Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Greetings,

I've been posting a lot in some of the music threads on here as of late, and I was kind of inspired to pose this question after watching "Reign Over Me" the other night. What albums changed your life?

Blessings

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Frank Zappa's Apostrophe is one of 'em...

More Songs About Buildings & Food -- Talking Heads
Fear of Music -- Talking Heads

Music for Airports -- Brian Eno

Last edited:

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Van Halen's self titled debut album. I thought something was wrong with my boom box when I started playing it! Listen to the 2nd song and you will understand...

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
"Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" (until I found out what a vicious anti-Semite Wagner was. It's still a powerful work of art, but his hatred kinda spoils it for me.)

Who's Next - I remember listening to Won't Get Fooled Again at age 14 and thinking, "THIS is how I want to life my life." I've managed to do that pretty well, come to think of it, but that album provided me with encouragement I might not have gotten anywhere else.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Music for Airports -- Brian Eno

Ha ha!!! I was gonna say "Music For Films" by Brian Eno. :wink:

Shit, I have soooo many albums that have changed my life...

"Soul Box Vol. I" by Grover Washington jr.

Me and Face were just talkin' about "The Nightfly" by Donald Fagen and

"Elegant Gypsy" by Al Dimeola

"Thrust" by Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters

"Heavy Weather" by the Weather Report

"The Shape Of Jazz To Come" by the Ornette Coleman Quartet

"Dummy" by Portishead

"Entroducing" by DJ Shadow

"I Want You" by Marvin Gaye

"Sketches of Spain" by Miles Davis

"The Voyager Recordings" by NASA

"Gypsy Kings" The Gypsy Kings

Gymnopedies, Gnossiennes, Cubist Works and Furniture Music by Erik Satie

Hells Yeah, the 3 Gymnopedies was in the background as the restaurant closed in "My Dinner with Andre", I saw the movie when I was 13 and was never the same...

Van Halen's self titled debut album. I thought something was wrong with my boom box when I started playing it! Listen to the 2nd song and you will understand...

Oh SNAP! That record was just too fuckin' much... blistering!!!!

Last edited:

Apollo1

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You know, Hick, a month ago a friend of mine and I (we're both artists) had a good conversation about art and the individual. It was interesting. I raised the question if a person's beliefs should really have any bearings on their art. Robert Frost was a big anti-semite as well, but that's really done nothing to detract from his legacy. How do you feel about the question?

Some of the albums that changed my life are as follows:

1. At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command (In my opinion, this is one of the most important rock or punk rock albums, especially for minority kids. From start to finish, it's brilliant and shows you the tensions that brought about At the Drive-In becoming two different bands)

2. Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die (One of the most compelling Hip-Hop albums ever. You had great production, imaginative storytelling, grand metaphors, etc.)

3. Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar (When I heard this record in 1998, it knocked me on my ass. At the time, Mos Def was one of the most poetic emcees, and he did things on that album I had never heard a rapper do before. Here's a sample:

So much on my mind that I can't recline
Blastin holes in the night til she bled sunshine
Breathe in, inhale vapors from bright stars that shine
Breathe out, weed smoke retrace the skyline
Heard the bass ride out like an ancient mating call
I can't take it y'all, I can feel the city breathin
Chest heavin, against the flesh of the evening
Sigh before we die like the last train leaving

4. Radiohead - Kid A (This was the first Radiohead album I bought, and the whole thing floored me. It definitely is an album that's easy to get lost in)

5. Esthero - Breath from Another (I bought this one in April of 1999. Back then, I used to buy albums off instinct alone, and I had a feeling about this one. Esthero's voice is like the sound of falling in love. Throw in Doc's trip-hoppish production, and you've got an incredible album from an incredible talent that far too few people know about)

Blessings

Reactions: Breathfromanother

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Morrissey in general has changed my life. And he continues to do so. I've never been so moved by a musician, ever. I've been listening to his music for about 20 years now, and have absolutely no intention of stopping. He's sexy, has a beautiful voice, and an incredibly way with words. Every song I hear feels oddly like he's singing to me, or about me... like he's interpreting my soul. (puke, gag, whatever... it's true. :tongue: ) Here's one of my favorites:

YouTube - Morrissey - Dear God Please Help Me (music video)

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I recall lyrics of songs, and later the complete albums that defined my mood at different periods of my life.

"You're hungry, but I'm starving. He cuts you down from the tree. He keeps you in a box by the bed, alive, but just barely..."

"They tell me, that life is just an empty scene. Older than the oldest broken heart, and newer than the newest broken dreams"

"When I look into your eyes, I can see a love restrained..."

"There is a town in north Ontario, with dream and comfort memory to spare, And in my mind I still need a place to go, All my changes were there.

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Music of the Night from The Phantom of the Opera. Dont really have an album but that song made me think. Why should I listen to what everyone says I should be doing? The only person who knows what will make me truly happy is me. And from that moment on, I chose to listen to my heart and follow MY dreams no one elses.

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
the cure - lullaby
Cocteau Twins - pearl dew drops
Bauhaus - in the flat field
Sinead O conor - troy
Iggy Pop - the passenger

i think all these artists and songs have touched me
enough to remember them,
most are about love or life and how to enjoy,
or what to enjoy whilst it is there.

Punk rock saved my soul. Thank you Bad Religion, Social Distortion, NOFX, Dropkick Murphys, Refused, Catch 22, Gogol Bordello, etc.

Also, special mention to The Weakerthans, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Matthew Good, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, The Doors, Rage, CCR, The Guess Who and The Tragically Hip.

beretta8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Led Zeppelin turned me on to the Blues in general....although some people think they totally ripped of the Blues.....

Pink Floyd ... Meddle in particular...love the whole album

Annie Lenox

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble.....I'll never forget the concert I was supposed to go to and missed...the night he died at Alpine Valley...:frown1:

Last edited: