MSNBC Journalist Ed Schultz - Suspended

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ed Schultz was suspended from his nighttime talk show on MSNBC after it was found out that he called talk show host Laura Ingraham a "right wing slut" on his radio program. On Wednesday night, Schultz went onto his show, made a 4 minute public apology, announced that he was sorry and that he was suspended from his show without pay for an indefinite amount of time.

YouTube - ‪Ed Schultz Apology To Laura Ingraham For Calling Her A "Right-Wing Slut"‬‏

Curious to hear what other people say first before I chime in. :wink:

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Ed Schultz was suspended from his nighttime talk show on MSNBC after it was found out that he called talk show host Laura Ingraham a "right wing slut" on his radio program. On Wednesday night, Schultz went onto his show, made a 4 minute public apology, announced that he was sorry and that he was suspended from his show without pay for an indefinite amount of time.

YouTube - ‪Ed Schultz Apology To Laura Ingraham For Calling Her A "Right-Wing Slut"‬‏

I don't want watch the Ed Show on MSNBC and I don't listen to him on radio, but I suspect if the shoe was on the other foot, you wouldn't get a Fox News contributor making an lengthy apology on-air like this.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

I believe suspension is appropriate, I just wish they had a set time table for it. If Schultz had made the comment off air then no I don't know that a suspension would have been warranted (would have depended where he was making the comment and any past behavior of the same type).

I'm not familiar with Schultz so I don't know if he is constantly pushing the envelope or if this was a 1 time mistake. I hold all the talkers to the same standards from both the right and the left.

D

deleted213967

Funny how a man (manbearpig in his case) expected to champion women and their rightful place in society will not hesitate to treat them with the most debasing vulgarity when they happen not to share his worldview.

The far right has the Larry Craig hypocites.

The far left has the Ed Schultz hypocites.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Here we have what 9 out of 10 radio and television call-in show hosts from both sides seem to practice:

Attachments

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Funny how a man (manbearpig in his case) expected to champion women and their rightful place in society will not hesitate to treat them with the most debasing vulgarity when they happen not to share his worldview.

Yeah, but the far left ones can own up to their mistakes and apologize while the far right hypocrites make lame ass excuses( Larry's wide stance and Newt's patriotism)

D

deleted213967

Yeah, but the far left ones can own up to their mistakes and apologize while the far right hypocrites make lame ass excuses( Larry's wide stance and Newt's patriotism)

I despise Larry Craig at least as much as you seem to despise him.

As for Schultz's perfunctory, management-mandated apology, I have no doubt that he really thought "cunt" but settled for "slut" on the air.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

"the most debasing vulgarity"? You need to get out more. Or just choose the words in your faux indignation more carefully.

manbearpig? Really? Gee, that's almost as bad as "slut".

Larry Craig and Ed Schultz make for an extremely poor analogy. A disservice to them both.

It's spelled "hypocrites".

And yet another big league eye-roll for the quoted post.

D

deleted213967

"the most debasing vulgarity"? You need to get out more. Or just choose the words in your faux indignation more carefully.

manbearpig? Really? Gee, that's almost as bad as "slut".

Larry Craig and Ed Schultz make for an extremely poor analogy. A disservice to them both.

It's spelled "hypocrites".

And yet another big league eye-roll for the quoted post.

La fine fleur des salons parisiens© me prête tant d'attention. :redface:

Sorry about the missing r&r...fine fleur.

Sorry about calling your personal hero a manbearpig. At least it's off-the-air. :redface:

As for the analogy...Well...I'd have to pinch my nose and close my eyes, but I'd still pick Craig in a fuck challenge. He may be fugly, but at least he still has a human shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I despise Larry Craig at least as much as you seem to despise him.

As for Schultz's perfunctory, management-mandated apology, I have no doubt that he really thought "cunt" but settled for "slut" on the air.

At least you spelled it right, but I don't think 4 minutes of multiple apologies as well as personal phone calls to the aggrieved party constitutes as "perfunctory". Read the definition:

per·func·to·ry/pərˈfəNGktərē/

Adjective: (of an action or gesture) Carried out with a minimum of effort or reflection.
On top of that, you said it was "management-mandated". Are you in the upper management of NBCUniversal now? You know what's going on there, do you? Congrats... perhaps in between dialogues with the upper echelon there, you can clue us all in on the plot-lines for the next season of 30 Rock. If you have a legitimate source inside the company who is on the record regarding this issue, please share it with us.

What I saw in the video was a pretty good journalist who made an inexcusable and stupid mistake, realized it hurt his credibility, and apologized for it within a day of the event. He didn't sidestep the issue or blame others. Hardly perfunctory and since he beat management to the punchline when it came to taking himself off the air (watch the video again), I don't think you can claim it's "management-mandated" either.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Excusing the nonsense of certain so-called "in the middle" types who do nothing but grandstand about having a neutral opinion by labeling and virtually pushing anyone else around them to the extremes, let's try to look at this issue objectively.

