduce the chance of spread. We all laugh about eating behind the one guy you see come out of the bathroom without washing hands, but it is a genuine worry. Just that 30 seconds it takes you to properly wash could make a world of diference. I have gotten so anal that I'll wash my hands, keep the towel I used to wash, pull the door open with it and then discard it. The custodial staff in our facility are on top of this and are always cleaning the door handles believe it or not.

In today's cubicle world, infection is much more easily spread. Always be careful not just for yourself, but for the people around you as well.

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
MRSA and VRE have been around since before I worked in pre-hospital care and in a hospital. While I am considered immuno-compromised I am not a germ freak. Proper handwashing, and care of those who come into contact with you can protect others.

I took care of my grandma for a year, she did have MRSA. Everyone who came into the house was instructed to use hand gel or wash their hands (dry on paper towels), when they entered and left the house. Any activities involving grandma also included clean hands before and after. My 4 year old at the time had the same routine. Nobody in our household ever tested positive other than grandma for MRSA and both my son and I were checked before we moved out.

People just need to be aware MRSA is out there, not be extremely paranoid about it. Do your best to keep your hands clean before and after touching things and instruct others around you to do so as well. Everyone needs reminding at times......even doctors!

Do not be afraid to ask any healthcare professionals you come into contact with to wash/sanitize their hands, most will not mind. They want the patient as healthy as possible and everyone that comes into the care facilities as a visitor.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Do not be afraid to ask any healthcare professionals you come into contact with to wash/sanitize their hands, most will not mind. They want the patient as healthy as possible and everyone that comes into the care facilities as a visitor.

Great point.

Imagine the doctor comes from one patient with a contagious disease, gets stopped at the door to look at a chart and enters your room, forgetting to change his or her gloves.

There's no harm in asking him or her if he changed his gloves and if he wouldn't mind changing them in front of you, or asking him to blast himself with some ethanol jelly!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If the figure of 19,000 men dead in 2005 is in fact true, that is not hysteria.
And how many women died from this new plague? Or don't we matter to you Italian1? :12:

I assure you, as someone with a degree in microbiology, that ethanol jelly is not helping any bacterium "gain strength" (meaning antibiotic resistance), because it isn't an antibiotic. *SNIP* And the only place less sanitary than a pre-school is that plastic-ball-jungle-gym thing at a Chuck-E-Cheese. Yuck! I have often wondered about those ball crawls at Mc Donald's and Burger King. :rolleyes: Indeed, about 25% of people are just walking around with Staph. aureus on their skin. Anyone telling you that you're going to die of it when you're completely healthy is lying. That's another reason the comparison to HIV isn't very accurate. You tell em gringo!:biggrin1:

However, as I'm sure you know as a former nurse, Staph. aureus is one of if not the most common post-surgical infection as a result of its prevalence, and that's where it is killing most people.

So really, the best way to avoid getting a life-threatening infection of MRSA is to try to avoid having to get surgery.
:rolleyes: I was with you up until that last smart alecky remark. :cool:

Good friends of mine have been infected with MRSA.
Scares the shit out of me, especially working in a restaurant.
Well according to Dr. Phil all you crazy, college kids are no better than a bunch of drunken sailors on shore leave. :tongue: It's no wonder y'all get sick. :biggrin1: j/k

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual

:rolleyes: I was with you up until that last smart alecky remark. :cool:

:rolleyes:

I was being completely serious. I'm not sure why anyone would interpret it otherwise. Things like eating healthy, exercising, not smoking, not getting needless cosmetic surgery, being careful while driving... there are many ways to consciously avoid having to get surgery (just as there are some ways that are unavoidable).

I am baffled by how you would interpret that statement otherwise. Like, how would someone say that "smart alecky"? And why would someone in the profession of health say it that way? Seriously, think about it. I'm so tired of being misinterpreted by people looking for things to argue with that aren't there on this forum.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm so tired of being misinterpreted by people looking for things to argue with that aren't there on this forum.

Put on your damn boxing gloves, boy, see how many rounds you can go with me. In pudding, too. I don't do no boxing unless there's custardy dairy product involved.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Okay. I have two lengthy articles that I have found via my schools library webpage... I cannot post links because you have to login to see them, so I'll just copy and paste some interesting info about MRSA from one of the articles that was published on 8/24/2007.

In the past, resistant pathogens spread mainly in hospitals. But today an especially virulent strain of MRSA has emerged outside of hospitals, making infection control even tougher.

“Every hospital in the country has a policy for handling MRSA,” but “we have failed dismally” in getting a handle on it, says Montefiore Medical Center's Currie. “A lot of the guidance on infection control is not data-based.”

The University of Maryland's medical center now screens everyone checking into its nine intensive-care units for MRSA, whether the patient shows signs of infection or not. “There's debate in the United States over whether [such] 'active surveillance' works,” says medical director Standiford. “I believe it does and that it saves money in the long run” by identifying the “reservoirs of infection” — non-symptomatic patients who can spread the bug. “Every time you get MRSA in the bloodstream, it costs the hospital $20,000 at least” because the patient's stay is so much longer.

In hospitals, the confining of infected patients once halted the spread of contagion, but with the number of infections growing, many hospitals don't have enough separate areas to confine patients, says Allison Aiello, an assistant professor of epidemiology at the University of Michigan School of Public Health.

And with the new, highly virulent strain of MRSA popping up in the community, infection control becomes even harder. More patients already have a resistant infection when they enter a hospital, and no one knows how the CA-MRSA strain spreads, says Robert Daum, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Chicago.

During the past decade, the federal government has taken stabs at attacking the antimicrobial-resistance problem but hasn't sustained its support. In 1999 the CDC established a Federal Interagency Task Force to Combat Microbial Resistance, which issued an action plan in 2001. The inadequately funded panel, however, has the tools to do little “but issue an annual laundry list of uncoordinated activities,” says Guidos of the Infectious Disease Society of America.

In 2000, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., and former Sen. Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., a cardiac surgeon, authorized $40 million in annual funding for resistance research and federal initiatives like the task force. But Congress never appropriated any funds, says Guidos. In 2001, for example, then-Rep. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio — now a senator — and Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, sponsored legislation to fund the programs, “but no funding ever came,” Guidos says.

Moreover, jurisdictional struggles between the CDC and the states makes surveillance of resistance difficult, says Feldgarden at the Alliance for the Prudent Use of Antibiotics. Too often, “there's a one-way highway for information. It goes up to the CDC and then doesn't get back to the states,” he says. And states don't always hold up their end of the reporting bargain, he adds. “Unless they get money, states don't want to play nice with the CDC.”

The CDC and state public-health agencies already issue many disease-surveillance reports, and “diseases don't go away. So if you want to add something” — such as resistance — “you need to add money,” Feldgarden explains. But in recent years states haven't been adding money for public health.

“It's ridiculous that CVS [pharmacy] knows more about the [birthday] cards I send to my mother” than health agencies know about developing infectious outbreaks, says Feldgarden. “Real-time reporting is essential, because once you're beyond the anecdote stage, look out.”

Unlike in previous decades, MRSA is now invading facilities such as sports locker rooms, jails and day-care centers and threatens even healthy people, says University of Chicago pediatrics professor Daum, and it's more potent than hospital-acquired MRSA. After first turning up in a handful of cases, community-acquired (CA) MRSA has seen “an explosive increase over the past 10 years in city after city,” he says, beginning in the Midwest and Texas, then spreading to the West Coast and finally in the East. “And when it comes, it doesn't leave.”
Today “perfectly healthy people are coming in with MRSA infections,” he says, whereas in the past they developed only in hospitalized patients.
And many times the victims have never heard of the disease. “When we got the cause of [our son's] death, I had never heard of MRSA,” recalls Everly Macario, a public-health researcher and writer in Chicago whose year-and-a-half-old son Simon died of CA-MRSA in 2004. The child, who had appeared to have a minor throat infection, awoke screaming with pain one morning. Doctors later discovered that toxins from the bacteria were attacking his organs. “By 10 that night he was dead,” Macario says.
While hospitals still have a tough time containing traditional, hospital-acquired MRSA in their facilities, containing the community-acquired version — which causes more severe illness and appears to be more contagious — presents a more daunting challenge, says Daum. And CA-MRSA is beginning to spread to hospitals.

State public-health agencies didn't immediately realize that the new MRSA was a public-health problem, because they thought it was hospital-related, says Daum. But the “CDC is now really on board with the idea that this is something new,” he says.

And as Macario found, no one is safe. “My parents are scientists, so I'm anal about washing hands,” she says. “In my own home I want everything to be immaculate. I had breast fed Simon for a year, and he was up to date on all his inoculations.”

Scientists don't know how CA-MRSA is spread, says Daum. For example, “I don't know what the role of inanimate objects is,” such as whether the bacteria can survive and spread to other people if a person with an abscess, for example, sits on a doctor's table, he says.

“Staph is an amazing foe,” Daum says. Some bacteria are easy to fight because they have limited ways to carry out certain functions, such as adhering to human cells. If the immune system counters that method, it can neutralize the bug. But staph has multiple means of accomplishing some basic functions, making it much more formidable, he points out. And while vaccines usually stimulate the immune system to produce a key antibody that can stop a microbe, he says, “staph is not going to yield to an approach like that.”

Hospital-acquired MRSA is also on the rise. According to a 2007 study by the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, 34 out of every 1,000 hospital patients (3.4 percent) have active HA-MRSA infections; another 12 patients are “colonized” with the bug, which means they could contract or spread the disease. That amounts to up to 1.2 million patients infected annually and between 48,000 and 119,000 deaths — far more than epidemiologists previously thought. A study released in 2005 by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that only 3.9 of every 1,000 patients (0.39 percent) had active MRSA infections. At a minimum, treating HA-MRSA costs the United States between $3 billion and $4 billion annually.
In fact, all bacteria — not just MRSA — and other microbes like viruses and fungi are becoming resistant to antimicrobial drugs. But antibiotic-resistant bacteria are causing the most concern, because most have been successfully treated with antibiotics for decades, while treating other kinds of microbes has been less successful.

Among other dangerous bacteria showing resistance, klebsiella pneumoniaeklebsiella can cause several kinds of urinary-tract and wound infections in hospitalized people, says Michael Feldgarden, research director of the Boston-based Alliance for the Prudent Use of Antibiotics. And if develops resistance, Feldgarden explains, “a whole bunch of other organisms” will begin developing resistance as well.

Another hospital-based resistant pathogen, acinetobacter, has afflicted many soldiers wounded in the Iraq War, often forcing infected limbs to be amputated. “It's totally resistant to all antibiotics but doesn't have the virulence of MRSA,” says Harold Standiford, medical director of infection control and antimicrobial effectiveness at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore.

And tuberculosis (TB) — which kills 2 million worldwide a year, more than any other infectious disease — is becoming increasingly resistant. In the five years from 2000 to 2005, multi-drug-resistant TB (MDR-TB) increased from 275,000 cases to at least 460,000, mostly in Russia, China and India.
Inadequately treated MDR-TB may evolve further into “extensively drug-resistant” TB (XDR-TB), which is impervious to almost all drugs. It was the initial diagnosis given to Atlanta lawyer Andrew Speaker, who made headlines around the world in May for sneaking back into the United States after learning of his diagnosis — potentially exposing his fellow airline passengers to TB. Speaker claimed he feared he would die if he stayed in Europe, where he had honeymooned against doctors' advice.
Only 30 to 50 percent of patients with XDR-TB recover from the deadly illness. Speaker was later found to have MDR-TB, not the lethal XDR variety.

Attachments

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Good hygiene is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of infection with any disease. I don't know that you need to go overboard on the ethanol jelly etc in everyday life though. Soap and water are usually enough because intact skin will keep out most bacteria and viruses. In hospitals and kitchens though, it's a different story and they should be used routinely.

Barriers like gloves and condoms are also good methods of protection. In this day and age, I find it incredible that so many people are still having unsafe sex. Condoms are readily available. Use them.