Mugabe: 'With or without Tsvangirai'

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, it took longer to unravel than I expected. Regardless, any 'deal' agreed now would be a mere charade.

"Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe is expected to get the green light from his Zanu-PF party to form a government with or without the opposition, party officials said.

This move would likely finish off a fragile power-sharing pact which has been deadlocked for months while the parties have fought over control of key cabinet posts." - ITN.

In an perverse twist, Mugabe has hinted at fresh elections should the power sharing 'deal' collapse. I guess he's been busy printing its 'results' since the last ones in March.

Meanwhile the economic situation has descended to levels of catastrophe that defy belief.

"The Zimbabwe dollar on Friday [Dec 19] plunged by more than 50 percent in a space of 24 hours following the unveiling of the Zd 10 billion note by the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ).

The Zimbabwe dollar, which was pegged at Zd 350 000 against a single unit of the US dollar, on Friday shot to Zd 900 000, according to black market rates.

The Zd 10 billion note, the highest bank note in the world, is now equivalent to only USd 10.
"

The latest figure for annual inflation I have read is 230 Million %.

mrpond

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mugabe has given more fodder for racists than perhaps any other living person, and perhaps this is his agenda.

He is a cunt.

racists dont fodder. Mugabe is Mugabe and racists are racists, no connection.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
And let's not forget his open armed approach to the gay community:rolleyes::eek:

"Degrades human dignity. It's unnatural and there is no question ever of allowing these people to behave worse than dogs and pigs. If dogs and pigs do not do it, why must human beings? We have our own culture, and we must re-dedicate ourselves to our traditional values that make us human beings... What we are being persuaded to accept is sub-animal behaviour and we will never allow it here. If you see people parading themselves as lesbians and gays, arrest them and hand them over to the police!"

Or this gem....

"But if they have come as individuals to enhance their moral entity as human beings, and to cure them from their diseased way of life, then they have come to the right place," President Mugabe added. "This is the church, this is the organisation that can purge them."

StrictlyAvg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
racists dont fodder. Mugabe is Mugabe and racists are racists, no connection.

Don't agree with the no connection bit. Racist ex-colonials always look for examples that back up their theories that they did a better job of running the country and African countries cannot look after themselves without descending into tribal and/or civil wars. Mugabe throws the baby out with the bathwater by breaking up profitable farms and cooperatives and, by any means to gain control in other ways, then plunging the country into recession and they've got propaganda handed to them on a plate. The hangovers of colonialism imposing artificial borders where previously there was tribalism and migration is going to be a hangover for some while yet.

Mugabe has a lot to answer for!

mrpond

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't agree with the no connection bit. Racist ex-colonials always look for examples that back up their theories that they did a better job of running the country and African countries cannot look after themselves without descending into tribal and/or civil wars. Mugabe throws the baby out with the bathwater by breaking up profitable farms and cooperatives and, by any means to gain control in other ways, then plunging the country into recession and they've got propaganda handed to them on a plate. The hangovers of colonialism imposing artificial borders where previously there was tribalism and migration is going to be a hangover for some while yet.

Mugabe has a lot to answer for!

again...racists dont need fodder from mugabe's regime to be racists, they'll get their warped views from anywhere; no mugabe doesnt equate less racism, surely... again no connection.

plus if the white farmers hadnt dragged their feet over land distrubition for so long (15 years ) then that wouldnt have given the fodder for mugabe's regime to legitimize seizing the farms

Last edited:

StrictlyAvg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No they don't NEED fodder - in this case it's effectively handed to them on a plate!

Turning a country with a fairly solid economy and relatively decent infrastructure into a hyper-inflationary, despotically controlled 3rd world mess is not endearing him to his own people, his neighbours or anyone else in the world. If he'd made a success of the economy and ran the country in a way that benefitted the people instead of dragging everyone back to the dark ages by paying lip service to collectivism and making a royal mess of it - do you then think those who formerly ran the place would have any ammunition for attacking him on the basis of race?

Anyway - the race card is a side issue and we won't solve anything by arguing whether it is or isn't. What everyone with an interest in Zim would like is a stable economy, backed up with healthcare and education systems that work because of government not in spite of it; and a ruling body that works without suppressing people and the media to hold onto its power. With Mugabe on the scene that's clearly not going to happen.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
again...racists dont need fodder from mugabe's regime to be racists, they'll get their warped views from anywhere; no mugabe doesnt equate less racism, surely... again no connection.

Drifter didn't say he equated Mugabe with Racism, merely that he was a source of inspiration for them. Ironically, I'm still not entirely convinced that much of his racial invective isn't contrived solely for public consumption as opposed to being heart felt. In any event, as another poster has noted - the racial elements of the current situation, regardless of their significance in its genesis - have become something of a side issue.

plus if the white farmers hadnt dragged their feet over land distrubition for so long (15 years ) then that wouldnt have given the fodder for mugabe's regime to legitimize seizing the farms

Well, they had a 10 year constitutional buffer within which to get their act together but, as is often the case in former colonies they decided to bury their heads in the sand.

