Ms Teacher.banned

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
It isnt unusual we have a number of banned members who have revisited and continue to revisit the scene. It just so happens that this particular person has views that are offensive to members on the board and is vehement about them .

Neither of those things are actually a bannable offence though naughty, are they. You can be vehement about something without crossing the line to ToS violating harassment - and a person's opinion can always been put in such a way that, while it may be distasteful to many, it isn't a personal attack. The problem was not with Ms.Teacher's posts, but the fact that the person behind the ID had been perma-banned - that's the same reason Italian1, Radiant and apparently this luv2luv incarnation were banned - because the AndyA account was originally perma-banned for harassing etc. Nothing I saw Ms.Teacher do broke the ToS had 'she' not been the same person who was banned as AndyA.

Sorry to nit-pick, but I think that is an important distinction.

They should only be visible to logged in users - because there is a specific setting in the CP I can only assume that Rob is doing it on purpose. Though I suppose it could be part of a 'Pret-a-Porter' update he has run and he'll get round to turning it off shortly.

Edit: Just logged off to check and I can still see the images - which means something does need to be done about that.
2nd Edit: Actually - no, you can't see them when you are logged off - that was a caching issue - if I log off and clear cache and come back to this page I can't see the images - so images of dangly bits can only be seen by somebody who signs up (i.e. says they are 18).

YAAAY!!!! I love visual attachments! They're so much fun and will save me from writing a few thousand words (for which there will be much rejoicing among the members).

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Neither of those things are actually a bannable offence though naughty, are they. You can be vehement about something without crossing the line to ToS violating harassment - and a person's opinion can always been put in such a way that, while it may be distasteful to many, it isn't a personal attack. The problem was not with Ms.Teacher's posts, but the fact that the person behind the ID had been perma-banned - that's the same reason Italian1, Radiant and apparently this luv2luv incarnation were banned - because the AndyA account was originally perma-banned for harassing etc. Nothing I saw Ms.Teacher do broke the ToS had 'she' not been the same person who was banned as AndyA.

I did not say that is why he was banned. I did however say that he is not unusual in attempting to revisit the board after being banned. But he has probably gotten a more universally negative reaction because of his views.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the site should log banned people's IP addresses, and then when they try and visit, have the site direct them to http://fuckoff.com/

Interesting suggestion, I am sure however where this is a will there is always a way. We have seen it evidenced here time and again.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Neither of those things are actually a bannable offence though naughty, are they.
<...>
No, being vehement isn't a bannable offense. In any of its longer-lived incarnations, though, this troll has proven repeatedly that it can't be on here long without harassing and stalking. Radiant was only active for a couple of days, as I recall, before being re-banned; and Ms Teacher managed to hide its identity for a bit longer (but then the harassing posts were starting to manifest).

I think the site should log banned people's IP addresses, and then when they try and visit, have the site direct them to http://fuckoff.com/
The parts of the IP address that identify the provider and location are helpful in confirming some things, but automatically blocking a specific IP address would likely be more harmful than helpful. If everyone had a static IP address, it would be great, but I think most people have dynamic IP addresses... that is, the address can change easily, by a number of methods (as simple sometimes as rebooting...)

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
No, being vehement isn't a bannable offense. In any of its longer-lived incarnations, though, this troll has proven repeatedly that it can't be on here long without harassing and stalking. Radiant was only active for a couple of days, as I recall, before being re-banned; and Ms Teacher managed to hide its identity for a bit longer (but then the harassing posts were starting to manifest).

I wasn't saying the ban was unjust - it wasn't. But the way naughty put that it could be inferred that the MsTeacher account's posts broke the ToS in some way - that's not what naughty meant, but it could be inferred.

I'm not defending AndyA (et al :rolleyes:) he DID break the ToS (in a way that the vast majority of members recognise as breaking the ToS) and was perma-banned for it, so of course MsTeacher had to go. What I am defending is the right to argue vehemently and have individual opinions :smile:

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
...MsTeacher was also: Radiant, Italian978, Italian1, AndyA, andy112311. Once you have been banned permanently, you may not come back. He originally was banned for being a troll.

You, and others, seem very sure of that. I'm not so sure, but I have to confess that I haven't investigated too deeply.

AndyA was before my time here, but I remember Italian978/Italian1 quite well. I agree that he was a homophobe as well as HIV/AIDS phobic, and took irrational positions on things like anal sex and strategies for HIV prevention.

In spite of many calm, respectful efforts to reason with him, he would just repeat the same old arguments over and over. While his homophobia was obvious to many of us, he'd insist that he wasn't homophobic, but that he just had a different opinion on these issues. As others have noted, when people disagreed with him, he'd play the victim and act as if there was an attempt to stifle different opinions on the board. (Similarly, various anti-gay groups often make similar claims about the gay rights and marriage equality movements.)

When he was posting on other topics, he seemed reasonble enough, even likeable. It seemed to be that he was genuinely unable to recognize his own homophobia, and for that I pitied him a bit. Nevertheless, having recognized him for the homophobe he was, and knowing how futile it was to try to open his eyes, I wasn't sorry to see him go.

I noticed that several people accused him of being AndyA. Having not known AndyA, I had no opinion on the matter.

Since then, I've noticed something curious. Every now and then a newbie will say something that seems a bit homophobic. It's not uncommon to then see someone accuse that person of being AndyA (or one of his other various incarnations), often on the basis of a single, short post. I think a couple of newbies who posted in this thread have already been accused of being AndyA/Italian/MsTeacher.

Well, I recognize that there are homophobes in the world--most of them are just ignorant and change their tune once they get to know a gay person. I have friends and relatives who were homophobic before they got to know me, and I was (gradually, over time) able to enlighten them on various issues. So I usually give homophobes the benefit of the doubt. I assume they are immature and/or ignorant, and that there is room for them to grow. I don't instantly assume that they are all AndyA.

MsTeacher I was (apparently) fortunate enough not to have encountered, probably because I'm not as active on the forum as I once was. However, after reading this thread, I skimmed through the last few pages of her posts to see if she was, indeed, Italian978/Italian1. Maybe I didn't go back far enough, but I don't see the resemblance. Even if she was a homophobe, are we sure she was the same homophobe back again and not a new one?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
MsTeacher I was (apparently) fortunate enough not to have encountered, probably because I'm not as active on the forum as I once was. However, after reading this thread, I skimmed through the last few pages of her posts to see if she was, indeed, Italian978/Italian1. Maybe I didn't go back far enough, but I don't see the resemblance. Even if she was a homophobe, are we sure she was the same homophobe back again and not a new one?
Meniscus, I don't blame you for not wanting to read back through hundreds of posts to find that information. But if you've read even a couple of my posts in this thread, you'd most likely find your answer.

Ms Teacher made references to threads and posts that were 6 to 12 months before she joined. Some of her comments were nearly word for word the same erroneous assumptions that Italian made. Her attacks and assumptions focusing on Lex and me as "an item" iced the cake.

If they were not the same person, her plagiarism was even creepier than the thought of such an obsessed, recycled troll.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Meniscus, I don't blame you for not wanting to read back through hundreds of posts to find that information...Ms Teacher made references to threads and posts that were 6 to 12 months before she joined. Some of her comments were nearly word for word the same erroneous assumptions that Italian made...

You're right, I didn't (and don't) want to go through all those posts, but this info answers my question, and I'll take you're word for it. Thanks.