Murdoch/News Corp takeover of Sky braodcasting being investigated

StrictlyAvg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is an interesting development in many months of wrangling. Murdoch is known to have heavy influence on the content in his News Corp owned papers in the UK. And as you in the USA are aware, the content of Fox News has a certain "flavour" disliked by many.

So what are the thoughts on News Corp taking control of Sky?

Vince Cable has ordered an Ofcom investigation and the Euro Competition Commission will have to approve it. The other major media players in the UK have written expressing their concern at the move (though the BBC certainly has its own detractors in the political world).

I certainly have misgivings about the moneyed juggernaut seizing more of our media content looking at what they've done in the USA.

News Corp seeks European approval for takeover of Sky | Media | The Guardian

Broadcasting - News - Lords: 'Sky takeover a chilling prospect' - Digital Spy

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Did I see they have 1/3 and want the rest? what occured to me was if theyhave such a large chunk already and the other owners want to sell, how much difference does it make? If it was two completely separate companies and he was taking over a rival, well thats one thing, but buying the remainder of something where he already owns a large chunk?

I think I am right in saying there is only one satellite broadcaster in the uk? (shows how much influence it has on me!). That being so there is no real competition already. Controling the media has to take the form of regulatory control requiring high journalistic standards and monitoring prices. If he has competition it must be from digital terrestrial, which is good enougfh for the likes of me. The importnat thing is to keep him out of that. Upon which subject, I noted an item where the satellite people have bid for part of the work during switchover to digital tv from analog, where homeowners get free new hardarwe. Except that in his case, instead of a box to get terrestrial tv, naturally he gives them a free dish and satellite receiver. Now that is an issue.

StrictlyAvg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think it's more down to the fact his empire will then have full control of a sizeable chunk of TV, digital and newspaper reporting and probably more friends in high places than the BBC. I don't know that Sky News is about to threaten the dominance of BBC News just yet, but with full control of satellite broadcasting I do have some concerns.