"My Beautiful Mommy" - not sure what to think

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ManlyBanisters, Apr 26, 2008.

1. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Sorry if this is old news to you guys, but I just read this:

Kids’ Book on Plastic Surgery | Newsweek Health | Newsweek.com

There's a book out to (allegedly) help explain plastic surgery to children whose mothers are getting a job done.

Part of me is horrified - The idea that the plastic surgeon is presented as a superhero (the author is a ps :rolleyes:) and especially the quoted text "You see, as I got older, my body stretched and I couldn't fit into my clothes anymore. Dr. Michael is going to help fix that and make me feel better" is just fucking awful. What way is that to present weight gain / post pregnancy stretch to kids? I don't fit my clothes so instead of doing exercises or buying bigger fucking clothes I'm going to get a reasonably serious medical procedure!! And how are the kids going to feel when they outgrow their clothes, as kids do every year. And mommy gets a nose job too, to look 'prettier' - what if the kid has been told he/she has mum's nose?! And so on and so on. I just wonder how this is going to effect the self image of the kids it gets read to.

But I do kind of understand that women are having these procedures and that it might be confusing for kids and maybe a little help understanding is a good thing. Why has mum got two black eyes, a nose bandage, or a tummy bandage and can't carry me? Fair questions from a kid. My gut instinct though is that this book is going about it the wrong way and presenting plastic surgery too glibly to children.

Anyone else have any thoughts... or am I just a prude or something?

2. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sounds more like grooming future generations for plastic surgery than helping kids understand what's going on.

No single book can explain the why of it, only the what. Each parent undergoing the procedure should be able to understand their own reasons for doing so and explain it to their child.

On the plus side it is better (slightly) than, "Giving birth to and nursing you fucking destroyed mommy's figure so she's having the damage repaired so she can be a hottie again."

3. No_Strings

Gold Member

I agree with this.
    Furthermore, if all the stigma, criticism et al about plastic surgery is unwarranted, why couldn't a parent explain it to the child themselves, being honest about it?
    Being deceitful or sugar-coating it to one's own child implies shame and embarrassment to me.

4. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    My first thought. The concept is fine as explained, but the excerpts from the book were just awful. Especially mommy's obviously crooked nose and the fact that she didn't really have much on her stomach to begin with.

5. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I did a seminar on doing a non-fiction book proposal. One of the participants was a plastic surgeon who wanted to write a book called "Mommy Makeover".

When I say "participants", I use the word loosely. He sent his secretary to make notes.

6. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I've never met a vanity plastic surgeon who I didn't think was a contemptuous twat.

A friend of mine was quoted £26,000 for a prcedure in the UK, when she shopped around, she found a completely comparable facility in Budapest that did it for £6,000.

They are vultures. Having said that I don't have a problem with people wanting procedures, but there is a limit, after which you become ridiculous.

7. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wonder if the book covers this.

8. JustAsking

Gold Member

Gilette,
    That AwfulPlasticSurgery site is like watching a car wreck. You can't help but being morbidly fascinated. However, as a warning, when I was looking through it, my virus protection was ringing all kinds of alarms. It seems to be full of trojans.

Draft saved Draft deleted