Musclemen: Hot or not?

briefs

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Men who build muscle each take different paths to get big. Some techniques could be used by blue collar dudes to get a reasonable bulk, and a bulk fine with me. The bodybuilders who go past that First break and continue to other levels ought to show us all what it means to really go pro, for yourself or for a team.
I'm a lazy sob. Excercise is walk, maybe 2 mi round trip. Weightlifting the last few years is quad, bicep/tricep.

D_Ernest Porknine

Experimental Member
Media
I am actually a very muscular guy and if I am wearing a tank top out in public I get a LOT of looks, both from gals and guys. However the look from guys is mostly of admiration because I've had countless man walk up to me in public and comment about my physiqe or ask questions about training, etc. Mostly the questions is "how much can you bench?"

I've had very few women approach me although some have been so bold as to walk up to me in a store and ask if they can squeeze my biceps. I wonder how they would react if someone askded to squeeze their breasts?

Its kind of funny at times when people want to look or stare at me but don't want to get caught doing so. My wife will sometimes walk behind me just to watch the people turn around and gawk and point at me. It's kind of a rush and makes the hard work and diet feel all worth it at those moments.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
and look at you always looking big and strong...beautiful

Flatterer! I like the burly, butch, lumberjack type as well as the muscled guy look.

And I like your look (but you know that already).

... However the look from guys is mostly of admiration because I've had countless man walk up to me in public and comment about my physiqe or ask questions about training, etc. Mostly the questions is "how much can you bench?"

I never mind the training questions, but I think guys asking other guys what they can bench is just stupid. Not everyone trains to bench as much as possible. Not everyone ever tests their max weight. And in the end, what does it matter when the answer is usually, "More than you can."

rabbit12345

1st Like
Media
It is quite funny that big muscles = strength and fitness. However, this is quite deceiving and rather a result of the media and Hollywood.

High repetitions are performed to condition the body to withstand long periods of punishment that enhance its endurance (I don’t mean reps of 20). On the other hand, low repetitions are used to increase strength. Neither of these produces big muscles.

Bodybuilding and bodybuilding workouts are to produce a certain look. Unfortunately while they look strong, they are not nearly as strong as you expect they should be and they lack core strength. I am in no way against bodybuilding and I think its results look amazing and by no way easy to achieve, but it is not a true representation of strength and fitness.

rabbit12345

1st Like
Media
i don't find them attractive at all, frankly.

toned, fine...defined, fine.

once you start getting bulky, though, it starts becoming a turn off to me.

Many women feel like this, not all, but many and I always wondered why. I think subconsciously on a human instinct level back at primitive times someone bulky would require large amounts of food, which just wouldn’t be available. In addition to this they would find it difficult to hunt, because it requires speed and agility amongst other things.

Or maybe I analyse things too deeply, but interesting none the less.

D_Ernest Porknine

Experimental Member
Media
High repetitions are performed to condition the body to withstand long periods of punishment that enhance its endurance (I don’t mean reps of 20). On the other hand, low repetitions are used to increase strength. Neither of these produces big muscles.

How do you figure that low repetions (assuming you are using weights heavy enough that you can only do low repetions) do not produce big muscles? If they don't what does? Get a clue... they do, they have, and they always will.

rabbit12345

1st Like
Media
How do you figure that low repetions (assuming you are using weights heavy enough that you can only do low repetions) do not produce big muscles? If they don't what does? Get a clue... they do, they have, and they always will.

Are you meant to change my view with that post? I can never understand why people bring an attitude to forums and argue a point without facts.

Low reps “Do Not” produce massive muscles. Repetitions between 8 and 10 do.

The only time Bodybuilders switch to low or high reps is to rest their muscles from 8-10 reps and provide a variety (shock) to their muscles. However the majority of their training is focused on 8-10 reps, lowest being 6 reps.

If you want to argue low reps produce muscle then I can argue walking down the street produces muscle. However, a 3 rep bench press isn’t going to produce a solid thick chest. If you don’t believe me Google it and Youtube it and all these points will be backed up by professional athletes and sports scientists.

Reps fewer than 6 make you stronger, but they don’t make you bigger because the strength gains come from adaptations in the nervous system – the muscle fibers and other muscle cell structures do not hypertrophy (enlarge).

So as you said “How do I figure that low repetitions (assuming you are using weights heavy enough that you can only do low repetitions) do not produce big muscles?” Being and training alongside professional Strength and Conditioning coaches, 18 years of experience and being personal trained by champion bodybuilders, in addition to the ability to spell “repetitions.”

.... They don’t, they won’t and they always won’t.

Last edited:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Bodybuilding and bodybuilding workouts are to produce a certain look. Unfortunately while they look strong, they are not nearly as strong as you expect they should be and they lack core strength. I am in no way against bodybuilding and I think its results look amazing and by no way easy to achieve, but it is not a true representation of strength and fitness.
What do you have against bodybuilders?
To elaborate on your points, there are bodybuilders, powerlifters, weight lifters, and people who lift weights and exercise in order to be better at a sport, profession, or to be a fitness model.

And do you think you can get that big without any core work (deadlifts, good mornings, etc.)?

This is Branch Warren. He is a bodybuilder. Are you saying you expect him to be STRONGER than he is in these vids?

MuscleTech - 60 Seconds on Muscle, Branch Warren: Skull Crushers

MuscleTech - 60 Seconds on Muscle, Branch Warren: Machine Preacher Curls

MuscleTech - 60 Seconds on Muscle, Branch Warren: Standing Dumbell Curls

salthebb

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Like FlexxxFlintstone, when I am wearing a tank top, which is everyday in the warm weather, I always receive a lot of stares. I have women approach me in the weight room for advice. I have had women not only squeeze my biceps, but also my pecs and rub my lats. To be honest, that type of attention makes all the work worthwhile.

HaroldZoid

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Like FlexxxFlintstone, when I am wearing a tank top, which is everyday in the warm weather, I always receive a lot of stares. I have women approach me in the weight room for advice. I have had women not only squeeze my biceps, but also my pecs and rub my lats. To be honest, that type of attention makes all the work worthwhile.

What, does it just come up in conversation and they ask to feel it?

HaroldZoid

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Many times they just go ahead and cop a feel. I don't mind. The funny ones are the girls who squeeze my pecs and comment on how they feel like steel.

Thanks :smile:. Been lifting for a little over 5 years now. Experienced the stares, but maybe I should wear more form-fitting stuff, lol.

Seriously though, it feels great and I'm glad I'm at a point where I look forward to working out.

rabbit12345

1st Like
Media
What do you have against bodybuilders?
To elaborate on your points, there are bodybuilders, powerlifters, weight lifters, and people who lift weights and exercise in order to be better at a sport, profession, or to be a fitness model.

And do you think you can get that big without any core work (deadlifts, good mornings, etc.)?

This is Branch Warren. He is a bodybuilder. Are you saying you expect him to be STRONGER than he is in these vids?

MuscleTech - 60 Seconds on Muscle, Branch Warren: Skull Crushers

MuscleTech - 60 Seconds on Muscle, Branch Warren: Machine Preacher Curls

MuscleTech - 60 Seconds on Muscle, Branch Warren: Standing Dumbell Curls

Ex-Marine personal trainer at Golds gym who trains bodybuilders backs up my point. Forward to 0.58 seconds of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gZU-GkCCeo

I have nothing against Bodybuilding I used to be one....... I have not bashed bodybuilding in any way (re-read what I wrote please), I have merely stated the fact they are not the picture of health they are portrayed to be.

I think you are confused by my statement. I have not said they are NOT strong I have said they are “not as strong as they look”.