First off, one incident of a person calling a woman a "slut" does not rewrite or completely negate their long standing history of support for Women's Rights. There isn't a single adult on this board (or on this planet) who have not used the term "slut" to describe another person in either a joking or slanderous way. Anyone claiming otherwise is not being honest with themselves and needs to stop faking it.

With that said, Ed Schultz does deserve to be reprimanded for what he said because what he did was not professional. Regardless of what kind of gutter words we use among ourselves in private, there's a certain decorum a journalist needs to adhere to when addressing the public. He crossed that line and now he's paying the price. Is it a bit steep? Perhaps, considering the person he slandered is an admitted homophobe and has engaged in slanderous talk against her critics on the air as well as in print form (aka "The Obama Diaries"). But MSNBC made the decision to do what they think is best to convey a solid image. Although I doubt Schultz is going to be gone that long. Much worse things have been said over the airwaves towards much better people.

On a side note, the ability to filter one's comments to convey a message that is not so condemning is not a bad thing. It shows an ability to control one's emotions, to watch what they say, and to conduct themselves like an adult. Granted, Ed Schultz calling someone a "slut" is not the best example of this. However, even if he did think something more venomous (such as the word "cunt") the damage could have been more devastating if he simply didn't give a fuck and blurted it out as if he was waving the 1st Amendment tattooed to his dick. MANY people do that around here, however I won't mention names. This is now my 10,000th post, and after all of the heated arguments I've had with several of the more logically questionable souls on this board (and I won't mention names here either), you can be best assured that what I sometimes think can be 10 times more vicious and hurtful than what I type. But I at least have enough respect to try and keep my emotions under control while expressing myself even though it doesn't mean that I formulate every response I make with the utmost of kindness. And hopefully, if I'm here to reach 20,000 posts in a few more years some of my opposition will come to their senses and figure that out.

Now who's nude photos should I drool over for my 10,001st post? :biggrin:

Last edited:

B_24065

1st Like
Media

It was highly inappropriate for Shultz to say what he said but he earned my respect when he admitted on nation TV his mistake, apologized, and asked laura Ingram for her forgiveness. Only real men do that. He seemed very sincere. No one is perfect, especially in politics, and Schultz's humility was a breadth of fresh air.

parr

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Excusing the nonsense of certain so-called "in the middle" types who do nothing but grandstand about having a neutral opinion by labeling and virtually pushing anyone else around them to the extremes, let's try to look at this issue objectively.

First off, one incident of a person calling a woman a "slut" does not rewrite or completely negate their long standing history of support for Women's Rights. There isn't a single adult on this board (or on this planet) who have not used the term "slut" to describe another person in either a joking or slanderous way. Anyone claiming otherwise is not being honest with themselves and needs to stop faking it.

With that said, Ed Schultz does deserve to be reprimanded for what he said because what he did was not professional. Regardless of what kind of gutter words we use among ourselves in private, there's a certain decorum a journalist needs to adhere to when addressing the public. He crossed that line and now he's paying the price. Is it a bit steep? Perhaps, considering the person he slandered is an admitted homophobe and has engaged in slanderous talk against her critics on the air as well as in print form (aka "The Obama Diaries"). But MSNBC made the decision to do what they think is best to convey a solid image. Although I doubt Schultz is going to be gone that long. Much worse things have been said over the airwaves towards much better people.

On a side note, the ability to filter one's comments to convey a message that is not so condemning is not a bad thing. It shows an ability to control one's emotions, to watch what they say, and to conduct themselves like an adult. Granted, Ed Schultz calling someone a "slut" is not the best example of this. However, even if he did think something more venomous (such as the word "cunt") the damage could have been more devastating if he simply didn't give a fuck and blurted it out as if he was waving the 1st Amendment tattooed to his dick. MANY people do that around here, however I won't mention names. This is now my 10,000th post, and after all of the heated arguments I've had with several of the more logically questionable souls on this board (and I won't mention names here either), you can be best assured that what I sometimes think can be 10 times more vicious and hurtful than what I type. But I at least have enough respect to try and keep my emotions under control while expressing myself even though it doesn't mean that I formulate every response I make with the utmost of kindness. And hopefully, if I'm here to reach 20,000 posts in a few more years some of my opposition will come to their senses and figure that out.

Now who's nude photos should I drool over for my 10,001st post? :biggrin:

Thank you for being fair in this matter.:biggrin1:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Regardless of what "Ed said", I personally regard her a slut based only on the number of men she has slept with. If that number isn't high enough to qualify her for slut hood then she's just a cunt.

If they need a fill-in for "The Ed Show", I elect MLB. :biggrin1: