Musical Taste

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Kind of always wanted to this about some of you guys because you guys are pretty cool here...I personally really like Trance, House, Techno, Jungle, Tribal (pretty much a lot of club and Euro music)...And it has only been about a year that I really got into this type of music...But I find myself really into this music and travel quite often to check out dj shows...I mean I am even going to S. Beach next month to attend the Winter Music Conference...I even cancelled my trip to London because it was the same weekend...I was really excited about London too - because I know that got awesome dance clubs because a lot of my favorite djs come from the UK...

Personally I know I party too much and I am a natural insomniac and love the after hours scene...And lately I find myself hanging out w/only djs and industry type folks or folks who are regulars and party all night like myself...So do got any other club music folks here or any other musical genres here...

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
Im not too picky about music, but I just will not listen to Rap. Hip-hop, maybe some of the earlier stuff. Otherwise no. I like mostly all other kinds of music (ok well I don't like country either!) I used to listen to classical music all the time, but now I like more "jumpy" things that have some sort of exceitement. Also, call me a total nerd, but I like most of the music from the Final Fantasy series - most people would think thats stupid, but a lot of the music is really nice, so don't condemn it until you hear it. Trance, Techno, all that stuff isn't too bad either. I guess I like or at least appreciate all types of music, I really have no preference over another. (Not to insult anyone, I jsut don't consider Rap music...If I wanted to hear relentless swearing about drugs and sex and bustin' caps, I'd go to school and attend more school functions.)

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oooh, I'm soooo addicted to music (but I'm waaay behind on updating!)

Instead of trying to list my favorites and risking forgetting a couple and kicking myself later -- here are:

Five Albums You've Never Heard of, But Can't Do Without
  • Mike Oldfield, Ommadawn

Released in 1975, and pre-dating the banal, antiseptic "new age" genre, this is what instrumental music should be about. Acoustic guitars predominate, though there are some electric guitars as well (and even some sparse vocals). Melodic but not repetitive, this forty-minute masterpiece is in almost every Mike Oldfield fan's top three list. (If you want something 'harder', try Amarok instead; if you want his 'hit', go for Tubular Bells.)

• Happy Rhodes, Warpaint

Today's indie singer-songwriters such as Ani DiFranco owe their success to the trail that Happy Rhodes first began blazing over 20 years ago. Zealously protecting herself from the trappings of major label ownership, Happy Rhodes released ten albums on her own label. Of these, her fifth, Warpaint is the first among equals. The music is skillfully arranged, and the lyrics are personal and evocative.

• Matthew Good Band, Underdogs

A college radio staple in Canada, but unknown in the US, Matthew Good is fierce, angry, agressive, and intelligent as hell. The rat in your brain turns a wheel connected to your guts, he writes in "Apparitions", and all your faults are in me. Part Radiohead, part Everclear -- and good enough to make me forgive Canada for Celine Dion.

• Laurie Anderson, Live in New York

New York resident Laurie Anderson's father passed away in 2000, prompting her to write a song cycle about recovering from the loss of a loved one. The album Life On A String appeared in early 2001. Undeniably a New York album, but also undeniably an album about loss and grief, the track listing featured titles such as "Slip Away" and "Broken", but also "Washington Square" and "Statue Of Liberty". On September 11 of that year, these songs took on a more universal meaning, and Anderson performed them live in New York on September 18. Of all the live albums I've ever owned, this is the one on which you can really hear the intensity of the audience. What an amazing coincidence that she had already written and published the couplet Here come the planes // they're American planes.

• Marillion, Anoraknophobia

Possibly the closest to 'open source' that music ever gets. This album was funded by over 13,000 fans who each paid for a copy a year in advance so that the band could buy studio time and record the album they wanted to make free from the influence of their former label. In return, not only did the band make the finished album available, but also the individual instrumental and vocal tracks so that you could mix the songs yourself.

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by yaoifun@Feb 22 2005, 01:03 PM
Im not too picky about music, but I just will not listen to Rap. Hip-hop, maybe some of the earlier stuff. Otherwise no. I like mostly all other kinds of music (ok well I don't like country either!) I used to listen to classical music all the time, but now I like more "jumpy" things that have some sort of exceitement. Also, call me a total nerd, but I like most of the music from the Final Fantasy series - most people would think thats stupid, but a lot of the music is really nice, so don't condemn it until you hear it. Trance, Techno, all that stuff isn't too bad either. I guess I like or at least appreciate all types of music, I really have no preference over another. (Not to insult anyone, I jsut don't consider Rap music...If I wanted to hear relentless swearing about drugs and sex and bustin' caps, I'd go to school and attend more school functions.)
[post=285376]Quoted post[/post]​

I actually use to big into hip-hop before my current genre and still like my Jay-Z and 50 cents...And I like 311 and Linkin park...Jazz - Coltrane, Cassandra Wilson, Ellington, Nina Simone type stuff (I like it to be really dark and sad)...Hmm I am not going to say hip-hop (rap) is not music but I don't like some artist but I think some are way to talented and lyrics are like poetry like Biggy, Tupac, Eminem, Jay Z, Nas, Method Man and Red Man...If you listen how they flow and things they talk about - I think that takes talent and a lot of intelligence...I guess I like what sounds good to me...But lately I find myself buying more cds of great club djs...

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by mindseye@Feb 22 2005, 01:33 PM
Oooh, I'm soooo [http://mycds.collegemath.org]addicted to music[/url] (but I'm waaay behind on updating!)

Instead of trying to list my favorites and risking forgetting a couple and kicking myself later -- here are:

Five Albums You've Never Heard of, But Can't Do Without
  • Mike Oldfield, Ommadawn

Released in 1975, and pre-dating the banal, antiseptic "new age" genre, this is what instrumental music should be about. Acoustic guitars predominate, though there are some electric guitars as well (and even some sparse vocals). Melodic but not repetitive, this forty-minute masterpiece is in almost every Mike Oldfield fan's top three list. (If you want something 'harder', try Amarok instead; if you want his 'hit', go for Tubular Bells.)

• Happy Rhodes, Warpaint

Today's indie singer-songwriters such as Ani DiFranco owe their success to the trail that Happy Rhodes first began blazing over 20 years ago. Zealously protecting herself from the trappings of major label ownership, Happy Rhodes released ten albums on her own label. Of these, her fifth, Warpaint is the first among equals. The music is skillfully arranged, and the lyrics are personal and evocative.

• Matthew Good Band, Underdogs

A college radio staple in Canada, but unknown in the US, Matthew Good is fierce, angry, agressive, and intelligent as hell. The rat in your brain turns a wheel connected to your guts, he writes in "Apparitions", and all your faults are in me. Part Radiohead, part Everclear -- and good enough to make me forgive Canada for Celine Dion.

• Laurie Anderson, Live in New York

New York resident Laurie Anderson's father passed away in 2000, prompting her to write a song cycle about recovering from the loss of a loved one. The album Life On A String appeared in early 2001. Undeniably a New York album, but also undeniably an album about loss and grief, the track listing featured titles such as "Slip Away" and "Broken", but also "Washington Square" and "Statue Of Liberty". On September 11 of that year, these songs took on a more universal meaning, and Anderson performed them live in New York on September 18. Of all the live albums I've ever owned, this is the one on which you can really hear the intensity of the audience. What an amazing coincidence that she had already written and published the couplet Here come the planes // they're American planes.

• Marillion, Anoraknophobia

Possibly the closest to 'open source' that music ever gets. This album was funded by over 13,000 fans who each paid for a copy a year in advance so that the band could buy studio time and record the album they wanted to make free from the influence of their former label. In return, not only did the band make the finished album available, but also the individual instrumental and vocal tracks so that you could mix the songs yourself.
[post=285394]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok I can see you are a true man of your musical taste...I myself still a novice to get that detailed...But I hang out w/a lot of djs and they do the same thing especially since they have to spin at clubs and it amazing me how they can blend and match songs beat by beat so barely can tell the music has changed songs - that takes talent...

And how could I forget Raggae - love that too...

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by yaoifun@Feb 22 2005, 01:03 PM
Also, call me a total nerd, but I like most of the music from the Final Fantasy series - most people would think thats stupid, but a lot of the music is really nice, so don't condemn it until you hear it.
[post=285376]Quoted post[/post]​

You know I have a really good friend that is into that too...And he is into all that hard core Japenese Animation and weird text games I guess you play w/people all around the world that never stops running...He can sit at his computer for hours listening to that stuff and playing those weird games...Not my thing but definitely would not condemn him for it...He is a really good friend and we all have out little weird things we are into...

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have quite a few orchestral soundtracks in my collection: Braveheart, Elizabeth, Gladiator, Titanic - not just for the Celine song, all three Lord of the Rings, and the Star Wars trilogy. People think I'm strange for listening to those.

There's nothing like listening to Gladiator in your car and finding yourself driving faster when the music gets more intense for the battle scene scores. :lol:

Altairion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
TAG: If you like driving to musical scores, one of my friends really enjoys driving to the soudtrack of The Rock.

I cover a decent range in music myself including classical since I have been in band so long. My favorite composers tend to be John Williams and Danny Elfman. (Elfman has done scores like Spiderman and Beetlejuice if you don't recognize the name.)

As for favorite bands:

Dave Matthews Band
Jimmy Eat World
U2
Linkin Park
Green Day
Three Doors Down
Offspring
Matchbox 20

gwinea2000: My tastes are pretty broad, mainly due to the fact that I'm a musician. Most of my friends think my tastes are rather weird, but I've been able to turn a few of them on to stuff they'd never have considered before.

TexAss girl: I love the Gladiator soundtrack. The woman who contributes the haunting vocal lines (as well as some of the compositions) is Lisa Gerrard. She is one of my faves. If you like Gladiator's soundtrack, check out her old band, Dead Can Dance. They're not incredibly well known, but have achieved a bit of a cult status. My album recommendation is "Toward the Within". I warn you, they're 'weird' at first, but give them a chance.

As for my tastes: I love great lyricists -- Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, Bernie Taupin (with Elton), Ira Gershwin....

I love virtuosity -- George Benson's early jazz stuff, YoYo Ma, Edgar Meyer, Bobby McFerrin, Joe Henderson, Victor Wooten, Chet Atkins, Oscar Peterson, Andres Segovia, Marvin Gaye, Francisco Tarrega, Paganini, Django, Ellington...

I love originality -- T Monk, Bela Fleck, Tom Waits, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Stravinsky, Bertolt Brecht, P-Funk....

I love country (especially older stuff), bluegrass, jazz, blues (especially Delta-style), funk.........

Damn, music may be my favorite subject ;)

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by gwinea2000@Feb 22 2005, 02:20 PM
TexAss girl: I love the Gladiator soundtrack. The woman who contributes the haunting vocal lines (as well as some of the compositions) is Lisa Gerrard. She is one of my faves. If you like Gladiator's soundtrack, check out her old band, Dead Can Dance. They're not incredibly well known, but have achieved a bit of a cult status. My album recommendation is "Toward the Within". I warn you, they're 'weird' at first, but give them a chance.
[post=285439]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks....I've actually been looking to buy one of Lisa's albums but didn't know which one to start with. Her vocals are just so beautiful that they make me want to cry. (damn women and their hormones!)

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My musical taste is eclectic, to say the least. I like some techno, ska, punk, disco, jazz, blues, classical, show tunes, Latin, opera, Gregorian chant ... even some country. It depends on my mood and the particular song (and singer) in question.

whatno

Just Browsing
Media
I really love music.

Favorite Bands/Artists: Cake, Radiohead, Pixies, Aphex Twin, The Beta Band, The (Real) Tuesday Weld, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Gotan Project, Dieselboy, Postal Service, The Fiery Furnaces, MC Chris :x..

to name a few, of course.

And y'know, I used to be the same way as most people, "Oh yeah, I love all music, except for rap and country, that is." There are many awful artists in both catagories, but more or less, I guess like both rap and country. Just as there are crappy musicians, there are as many good ones, that you just haven't listened to yet.

Rap/Hip-Hop I've been into lately includes, Handsome Boy Modeling School, RZA (The World According to RZA Awesome CD), RJD2, Hieroglyphics, Lord Finesse, Dizzee Rascal..

I haven't listened to much country lately though.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I like everything, but I LOVE ska the most. I was raised that like, you shouldn't judge a whole genre, you should like music based on the band/group/artist.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by TexAssgirl+Feb 22 2005, 01:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TexAssgirl &#064; Feb 22 2005, 01:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I&#39;m stuck in the 80&#39;s mostly. But I enjoy a lot of other music as well, from Enya to NIN.
[post=285310]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-TexAssgirl
@Feb 22 2005, 06:00 PM
I have quite a few orchestral soundtracks in my collection: Braveheart, Elizabeth, Gladiator, Titanic - not just for the Celine song, all three Lord of the Rings, and the Star Wars trilogy. People think I&#39;m strange for listening to those.

There&#39;s nothing like listening to Gladiator in your car and finding yourself driving faster when the music gets more intense for the battle scene scores. :lol:
[post=285408]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

I&#39;m a big fan of &#39;80s music myself there TAG, but I also have a slight inkling for some &#39;70s, and some &#39;90s. Soundtracks, well, I like the ROCKY scores a lot, and I&#39;ll tell you something, there&#39;s nothing like working out to that one track,going the distance, and Gonna Fly Now if you&#39;re working out. Plus James Brown&#39;s Living in America is great for patriotic events.

You know who I recenrtly discovered in 1992-1993 had a great talent I didn&#39;t realize was Meatloaf, and Anything For love. Say whatever the hell you feel about him, but he does have a great voice that conveys excellent emotion in song.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Meatloaf rocks&#33;&#33; I love all the classic bands: Led Zepplin, Eagles, Queen, Pink Floyd.....

My favorite band is actually Duran Duran. I know, I know..... And I love Madonna as well. Always have since she was like a virgin....those days are long gone, in more ways that one. ha/ha

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I&#39;m a music fiend&#33;

Older bands- Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull

More recent, Radiohead, Dresden dolls, Rasputina, Sigur Roz, Godspeed

I like anything from ska to classical, classic rock, atmospheric, rap, trance, as long as it is well played and written. I just hate soulless music&#33;

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Feb 22 2005, 11:34 PM
My musical taste is eclectic, to say the least. I like some techno, ska, punk, disco, jazz, blues, classical, show tunes, Latin, opera, Gregorian chant ... even some country. It depends on my mood and the particular song (and singer) in question.
[post=285531]Quoted post[/post]​
Yeah, what he said. I am the exact same way. It just all depends.