Music for the road...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dong20, Jun 12, 2006.

1. dong20

Gold Member

Today I feel happy. I was out of town this weekend to visit my folks for the first time in a long while and on the way, a strange thing happened:

Perhaps it was the combination of a blistering hot Summer day, the freedom of being out of town on the open road, the random selection of music with which I seem to have got lucky (Tom Waits through Siouxie and the Banshees to Sheryl Crowe then Juluka to Carly Simon and beyond...though looking back I think anything would have done it) and deserted motorways (millions watching England V Paraguay).

I felt I had the world to myself, mile after mile of shimmering, baking hot deserted roads flying beneath me at speeds way beyond those legally permitted...banging music at earsplitting volume, beaytiul women driving rag tops..I don't know what it was but, suddenly, I felt alive, that all was well with the world, I was no longer hostage to my own mortality. I could save the world from it's inequities.

The middle lane dorks and outside lane hogs couldn't dent it, the miles of roadworks in the Midlands couldn't make a mark, even the patrol cars and speed cameras were friendly adversaries to be toyed with..I didn't care, I was invincible.

Pardon the melodrama but I haven't felt that good in a while and today, back home, while I'm still basking in the warm afterglow of that feeling I wanted to ask:

Does driving the open, empty roads of a hot summers day ever induce such feelings of 'euphoria' and freedom in others, and what do you love to listen to as you pound the tarmac?

2. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yah, driving the open road with a CD changer full of my favorite tunes makes my day as well. Euphoria is the correct word for it and I know the feeling. My music? Rock, blues, dance, whatever.

Haven't driven any roads in the UK, dong, but here are a few of my U.S. favorite highways to drive on a sunny day with music:

U.S. 89 Mount Shasta, CA to Lake Tahoe CA.

U.S. 89 Sedona, AZ to Flagstaff, AZ

U.S. 1 San Francisco, CA to Morro Bay, CA

U.S. 84 Portland, OR to Hood River, OR

CA 120 over Tioga Pass through Yosemite National Park

UT 150 from Evanston, WY to Kamas, UT

3. dong20

Gold Member

Euphoria, It is the right word isn't it!! By US standards UK roads lack a sense of 'scale' but they have curves and dips and stuff which is fun cos of course American cars don't understand those which is why you have nice straight roads...:tongue:

I probably drove U.S. 89 through Sedona to Flagstaff years ago, I was driving from Pheonix and took a detour of I 17....via Camp Verde I think. I'm sorry to say I don't recall it specifically but the whole drive (to San Francisco) was great.

I went through Yosemite but I don't recall taking the Tioga pass road, it was over 16 years ago..:rolleyes:

4. chicagosam

Gold Member

Joy riding the backroads in Wisconsin is always a great time. Love that freedom and having the road to myself! For me, classical to pop can be playing. And I will be singing, too! Chicago driving? I'd rather stroke off with rough grade sandpaper! :biggrin1:

5. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Yea, the main "place" that you'll want to avoid is probably.. the South. Haha at the notion of a Brit with no idea where the fuck he is on a road trip down south. Hope being hogtied in the back of a Ford F-150 on a dirt road in Southern Alabama is appealing mate.

6. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Road trips are one of my greatest pleasures in life. I love to explore uncharted (by me) territory and try to take several trips a year. I've driven from Chicago (choking on foul air as I pass Gary, Indiana) to New Orleans and back, VA to Maine and back, all over Southern and Northern California to British Columbia, back and forth to the Midwest, etc. When I lived in Charlottesville, VA, I was always found the drive on I-64 to West Virginia breathtaking (I really wish the state wasn't shaving the tops off the mountains now). One of my goals is to drive on the Autobahn. Sigh.

Music is contingent on time of day and whatever my mood fancies at that moment. Memories from the last road trip include: "Mexican Moon" by Concrete Blonde, Paul Oakenfeld, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cure, Pink Floyd, Naked Raygun, Beatles, Stones, Queen, some 70's funk.

I love to hear Wagner when driving in the rain. Can't explain that one.

7. dong20

Gold Member

LOL...I always know exactly where I am...I may not like it of course but that's a whole other story.:smile: I don't know about Alabama but I guess those nice folks in southern Lousiana must have taken pity on my poor dumb Brit ass.

Sorry for not remembering the name and number of every road I drove on over 16 yrs ago...it didn't seem as important as the experience.:biggrin1: But next time I see folk that look like extras from Deliverence here in Blighty I'll be sure to give them a hearty welcome. :rolleyes:

8. dong20

Gold Member

I like the classics to drive to as well, but like you it depends on the mood which can be set by the music so go figure. The Autobahns are good, but I think about 60% are speed limited. I only drove on one unrestricted one from North of Hamburg towards Puttgarden (enroute for ferry to Denmark) on a bike, 160 mph is too hard to keep up for long, even motorway bends seem tight and there is no spare brain capacity for music.:eek: Back off to about 130 and it's a great ride.

I was young and immortal in those days...sigh.:rolleyes:

9. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I hear you, dong. During my immortal years, I once redlined at around 120 in Oklahoma at 1 a.m. in a '73 mach 1 Mustang, but alas, 15 miles was all I dared even then. Ah, the memories of a misspent youth.

10. dong20

Gold Member

You romantic...:biggrin1:

11. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually, I reserve Vivaldi and Telemann for those moments:wink:

12. Shelby

Gold Member

I think it was Mark Twain who said, "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." :tongue:

13. prickleyguy

prickleyguy Member

Albums:
    I have Sirius Satellite Radio in my truck with 210 thousand miles on it, I drive great distances and love the fact that I can pick a type of music I feel like listening to and the station never fades away. :smile:

14. findfirefox

Gold Member

If I ever go on a long car ride with someone I always bring my XM radio for some good music. I still love the 90's on 9.

15. curiouscat9

curiouscat9 New Member

My best thinking is done while long-distance driving. It gives me the same clarity of thought I get just as I wake up in the morning. It is generally one of my most creative thinking times.

Music-wise depends on my mood. Sometimes I will listen to opera, sometimes rock (in all its forms), sometimes jazz and/or big band. My all-time favorite is Van Morrison though, he is a brilliant poet. I will also listen to "old" country tunes if I am taking a country road. It all somehow connects. About the only thing I won't listen to is rap. It makes me drive angry.

16. bigone,babe

bigone,babe New Member

Queen's "Dont stop me now". Nothing better than speeding down an empty road and having that song blaring through the speakers.:biggrin1: If anyone wants to hear it, pm me and Ill email you a copy of it.

17. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    That was probably it. U.S. 89 up Oak Creek Canyon out of Sedona can be used as a detour off I-17. Its curvy and sometimes steep :eek: but quite picturesque. I like that red rock country and I drive it anytime I get the chance.

http://www.amwest-travel.com/images1/sliderock3.jpg

18. dong20

Gold Member

Romanticism shows where you least expect it, to me Wagner in a thunderstorm fits so well; powerful passionate music for powerful passionate weather or maybe I'm just projecting..LOL :tongue:

19. Gisella

Gold Member

I'm glad u are happy ding Dong....:tongue: happyness is contagious!!!:tongue:

I too have great memories from roads in Brasil sensual sounds and rytmics...percursion and beautiful voices...i'm ecletic in my taste of music...

In the US for me it must be good rock and blues and jazz... Arizona roads and landscape was my best experience because i travelled most by bikes...the music was inside me and in places we stop for shots of refreshments...:biggrin1:

I do love the feeling of butterflies in my tummy with expectation i am going to travel :rambo: ...i do love the coast and do not like touristic places...but nowdays i soooo much want to travel by monting in a metal horse, a bike - right now a car do not excite me as much as a bike would and for my bikes adventures it must be ROCK!!!!

Yeh! Dong u keep enjoying your re-discovering of euphoria and freedom!!! Best wishes for u...and kisses!

Draft saved Draft deleted