Mugabe would have persued agressive land re-allocation policies regardless of any concessions by whites I'm sure - his motivation was primarily political, Nkomo and his supporters had been 'dealt with' (thanks in part to Pyongyang and Mbeke) - he needed a new enemy.

This is a generalisation of course; but had white land owners (primarily those of the largest commercial farms) been less intransigent, the worst effects may have been mitigated but given Mugabe's actions in Matabeleland it's tricky to see how we wouldn't likely have ended up here regardless. Of course the incompetence of the UK Government in underwriting many of these farmers didn't help foster much incentive to compromise.

While Mugabe remains, the corpse of a country that is Zimbabwe will continue to decay. I have not been in a while I dread to think how much worse it's become, and I worry about my friends.

Last edited:

mrpond

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Drifter didn't say he equated Mugabe with Racism, merely that he was a source of inspiration for them. Ironically, I'm still not entirely convinced that much of his racial invective isn't contrived solely for public consumption as opposed to being heart felt. In any event, as another poster has noted - the racial elements of the current situation, regardless of their significance in its genesis - have become something of a side issue.

Well, they had a 10 year constitutional buffer within which to get their act together but, as is often the case in former colonies they decided to bury their heads in the sand.

Mugabe would have persued agressive land re-allocation policies regardless of any concessions by whites I'm sure - his motivation was primarily political, Nkomo and his supporters had been 'dealt with' (thanks in part to Pyongyang and Mbeke) - he needed a new enemy.

This is a generalisation of course; but had white land owners (primarily those of the largest commercial farms) been less intransigent, the worst effects may have been mitigated but given Mugabe's actions in Matabeleland it's tricky to see how we wouldn't likely have ended up here regardless. Of course the incompetence of the UK Government in underwriting many of these farmers didn't help foster much incentive to compromise.

While Mugabe remains, the corpse of a country that is Zimbabwe will continue to decay. I have not been in a while I dread to think how much worse it's become, and I worry about my friends.

im sure drifter can speak for himself in what he meant. that aside the other african nations should hold their heads in shame in watching a country die on the vine like they're doing now.

Nero fiddles while Rome burns

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i uure drifter can speak for himself what he meant. that a side the other african nations should hold their hands in shame in watching a country die on the vine like they're doing.

I'm sure he can, but then I wasn't speaking for Drifter, I was explaining my understanding of what he wrote. I did so because you seem to have misunderstood it. As for your other point (and I think the phrase is); "Hold their heads in shame" - I quite agree, but for the most part Africa doesn't work that way.

mrpond

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm sure he can, but then I wasn't speaking for Drifter, I was explaining my understanding of what he wrote. I did so because you seem to have misunderstood it. As for your other point (and I think the phrase is); "Hold their heads in shame" - I quite agree, but for the most part Africa doesn't work that way.

No misunderstanding of what Drifter said only your misunderstanding; and I thank thee for pointing out the error in connection with the word hands; being that is should of read heads. I didn't realise I was talking to the personification of perfection, but now I do.

Last edited:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No misunderstanding of what Drifter said only your misunderstanding; and i thank thee for pointing out the error in connection with the word hands; being that is should of read heads. I didn't realise I was talking to the personification of prefection, but now I do.

Unfortunately, I didn't learn gibberish at school. Nice try though, perhaps when you learn to write English you could return, and try again?

Until then ...

mrpond

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Unfortunately, I didn't learn gibberish at school. Nice try though, perhaps when you learn to write English you could return, and try again?

Until then ...

But you sure learnt how to be an arsewipe.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
Well, back in the day, Bob learned many of the tools of his trade from NK (as did Mbeke), so you make an interesting comparison - was it conscious or coincidental?

Entirely coincidental. :cool:

Though, somewhat truthful. I find the many problems in Zimbabwe far more harrowing than any of the bullshit that the 'cold war/'9-11' spotlight' insists on being focused on. Shame he doesn't have more oil. :rolleyes:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Though, somewhat truthful. I find the many problems in Zimbabwe far more harrowing than any of the bullshit that the 'cold war/'9-11' spotlight' insists on being focused on. Shame he doesn't have more oil. :rolleyes:

Well, 9/11, its consequences and corollaries are in 'our' back yard so we feel the impact directly and personally. We're still in the acute stage, yet to be numbed by decades of oppression and hardship - we still foster hope that there's light at the end of the tunnel even while we doggedly pursue the course that led us into it.

Perhaps 2009 will see a shift in the points or, perhaps not.

lipollo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Just a question to pose to everyone.

Can a country economically and politically embargoed by the whole world, can such a country have a healthy economy?

If the West was really caring for the Zimbabwean people they would lift all trade sanctions against the country, recall all debts - something which would in the short term dramatically increase the economic prosperity of the country and the living standards.