I can understand you not understanding this because we all grow up believing and seeing big muscles equals big strength. However, this is just wrong. Look at Olympic power lifts, they are not massive, but the weight they can lift in proportion to their bodyweight is massive.

I am well aware of Branch Warren, he looks amazing but he still doesn’t have the strength of a Wrestler, Brazilian Jujitsu artist, a MMA fighter, a cross fight trainer or power lifter.

Take for example Ross Enamit – Hes not a bodybuilder, but he is far fitter and stronger especially in body weight proportion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95D7lj-A6tA & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57pv_1j4dH0

As regards to your statement about core strength, ‘good mornings’ and ‘dead lifts’ are amazing exercises, but it is how one does them that produces its required results.

Someone doing 4 reps of 10 dead lifts isn’t going to acquire much strength or endurance, but they will develop rapid muscle growth. Someone who does 3 reps to 1 rep max dead lifts isn’t going to grow, but they will gain massive strength. Then if they combine it will high endurance training then they develop strong muscles that take longer to tire. Bodybuilders don’t train like this, and therefore, they are not as fit or as strong as they look.

It is no way an attack on bodybuilding; it is merely a scientific fact. Again I emphasise that there are countless books, videos, articles, scientific journals that prove my point.

Reactions: carterdustin88

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thanks for clarifying. You may note by my responses that, although I like muscles, I like a guy who is "big and strong" which can take on many connotations -- from big bellied lumberjacks, to MMA, to construction workers, to jocks, to muscled men, etc.

I don't necessarily expect bodybuilders, firefighters, powerlifters, MMA to have the same strength as they are training in different ways and for different purposes. It's like Professional Wrestlers -- they train to have big pumped muscles on camera and in person, so as John Cena once admitted, his bench is not what you would expect for a guy 6'2" and 250.

I have a buddy-he and his partner were doing this workout that had them lifting tons of weight, very short distances. IN the end, they were moving lots of weight (i.e., were strong) but their appearance did not change, so they dropped it as they would rather have more musculature than not.

To each his own, I guess. I understand that strength comes in many forms. My man is not a bodybuilder or powerlifter, and he out-lifts me on many exercises in the gym.

That said, this discussion is about whether we find muscles hot or not, not if the guys are strong, per sea (although I get your point about the common belief that more muscles = stronger).

rabbit12345

1st Like
Media
Thanks for clarifying. You may note by my responses that, although I like muscles, I like a guy who is "big and strong" which can take on many connotations -- from big bellied lumberjacks, to MMA, to construction workers, to jocks, to muscled men, etc.

I don't necessarily expect bodybuilders, firefighters, powerlifters, MMA to have the same strength as they are training in different ways and for different purposes. It's like Professional Wrestlers -- they train to have big pumped muscles on camera and in person, so as John Cena once admitted, his bench is not what you would expect for a guy 6'2" and 250.

I have a buddy-he and his partner were doing this workout that had them lifting tons of weight, very short distances. IN the end, they were moving lots of weight (i.e., were strong) but their appearance did not change, so they dropped it as they would rather have more musculature than not.

To each his own, I guess. I understand that strength comes in many forms. My man is not a bodybuilder or powerlifter, and he out-lifts me on many exercises in the gym.

That said, this discussion is about whether we find muscles hot or not, not if the guys are strong, per sea (although I get your point about the common belief that more muscles = stronger).

Not a problem, sorry to miss lead you. I never meant for my post to say bodybuilders ‘weren’t’ strong, or to cause a heated debate, I was just saying what was on my mind at the time.

Back on topic then:

I think (in my opinion): bodybuilders, fitness models, sprinters and gymnastic members have the best looking bodies. Whereas footballers, power lifts etc are extremely fit, but they lack the well ‘defined’ look.

One theory is that people find well developed bodies attractive because it symbolises they have more testosterone. This means stronger genes and strong immune system in the baby. Who knows??? J I just find it all interesting and found your opinions fascinating and challenging J