Music

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm curious to what kind of music you all listen to, genres and artists, and what you reccomend.

I listen to ska, punk, and alternative mostly.

If I had to reccomend any albums (Best songs in parentheses) that are recent, in the past year or so, I'd go with:

Weird Al - Poodle Hat (A Complicated Song, An Ode to a Superhero, Ebay)
Less Than Jake - Anthem (The Science of Selling Yourself Short, Plastic Cup Politics)
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Jackknife to a Swan (Go Big; You Gotta Go)
Reel Big Fish - Cheer Up! (Good Thing, Dateless Loser)

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Instrumentals: Hands down, latest and greatest find is Keiko Matsui... gets the productive juices flowin' in my brain.

Rock: Poe, Good Charlotte.

R&B: Really, always been a fan of the female singers i.e. Toni Braxton, Kelly Price, Tamia -- really soothing stuff.

mindseye: Oooh, music -- my favorite topic!  ;)

RBF is okay enough (I've got Why Do They Rock So Hard?), but I could never get into Less Than Jake.  I bought Hello Rockview, and thought it was just okay.  Apart from their hit ("The Impression That I Get"), I'm not so familiar with Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

But mark my words:  You'll grow out of Weird Al eventually.  He's done the same schtick for over 20 years now.  Sure, I liked "I Love Rocky Road" when it came out in ninth grade (I've even got it on 45!), but jeez -- at this point, I'm just plain tired of it.

I confess:  I'm a music junkie.  I've got over 2500 discs in my CD collection.  

Recent CDs that I recommend:
  • Marillion, Anoraknophobia:  Easily their best album in over 10 years.  "Quartz" and "Between You And Me" will blow you away.  Steal it if you have to.
  • Laurie Anderson, Live In New York: September 19, 2001:  New York resident Laurie Anderson was returning home from a concert the morning of September 11, and was stuck in traffic on a bridge the moment the first plane struck.  She was scheduled to perform in New York the following week, and decided not to postpone that show.  This album is unbelievably intense; you can hear not just the performer's intensity, but the audience's as well.
  • Bob Mould, Modulate: Not his best work, and not in the same class as the two discs above, but good enough to prove he's still got it.

7x6andchg: Oh, let's see....

I like:

80's (I was not, sadly, a tot, I was 7 in 1980 and 17...well, you get the idea)
country - specifically the newer stuff
blues
Top 40
Hip Hop
Classical - Pecker - I love Baroque!  Gimme more Vivaldi!
70's disco
Merengue/Salsa

Pretty much anything but metal...is where I'm at right now.  Right now in my MP3 collection of songs I wouldn't buy the whole disc for:  Audioslave "Like a Stone" and "Three Wooden Crosses" by Randy Travis, as well as "In the Club" by 50 Cent. I find I go through phases - some weeks it's country, others it's Top 40, etc., etc.

Diverse enough for ya?    ;D

7x6&C

awellhungboi: Coincidentally enough tonight I finally gave in and jumped on the whole music pirat--ahem, file sharing--bandwagon, after resisting for a while.

Here's what I downloaded:

Rossini's Overture to The Thieving Magpie

VNV nation: Left Behind

Roxy Music's version of I Put A Spell On You

Genitorturers: Sin City

Lords of Acid: Rough Sex

Throbbing Gristle: The Process

Psychic TV: Godstar

Then I got bored with it.

My all time favorite piece of music is The Goldberg Variations, however--either Glenn Gould's 1981 recording on piano, or Gustav Leonhardt's on the harpsichord.

And I don't know, I think Weird Al's pretty funny!  But, then, I'm pretty weird myself.

7x6andchg: My biggest problem with the filesharing thing.....

Legal or not, it's like being at the world's biggest jukebox with a bag full of quarters. I have tended to run out of things to download because my mind overloads with everything I want....

So I download 1 or 2.

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Classical and mostly baroque (here we go, Bilbobagginsx !!) - Bach, Haendel, Mozart, Haydn, Telemann, Beethoven, Purcell, Vivaldi, Corelli, Locatelli, Rameau, Lully, Marc-Antoine Charpentier. I also like Gregorian cantatas and Byzantine chorals.

Baroque opera: Gluck, Mozart. Even Salieri.

Then... Tchaikowsky, Vincent d'Indy, Ravel, Enesco, Wagner (such a barbarian beauty !).

Concerning the nowadays music... I'm crazy about rave, house and trance, but I cannot forget my other favourits (George Michael, Madonna - especially the '80s of their career) or this divine Ofra Haza.

And so many others. But classical rules.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=bilbobagginsx link=board=99;num=1053734375;start=0#4 date=05/23/03 at 20:18:23]
Baroque, mainly.[/quote]

I love, especially, Manfredini, Daquin, Marcello, Handel, Corelli, Locatelli, Corrette, Telemann, Pachelbel, and Albinoni. Vivaldi and Bach? Well, that's a given!

sammygirly: I'm afraid it might take me way too long to answer this question...I like pretty much anything but country.

But Im a top 40 whore at heart.

And tons of underground house music - Who da Funk, Thunderpuss mixes, Darude, Sanchez mixes, and other such bass pounding one hit wonders there's no point in mentioning because they aren't recognizable LOL

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i guess that i would have to say that i like classical best...it calms the beast but really stimulates the mind and get the creative juices flowing..but i enjoy most music...across the globe from brazil to africa to india...jazz to hip hop.

classical: mozart, vivaldi, borodin, copeland, pokoviev, stravinski, shostakovich, stravinski, gershwin.

jazz: king oliver, satchmo, miles, billie holiday, lena, horne

indian: ravi shankar

jay

tott666: Genres I *generally* don't like are rap, techno, reggae and metal. I appreciate some of that stuff though.

Basically, I appreciate "clean" music of almost any genre. "Clean" as in by harmony, sound, melody and/or arrangement, I guess; I haven't really given it much thought until now.

I guess I prefer structured music?

Some of my favourites are Black, Philip Glass, Weeping willows, Enya, Mozart, Marc Almond, George Michael, Bach, ABBA, Kate Bush, Michael Nyman, Madonna... The list is endless.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
I like most kinds of music, but I can't stand boy bands. Every time I hear *NSYNC on the radio, that night, I dream of clock towers and rifles.

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Uuuh, I forgot Chopin and Berlioz ! Also, Glinka and Rimsky-Korsakoff are a delight, and - oh, yes ! - both Smetana and Dvorac (Czechs). [I am just to attached to the XVIII-th century music to completely recall my preferences from the XIX-th.]

mentatzps: I have very special tastes about music.

Generally, I don't like much "songs" (music and lyrics). I prefer "instrumental songs"; there are some exceptions, tough. I like some classical music too (especially "The Nut Cracker" by Tchaikowski, my favourite). For the artists I mentioned below, I like only some of their songs, not all their works.

What I listen to :
- Video games music & remixes
- Cartoon/TV series songs & remixes
- Soundtracks
- Electro / dance / techno / dream music

Some of the artists I like :
- Jean-Michel Jarre
- Vangelis
- Era
- Enrique Iglesias
- Gareth Gates
- Barry White
- Rondo Veneziano

A excellent site for video games remixes : http://remix.overclocked.org

Javierdude22: It all depends on my mood what i like....i pretty like th 'best' :) of every gnre though....excpet for Rap and hardcore house music...

I like the old Soul music: Gladys Knight, Ottis Reding, but also Indie Arie, Kelly Price

I like alternative and rock the most though: Counting Crows, Dave Matthews Band, Radiohead, U2, Creed

My favourite album though would be Surfacing by Sarah Mclachlan...great singer....great album....got me 'through' some rough times.

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm not much into classical, but I loved the movie 'Shine' so I started getting into a bit of Rachmanicoff. Not to mention who doesn't love Air on the G String. :p

I've been into Weird Al as long as I can remember, I'm part of the MTV generation, a new song comes along as soon as one has been played on TRL for more than a month. The only reason I ever recall half the songs is through parody.

I love comedic music, Weird Al, Jeff Foxworthy, and Ray Stevens. I love Ray Stevens' 'Three Legged Man', of course it has nothing to do with the main theme of this site.

I love alot of the oldies, 50s and 60s, its what we play at my work most of the time (except during Christmas, if I hear Jingle Bells one more time... BOOM). I was raised on Chicago though, 9 and 18 being some of my favorites.

Finedessert: NLATIMER: On this board I think it would be OK to replace Bells with  BALLS.

Grandpa

H8Monga: I love so much...

Music: the soundtrack of our lives!

My soundtrack has many genres.
I am a huge Motown fan for my age and older folks who grew up on it are amazed how much I know and appreciate it. I listen to smooth jazz, R&B, rap... rock.. bluegrass.. gospel... techno.. dance.. electronic... classical.. on and on...