Muslims and sex

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by grandunification, Feb 2, 2009.

1. grandunification

grandunification Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Is it true that Muslims always wait until they are married to have sex?

2. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

Yes, Muslims are morally perfect. That's why sometimes they have to blow up non-Muslims all the time ... because the rest of us just aren't perfect enough to share the world with them.

3. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

^comments like that put us in a better position in the world dont they?

my mate is muslim and he hasnt waited. that said he also drinks and stuff so hes hardly a good muslim

4. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

I think muslims are just like we all are. They do it too. Maybe a lower percentage, but I don't know. They have astrong faith, but that can be good thing too. It's kind of admirable.

5. Moez???

Moez??? Active Member

Albums:
    Eh, the Muslim world is different than the West, so it shouldn't be viewed in the same way.

In Islam, it's suggested to get married as young as possible, so that you will be less tempted to have sex with random people. but in today's society, you can't really do that, so pre-marital sex is becoming more and more common, even in the Muslim world.

again, it also depends where you live. I am Muslim, born in the US. I decided to try to wait until I was married, but now at the age of 23, am giving up on that, and gonna shift to wait until I fall in love with a girl instead. My cousin, on the other hand, who was raised by the same family in the same way, decided to be a normal guy, and get laid whenever he feels like it (I mean, when he is able to). we both believe in the religion, we just don't follow it completely.

the same would be said for a Christian deep within a very strict (and in my opinion, very stupid) interpretation of Islam, like Saudi Arabia. They can't really do much, regardless of what they believe.

6. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Anecdotally, all of the Muslim people I personally know are sexually active.

However, if you would like to know how sexually active Muslims are worldwide, you can look at the availability of birth control and abortion services, and read articles about how segregation of the sexes has impacted sex and sexuality in some Muslim nations...

Alternatively, I can tell you I have learned non-Western Muslims have a rich sexual life, even though the sexes may be segregated. Young adults in a relationship can meet in their own flats, clandestinely in a hotel (or Dubai for Kuwaiti and Gulf youth), or even with the approval of their parents.

Often same sex relationships occur, not due to homo- or bi- sexuality necessarily, but as a sexual outlet. Homosexuality naturally exists, of course, and depending on how cosmopolitan the area, is a lifestyle one can live openly. There are short-term marriages, lasting as little as a few hours, for the sole purpose of sex. Prostitution, male and female, exists (almost exclusively for men to enjoy), but even in the most conservative countries.

As Pieterjoke wrote, Muslims have the same needs and desires as everyone else. They will either act on it or not, but not so disproportionately one way or the other that they cannot be compared to the average non-Muslim.

7. cbrmale

Gold Member

Albums:
    Almost all Muslims I personally know are sexually active before marriage, but then they are living in a Western country. I have been to Muslim countries, and it was clear that sex before marriage was quite common.

Strict Muslims will wait, and are possibly more likely to wait than strict Christians. The failed abstinence programme in the US showed the difference between Christian lip-service and Christian action.

8. Moez???

Moez??? Active Member

Albums:
    this is highly debated in Islam.

I think the "temporary" marriage isn't mean to be temp, it's more of an informal way to make a sexual relationship between a couple be legitimate in the eyes of God (speaking from the Muslim perspective of course).

this "temporary" marriage is very informal, and basically requires the girl to give the guy permission to have sex, and the guy thanking her for the permission with a gift. This was said by Muhammad, but was outlawed shortly after he passed away.

I think that works perfectly for someone like me, who is Muslim, but doesn't live in a Muslim society. A female of european decent would probably be VERY hesitant to go to my Shiek and have him marry us. Since the concept of marriage is much more of a commitement, but the "marriage" in Islam is more of a way to make sexual intercourse legitimate.

The word for the Shiek marrying a couple is called, in Arabic, "Nikah", which literally translates to sexual intercourse. The big celebration afterward is to show the community they are married, and if the couple isn't ready or doesn't feel they are know each other enough to be permenantly settled down, they big celebration doesn't have to happen, and if they split up, it is less of a big deal.

That's how i interpretate it, anyway.

9. cbrmale

Gold Member

Albums:
    In Australia where sex work is legal, I know of some prostitutes who have undertaken temporary marriages with their clients. There are two sects of Islam, and one of them has this concept and one doesn't.

10. D_Andreas Sukov

by sects, you mean sunni and shi'ite. isnt there one in saudi arabia called Wajid or something similar which is far more stricter?

11. B_625girth

B_625girth New Member

I heard that all muslim men experience sex with other men somtime before marriage. any truth to that?? or just another myth??

12. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

I thought Muslims were made of cotton??!?

Oh, wait.

That's muslin.

Sorry, never mind.

13. D_Andreas Sukov

this thread just shows how little we know about islam. every other thread is i thought...

14. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

There are more than two sects of Islam.
    The marriage Moez describes, I think is more Sunni or Gulf area?
    He'll have to clarify. However, the marriage I described is more common in Iran, and is not necessarily public or known to anyone other than the couple and possibly officiant.

Wahhabists, and yes they follow a strict form of Islam. The most liberal form that I have studied is Sufism. Sufism and Wahhabism are ideologically at odds.

I do not know about all, but it is common.
    I recommend reading Islamic Homosexualities by Murray for more information.

#14 D_Fiona_Farvel, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  15. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks for this thread, GU. Provided that it stays on topic, it's already interesting, and I like the insight.

16. houtx48

Gold Member

they don't wait but as soon as you're don they chop your head off so you don't tell anybody.

17. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmm... Somehow I knew that I spoke too soon. :rolleyes:

18. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:

that was going to be my question to the many posters on this thread that are US-located. being a Muslim in a or Middle Eastern country vs the US or Oz... has to be a huge difference. i'd bet that "western" Muslims are more tolerant of homosexaulity, while although it varies, can be quite harsh in the other hemisphere.

19. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I live in a Muslim country, but it's not Arabic. I know a lot of unmarried people in their twenties and early thirties and it seems that more and more, they are waiting until they have finished college, completed their military service, and established a career, before getting married. Among my friends and the people I work with, premarital relationships include sex. In fact, there is a lot of sex...

There is still a strong influence of family honor though. Although many young women are living with boyfriends, most would not dare to until they are over 25 or so. Many marriages are still arranged by the families and even if they are not, you can be sure the family will vet the prospective partner.

I think there is probably as much sex before marriage here as in the west, it's just kept undercover a lot more.

20. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Were the tenets in the Koran (and the Bible) followed as delivered and understood, Islam would be a religion of peace.

However, like Christianity, local regions evolve their own beliefs, just the same way Bible thumping Christians think its okay to hate Jews and Catholics.

I'd put it down to ignorance on all sides. The most obvious of terrorists only know about the Koran, and haven't read it.

A lot of people know who Jesus was, but don't know a thing about where their religion came from.

So the sexuality expressed by people also comes from their culture, and it can get smarmy all over.

Draft saved Draft deleted