Music that makes you emotional

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by SassySpy, Jul 24, 2007.

1. SassySpy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I thought about naming this thread 'music that makes you cry' or 'do other women do this' but decided it was too narrow, and only fair to let happy emotions be included, too.
    I just wondered - recently every song I hear or play seems to be directed right at my emotional core, (which is sad atm but regardless) do any other women find you play songs that make you even sadder? Songs you know will make you cry, as in during a romantic breakup or separation? I have to make a conscious effort atm not to choose songs for my playlist that are guaranteed to make me cry, otherwise it will be a real sob fest here.
    But at the same time, I dont feel happy and dont wanna hear bobby mcferrin telling me not to worry, be happy.. ya know what I mean?
    as for the other side of the coin, when Im feeling good, happy more active music tends to make me feel even better and more energetic.

I guess the question can apply to guys as well, but somehow I wondered if it isnt just a woman thing to listen to songs that make you cry when you're sad. Or is it just me, Im a freak of nature?:eek:
    Maybe its a cathartic thing, though.....

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Heaven 9-11... a dedication to 9-11. With the little girl in the background crying about loosing her father. I cry every time.

3. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    I definitely know that it doesn't just apply to women. Gay men cry over songs as well. Alot of songs can make me cry.

anything with a 9/11 tribute attached to it. The Fray's How to save a life 9/11, "You gotta be" and "Kissing You" by Des'ire, Sarah McLaughlin's In the Arms of the Angels/Ages...I don't remember which one it really is. Strangely enough "It Ends Tonight" by the All American Rejects really gets to me. I think it's the strings section.

4. goldiron

goldiron New Member

Albums:
    "Taps" does it for me, every time they lower someone into the ground.

5. titan1968

titan1968 Active Member

Albums:
    Burton Cumming's 'Heavenly Blue' and Nikos Vertis's Πες το μου ξανα (Pes to mou xana= Say it again). They're two hauntingly beautiful songs.

6. shaguar

shaguar Member

Anything by Li'l Kim.

7. galaxus

galaxus Member

straight men do get emotional to some music. i et goose bumps to artist like Mary J Blige, Rose Royce, and "Human Nature" by Micheal Jackson.

DAMN MIKE, u get to me!!

8. D_Joseba_Guntertwat

D_Joseba_Guntertwat New Member

A few songs make me emotional-sad, e.g. Radiohead's 'Punchdrunk lovesick singalong'.
    But I get emotional to some really upbeat songs too. One song which springs to mind is 'Bat out of hell' by Meatloaf, especially when the second verse kicks in. The line where he sings 'I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram' is the definition of rock.

9. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I'm a soppy cow, the sad ones by sarah mclachlan, dixie chicks, amanda marshall, dar williams, anything girly get me all sad and introspective, if I'm feeling down I can't help putting something sad on, it's weird how making yourself feel sadder makes you feel better - or perhaps that's just me being a nutjob :)

10. extramedium

extramedium New Member

Albums:
    cat power

11. ganja4me

Gold Member

Albums:
    Staind songs are pretty sad. Some rap songs are pretty sad like "Changes" by 2pac or "Rock Bottom", "Stan", and "When I'm Gone" by Eminem. Two bands that do songs that put me in a good mood are Sublime and 311. Bob Marley is "good mood music" for me too. Oh yeah another really sad song is "Tears In Heaven" by Eric Clapton.

12. rckhrdstd

rckhrdstd Active Member

Albums:
    As a straight man, I get emotional when I hear some songs. Everytime I hear "Help pour out the Rain" I cry, and I get chills each time I hear Ave Maria...I'm not catholic, but I get to Catholic Funeral Masses an awful lot. Another one is Angel. Just my 2 cents.

13. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    A few songs/pieces with memories attached:

Pictures of You - The Cure
    Crystal Wrists - Peter Murphy
    Fear - Sarah Maclauchan
    New Moon Daughter (album) - Cassandra Wilson
    Quiet Letters (album) - Bliss
    The Enchanted Forest - Geminiani
    Water Music - Telemann

14. Jiggy D

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Pig on the Wing 1 & 2 - Pink Floyd
    Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight - The Beatles
    All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
    Eternal Flame - The Bangles (my mother used to play this to put me to sleep when I was a baby)

15. donkeydongle

donkeydongle New Member

Albums:
    Here are a few: The Ballad of Paul and Shiela - by -Mason Jennings
    about Sen. Paul Wellstone, sad as hell but beautiful..
    Some songs by Victor Jara who was tortured to death by the facists in Chile for his music.. Oh shit getting teary eyed. I must have been a Chilean partisan in a past life.. Those slow songs by by Jim Croce. Believe it or not Careless Whispers by Wham... I had a fling when I was at summer camp as a kid and this song was my " oh I miss you terribly" song. I just love music and maybe it affects me a little more than your average bloke.

16. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Sad song: "At Seventeen" by Janis Ian - because it describes my own experiences at that age...

When I'm feeling down, I put on the CD "Spirit of the Forest" by Baka Beyond, because the music really cheers me up. Most of it is instrumental, but it's such cheerful sounding music, and without the "oh so cheery" lyrics of "happy" songs with vocals.

Oh, and for music that I like but not if I'm feeling down in the least because the music is so SAD sounding? Anything by Black Tape For a Blue Girl. I haven't paid a lot of attention to their lyrics but I think their lyrics are probably depressing too. Their music certainly is - all minor key and funereal sounding. But I like it - go figure...

17. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I have several songs that make me cry for one reason or another. But the one that makes me cry almost EVERY time is "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

18. submit452

Gold Member

Albums:
    ANYTHING by Lionel Ritchie

19. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    mazzy star-into dust
    the cure-open
    sonic youth-shadow of a doubt
    the pixies-where is my mind
    wolf parade-i am a runner

20. Pirate Wench

Gold Member

I don't know if it's their "hold" music nationally or not.....

But I cannot stand CVS' hold music.
    It's pretty music, but takes me directly back to the funeral home for my parent's and brother's funerals.
    I didn't lose them all at the same time, but within 36 months of each other.

I'm not in tears everytime I hear it......but I'm never happy about having to "go back there" in my head.
    It SUCKS.

I don't recall playing anything myself that I Know will put me in tears......but hearing things accidently on the radio that I associate with sad things.
    That's (unlike the hold music that I know is coming) UNexpected and occasionally will have me wiping away a few tears in the car.

On a happy note.
    I play lots of music because I know it will cheer me up, however.
    Anyone for some AC/DC ?
    :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted