Music videos -- what happened to them?

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Was reading an article about Michael Jackson. It said that in 2001 he tried to make a come-back, but by that point MTV wasn't even playing much music anymore. It said MJ invented the music video art, but by the time he made the 2001 comeback he had outlived the music video. It was dead by that point.

I stopped paying attention to MTV in my mid-20s, which was about a decade ago. But now when I look at the channel, it's true. No videos anywhere. When and why did this happen? Did the Internet kill music videos? Why do they even call it MTV ("Music Television") anymore? :confused:

StormyB

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
MTV is worthless now, it's all about selling sex to TEENS and it's getting a bit desperate with this task. Now with that said, I like some reality shows (they offer me a good laugh when I am bored or tired of working and studying) but theres just too many of them and people are starting to take them WAY too seriously. I like T.V, but I don't really watch it anymore I usually just find my favorite shows like (True Blood, Judge Judy, American Dad ect.) online and watch them.

blg3floor3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Was reading an article about Michael Jackson. It said that in 2001 he tried to make a come-back, but by that point MTV wasn't even playing much music anymore. It said MJ invented the music video art, but by the time he made the 2001 comeback he had outlived the music video. It was dead by that point.

I stopped paying attention to MTV in my mid-20s, which was about a decade ago. But now when I look at the channel, it's true. No videos anywhere. When and why did this happen? Did the Internet kill music videos? Why do they even call it MTV ("Music Television") anymore? :confused:

Yeah, I stopped watching almost 10 years ago too. They played less and less music as time went by. Eventually it was just bitches-n-hoes rap and hip hop videos, with the same old rehashed gold chains, platinum teeth, booty shakin', cars, and bent over in half leaning into the camera that's on the ground with their head crooked 90° sideways. Then they stopped playing music videos altogether basically.

What ultimately killed it for me was when TRL screwed up. That show was an hour and a half long, and they could only show 10-15 seconds of half of the music videos? What the fuck? That was the one show on that channel that still played music videos (and which weren't rap), but then they started pulling that shit where they didn't even play them for more than 10-15 seconds, if at all. Hell, sometimes they'd just mention the video and move on to more yammering or more shots of overly hyper screaming 14 year old girls or more commercials. Since the show was an hour and a half, there was no excuse for that whatsoever, so that's when I ultimately stopped.

I always figured it was all that gen x or gen y or whatever shit, where they were trying to be "hip" with the young crowd. They kept trying to be the television equivalent of a late high school/early college party. They basically just want to be the party channel, or something. I remember when you could turn on MTV and finding nothing but music videos of ALL genres equally, playing for hours and hours all day and all night. Now it's just lame reality show this, gaudy reality show that.

Last edited:

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Music videos? Pfft, they would just occupy valuable time slots that could be better used for stupendous shows such as: The Hills, Paris Hilton's New BFF and The [not so] Real World! Where would society be today without Speidi?!:rolleyes:

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
I like some of the stuff on the music channels. Cribs and The Real world are always good. For me the music itself it the problem, it's all just rappers trying to show how much $$ they have are talentless little girls running around in bikini's doing very little singing. Gone are they time's where songs and filmclips had a story