Music Making Software

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone know of any decent music making software that I can download for free? I'm just looking for something simple to make drum beats and bass lines with so I can make some tracks to solo over with my guitar...I have a version of Mixcraft 4 but I don't like it very much. Any suggestions?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Audacity and Reaper are both free (certain features in the free versions are limited but you may not need those). I'm not exactly sure whether they're the software for the kind of thing you are looking for. I'll point Hick at this thread when he gets home from work, he uses both and can tell you what's what.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I use Reaper. you can download it as uncrippled shareware and use it right out of the box. The number of tracks available is limited to system resources. IOW, if you have enough RAM to run 64 tracks, the software can do it. If you decide you like it and want to purchase it, the registration fee is only $50 for a personal use license.

Audacity is great is you need to edit a song after mixdown, but REAPER has the cleanest crossfades available. Any questions, post them here or PM me.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I've seen Cubase, REAPER, n-Track, and Protools and they all have the same basic interface. I was able to use all of them within five minutes of installing them. The FX plugins that come with REAPER, especially the Jesusonic stuff, are very useful.

You can create your own Jesusonic plugins, and edit the ones that come with the system to suit your own tastes. REAPER makes lovely recordings, too. Of course, my gear, while not the most expensive, is all pretty good-sounding stuff, which is the main factor.

ssongs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hey man. Finale is good, but more for the classical musician. For something quick and easy use ACID Pro. You can get some good shit there.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Anyone know of any decent music making software that I can download for free? I'm just looking for something simple to make drum beats and bass lines with so I can make some tracks to solo over with my guitar...I have a version of Mixcraft 4 but I don't like it very much. Any suggestions?

Have you done a Google search for free music making software as a start?

Google: Free music making software.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I use cake walk home studio. It's good, but not free. I think I paid about $300 but can't remember exactly. Finale is better for printing sheet music but I don't think is quite as much of a recording program. I heard a lot of clips on youtube of guys doing multi track vocals of themselves and some of them use Audacity.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If I get time this weekend I'm going to mess with the Windows install for that. It looks way cool.

I looked at Windows installer for a moment and then thought I went the right way by going with Ubuntu Studio Linux. Since Ubuntu is a cdrom live cd installation, a spare 30 GB hdd is installed in my computer as the primary and only hdd. I'm really only using this box for testing purposes.

Ubuntu Studio is a repository installation with Ubuntu after version 7.10. Synaptics will download and install the other 400 MB that comprises the Studio versions additional programs. I have to figure it's better in Linux, since it's for Linux.

Although on a similar note, I downloaded and installed the Gimp and GimpShop for Windows and I'm very pleased and impressed with it. So perhaps Hydrogen is equally as impressive across platforms ?

I'll anxiously await your test & evaluation.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks everyone, I'll have to check some of these out. I don't mind paying for software, I just prefer to try before I buy, there are too many overvalued products out there. I purchased CakeWalk and even though it has good reviews, I thought it was terrible, so it's always nice to see what other people are using. Gracias

jeko489

Just Browsing
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I have Propellerhead Reason pretty decent price and many good reviews on it, although I still haven't really played with it much so I don't know how good it is.
Here is a great list on different ones and it tells you the price and link to the site to get it at :)

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/255766/1

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you don''t like Mixcarft, you won't like any free software... Acoustica Mixcraft is some pretty good cheap software at like 40 bucks or so. I use Acoustica Beatcraft for my drum tracks... it is absolutely amazing. I just build my own drumkit with going through my sample libraries and picking out the hits that I like. You can output to 24 bits and it has Direct X support for my Waves plug-ins. I don't make dance music and I need to be able to make my drum tracks sound like they come from a real drummer. The tracks that I made in Beatcraft absolutely sound like they were played by a real drummer... of course it's all in the samples and I started out with gorgeous samples. of course, I can go back and replace any drum sounds with other files if I don't like the snare or something.

I would assume that Mixcraft has similar functionality... I have it installed, but I've never used it because I use Adobe Audition for all of my editing. I've never actually recorded straight to computer though... I have a couple of standalone DAWs from the 90's that I use for that, although I bought a soundcard that records in 24 bit/192khz fidelity and am curious about recording in that resolution.

You should look into downloading some cracked software... Reason has been cracked pretty well... Cubase has not. My suggestion is giving Mixcraft another try, but if you don't like it, you don't like it. Hell you might enjoy making music with fruity loops, it's been cracked. If you don't do torrent, you might have to get a rapidshare premium account to download the 25+ links for these softwares.