Experimental Member
Media
Sufjan Stevens: "The Avalanche", "Illinois"

Bob Dylan: "The Times, They Are A-Changin'"

Radiohead: "OK Computer"

Pink Floyd: "Dark Side of the Moon"

The Smiths: "The Queen Is Dead"

Of Montreal: "Skeletal Lamping" & "Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?"

Metallica: "S & M" (San Francisco Symphony and Metallica)

Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 2

The Beatles: "Rubber Soul", "Sgt. Pepper's", "The White Album", "Abbey Road"

Talking Heads: "Remain in Light"

Bruce Springsteen: "Live In Dublin"

cason

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
'Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis', opened doors for me. This is a segment of it taken from the Master And Commander soundtrack (..and no that's not the recording I have, just the cleanest one on YouTube. :biggrin1:)

YouTube - Master and Commander Soundtrack - Fantasia

D_Kissimmee Coldsore

Experimental Member
Media
One day when I was young I borrowed Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik and some 2-disc Jimi Hendrix compilation CD (one disc is all live) from a cousin. That day I found my musical taste.
I also bought Led Zeppelin - Remasters soon after and within a few months I had all their albums. Between Page and Hendrix I had all the guitar tuition I needed.
More recently an album that blew me away completely, Sigur Rós - Takk... , maybe the most powerful musical experience I ever had. Maybe my all-time favourite album. Over the last few years since I've become obsessed with them. Phenomenal artists.
i think Biffy Clyro- 27 because im certyain it the catalyst in making me like my now GF

and right now Biffy Clyro Breatheher is really beautiful and im liking it but i dont think it has changed it yet

YouTube - Biffy Clyro - Breatheher

arcade fire funeral was my first "complete" album, an album that could only be heard from start to finish
Blackened Sky was on my iPod uninterrupted for the best part of a fortnight after I got it. Well into them.

Apollo1

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Greetings, folks. I must say that I'm really pleased at the response this thread's received. Plus, I love seeing what everyone's come up with so far.

Here are some more albums that have done numbers on me:

1. Miles Davis - Live Evil

2. Dead Prez - Let's Get fREE

3. The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

4. Saul Williams - Amethyst Rockstar

5. Big Punisher - Capital Punishment

Blessings

I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty

It really helped me get through university, and university made me the success that I am today. I hated everything about my life before I went to university, so I knew it was up to me to change it. There were so many negative people in my life (including family members) telling me that I couldn't do it, and were just waiting for me to fail at obtaining my degree. Whenever I felt down and questioned my ability to be in and graduate from university, I would play this song and it motivated me to continue. The song reminded me to stand my ground and not back down from accomplishing my goal. It also reminded me that there was no easy way to finish school, and that I would have to sacrifice and persevere no matter what obstacles were thrown in front of me such as the cost of being in school (I paid for my own education), a poor grade in a class, or the naysayers who were constantly telling me that I was waisting my time. I knew what was waiting for me job wise if I didn't obtain my degree, and to me that was a fate worse than death. It felt amazing to prove everyone wrong when I obtained my degree and graduated with honours. These are the lyrics:

Well I won't back down, no I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

Gonna stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin me down
Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down

Hey baby, there aint no easy way out
Hey I will stand my ground
And I won't back down.

Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin me around
But I'll stand my ground and I won't back down

Hey baby there aint no easy way out
Hey I will stand my ground
And I won't back down
No, I won't back down

Last edited by a moderator:

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A CD entitled 'Organ Showpieces from St Paul's Cathedral' and hearing my first High Mass at St Mathew's Cathedral in Washington.

Last edited:

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Wow, dozens and dozens of albums have changed my life to some degree.

The first one was probably Van Morrison's *Astral Weeks,* which came out in 1968 but I first heard in probably '87. Before that I had tons of albums that I loved, but nothing that had hit me so personally before, and seemed so attuned to my own very strange way of looking at life and the passage of time.

voyeuristic

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm with Meg - Morrissey all the way. The man can do no wrong! I adore Joni Mitchell's "Hejira" LP, along with most of her pre-Mingus catalog...and I'm another huge fan of Of Montreal's "Hissing Fauna". I also stand by George Michael's "Listen Without Prejudice", Kwame and A New Beginning's "The Boy Genius", and pretty much everything The Innocence Mission and Mark Eitzel have done. The band that's been the most consistent soundtrack to my life for 13 years now, though, is the Mountain Goats - they're amazing.

(Mind you, lately I'm revisiting my early-90s musical roots and listening to New Jack Swing a la Keith Sweat and Jodeci, so who the hell knows?)

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Everything by:
Mozart
Chopin
Ravel
Sati
Copeland
Bartok
Webern
DeLiebes
Gershwin (especially his etudes)
Duke Ellington
Oscar Peterson
Hilton Ruiz

Frequently some:
Ella Fitzgerald
Peggy Lee
Rosemary Clooney
Joni Mitchell
Ancient Crosby, Stills, and Nash
Sarah Vaughn
Aretha Franklin
Billie Holiday
Stan Getz
Antonio Jobim
Milton Nascimiento

And once in a while The Teddy Bear Picnic Song --- So, if you go out in the woods today . . . .

D_MisterBater

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
a few that come to mind,

The Jam
The Soft Boys/Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians
Pegboy
Tar
Shellac
All/Descendents
fIREHOSE
Fugazi
Chisel/TLRx
Big Drill Car
Husker Du
The Replacements
Heatmiser
The Jesus Lizard

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The Cure

A Forest

and

Close To Me

A Guy Called Gerald

Voodoo Ray

(Classic British House from those rave days in the 80's......30,000 in a field, impromtu, illegal, with a 40K Turbosound system....we'd dance on great E, non-stop with thousands, for one day, maybe two, until the police busted it, or we just collapsed. My ears would ring for 3 days!! No wonder I have hearing difficulties now!)

Also, The Smiths, I obssessed over Morrissey!

Last edited: