Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
For the most part, he's right.

The major labels are screaming foul, the propaganda they put out is just unbelievable, (governments should hire them for that talent) and they've clearly been more fierce and terrorizing in the way they go after people that most any real terrorist.

What really gets me is the major labels will vehemently insist that the artists themselves are losing money because of it and they're not only trying to collect money they're losing, but also for the artists. Which is a LIE. To this day, not ONE artist has ever received a dime from this. And if you're unlucky enough to be picked up by one, chances are you will become a "sharecropper" so to speak. You'll be lucky to break even. Many artists wind up owing the labels.

Some of you older folks know who the rock band Loverboy is. They're still around, they're still playing, and they can confirm any of this. Since I know them personally, they also have me play with them when possible. They would like to make a comeback with a different sound, but none of the labels will look at them. Same for any other talented '80's/'90's rock bands, say like Lita Ford.

So the drummer of Loverboy and myself have been trying to come up with an idea of just HOW to get the music out there without going through the record companies. I've bounced several ideas off of them (and they've done the same with me) which all involve doing it strictly through the internet, but so far we have shot down every last one as either not really doable, or just not practical at all.

We have agreed that the biggest obstacle so far is just HOW do we get the word out, get radio stations to pick it up and play it, (since most are owned in some way by the big labels) or do we just not go that direction?

I can say this, if we can come up with an idea that actually works, we already have several MAJOR artists that will jump on board.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have no sympathy for the label companies! I had a successful small-town music store - at least for 15 years. Technology as well as the record companies killed my business. Instead of buying recorded music, people -especially kids and teenagers, would download off the internet or "burn" copy/copies.

You use to be able to buy a single (like the 45rpm vinyl of long ago) on cassette and then on CD of just the particular song you wanted, This way you didn't have to purchase the entire album with many titles you didn't want.

Then the label companies became aware they were losing sells so they cut-out the singles. "There...that'll make buyers buy the whole thing!", was their attitude.

It didn't work. I was really surprised that more artists didn't protest to loss of sells. You think they still get their fair share on music downloading? And what about the studio engineers, back-up singers, office personnel, distribution workers, etc.?

Last edited: