Mutton dressed as lamb

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by wallaboi, Jan 25, 2010.

1. wallaboi

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    As a mature aged guy, i want to know if there is a male equivilent. Have you seen an older guy and thought "that guy is trying too hard"?

For me, work clothes is easy...business shirt, trousers and sometimes a tie. I live in a tropical climate, so suits are not really an issue.

I do however, often spend a lot of time thinking about whether my casual attire is age appropriate. I want to express my personality, but I don't want to look like a tool. I prefer to spend my money on buying good quality clothes that fit me well. Although I have a pretty athletic physique I know that skinny jeans are gonna make me look a bit stupid. As a 48 year old can i get away with wearing printed T shirts?

2. wallaboi

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Should I just be totally bland and give up trying to express my personality?

3. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Of course not. Wear what you're comfortable with wearing. There's nothing wrong with printed shirts unless it's an Ed Hardy. That or a popped collar will make you look like a tool at any age.

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Nah - don't be bland.. well, unless bland is your personality and that doesn't appear to be the case.

One thing I will say about older men in the 'mutton dressed as lamb' department is long hair is usually a no-no. Some older guys can carry it off. Most can't. A bald or balding pate and a pony tail screams either 'mid-life crisis' or 'who are you trying to kid' at me. Jack Nicholson is about the only guy who can get away with this - and even then it is only because he is Jack Nicholson - even a doppelganger who didn't act like JN would not get away with it.

Of course an older guy with a full head of hair can't always get away with long either - but it is at least possible.

Anyone, regardless of age, who wears badly fitting clothes or a style that doesn't suit his/her shape simply because that style is 'in' looks rough. But as I say, that's regardless of age.

Printed t-shirts? Sure! Of course you can. Long as they're the right size. I think wear what you feel right in, what you like to see in the mirror and what you know flatters both your body and fits with your personality. If people don't like it they can always go fuck themselves :smile:

#4 ManlyBanisters, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I like anything dressed as lamb. Especially Kotch. ;)

Seriously tho, I think wear whatever you like. It's only a problem if it's mutton dressed as teen. I tend to pick what I like from stuff that ppl within ten years of my age either way are wearing.

6. sluttygirl

sluttygirl New Member

You should totally wear skinny jeans...just make sure they aren't ball crushers...and you should know I want to have sex with you :)!

7. Cougar

Cougar New Member

Albums:
    You have a sexy body and you would look great in anything!

8. bfm01

bfm01 Member

Albums:
    You're a good looking, fit guy. Don't sweat it. Dress how you feel. Older people are younger these days anyway. cheers.

9. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Good quality clothing that fit properly are two of the key ingredients to looking great in clothes. They should express who you are and how you want the world to perceive you. Whatever my advice is worth is to say stay away from fads and "What's in style." Trust your own inner compass of what makes you look and feel happy and you will rarely go wrong. BTW I have a 30" waist and I've never felt like I was making a faux-pas in low rise skinny jeans, but maybe I'm living in a fools paradise and no one is telling me the truth when they say I look great.
    Lastly... most of looking great is feeling great inside and out.

10. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    i've always loved the thread title expression, it's so succinct.

you're in great shape, i would never guess you were 48, in fact, you're in better shape than alot of 20yo's.

you could wear anything you want with your bod, and as far as I'm concerned anything that shows off that body would get my attention, you could borrow from a homeless person and still be hot!

same goes for you NY, i know you're a natty dresser--but seriously, you could wear rags and look like a $mil

#10 thadjock, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  11. catman

Gold Member

I think the 2 worst 'aging' sins are dying your hair...badly- I know a latin friend who is greying...looks like he puts shoe polish on his hair and mustache...if you see him at the gym he has a nice chest full of salt and pepper 'furr'...

the other is the dreaded 'sausage casing shirts'...you know the shirts that have elastic at the waistband....

oh, or pulling your pants up to your navel...used to get tickled at the older regular at the drugstore...pulled them up so high (and tight) you could tell he was not circumcised when he sat... people would walk by and stare...a great anatomy lesson for kids...he woulud sit waiting on perscriptions...

12. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Thank you so much. I would still rather be naked with you and the OP. But thank you; you made my day.

13. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    You do have a great body and total look. I think men can do one modern or "current" trend but should not do them all at once. The Ed Hardy look as mentioned above can get on the loud side. But lets say one has the shirt...then don't do the skinny jeans and boot shoes and chains etc. Clothes that are tight on a man looks forced. Let it be fitted and show your physique, but be comfortable and be sincere...that is sexy too

14. Brensta

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jesus mate... if I look anywhere near as hot at 48 I'll be damn proud of myself.

I suggesyumt whatever makes you comfortable, just avoid the obvious traps like putting you collar up.

Seriously... 48... yum

15. lustful10

lustful10 New Member

My boyfriend is 48 and he looks really good. I think he looks no older than early-mid 30s. He's a rocker, has long hair, wears jeans and t-shirts/vest tops/hoodies. He's so attractive, and I wouldn't want him to be "bland", I think he's fine just how he is. Maybe not everyone would suit that, but he does, he also has a really great body, so he does suit what he wears!

So yeah, people should be themselves anyway, dress how you like.

16. wallaboi

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks for your comments and advice. ManlyBannisters, I agree ... thin hair and ponytails is not a good look.

When I was younger, I mostly prefered the feral, shabby chic kinda look, now I feel it kinda makes me look like a hobo so I try to keep a bit neater but not too coiffed.

17. wallaboi

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Catman..some life lessons for us all...lol

18. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

Sartorial matters are contentious. A grubby teenager in T shirt is as annoying as a middle aged man, but some sports and activities related to manual work require such. However, I presume we mean dress in the social sense. Formal or casual as long as the garment is well made and sized then it is acceptable, but overtly designer gear is for the young (under 20s) because it denotes lack of style (quality isn't all that good) and a certain degree of self indulgence wearing tat made by child labour. Don't forget a classic silk tie is for any age, and plastic buttons on blazer or lounge jacket is unforgiveable! I believe it but am saying it tongue in cheek. Dress how you please not as the occasion requires? Sure, be the elephant in the room.

Draft saved Draft deleted