My best friend is a straight guy

bryce05

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
And I love him so much.

I love that I can tell him I love him, and he tells me. That hardly a night goes by without us texting each other goodnight.

I love that he tells me everything about his relationships and sex life, and is always asking about mine. That I'm going to be his future kids' uncle.

I love that when I told him I am gay (after knowing him a few months) he said "This is going to be so cool," and gave me a hug. That we are completely comfortable around each other despite our differences.

Share your love for the straight guys in your lives!

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
What I like about it is he remained friends with you and more or less told you by his actions that your sexuality doesn't matter regarding your friendship. I'm always happy to see that.

D

deleted3782

I've had a few straight friends that I've had deep friendships with, but other commitments and responsibilities have gotten in the way and all of them have drifted away.

I really like straight guys as friends because they remain focused on the friendship. My gay friendships tend to get mixed up with romantic feelings and opportunities.

Maybe gay male-straight male relationships are somewhat analogous to gay male-straight female relationships in that way? Of course...guys can have that primeval bond that is hard to beat.

At any rate, all deep friendships are worth their weight in gold. If you have a deep connection with someone, consider yourself quite lucky.

One straight friend I had since 9th grade. We kept in touch as much as we could after high school, and took weekend trips together to explore cities through college and the years after. Great fun. When I decided I was gay, he was the first person I came out to. I remember that night clearly. He didn't freak out, he just calmly accepted what I told him and encouraged me to explore my feelings further. It was exactly what I needed. He even sent me a box of condoms for my birthday the next week so that I would be safe. He got married, had three kids, and focuses on that life now. I know he is happy with his family and I don't intrude on his life. I'm glad he has what he has...maybe one day when the kids are gone we will reconnect.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueShot

Experimental Member
Media
The closest thing I have to a best friend is straight. We had known each other for a year and half and the issue of gay/straight/whatever never came up since we rarely talked about sex. But I honestly have among the closest connection with him than almost any other person. And I know what you're thinking...but in the 4 or 5 years I've known him I have never thought of him in any sexual way.

When I came out:
*talking about something random*
Me: Y'know I'm gay right?
Him: Yeah, sure :rolleyes:
Me: I'm not joking
Him: ......
Him: *shrugs shoulders*
Him: Okay. :cool:
*We keep talking about random shit*

D_Blue_Barry_Eel

Account Disabled
Media
I think that with my age-group (19) and where I live it's such a non-issue that it's nothing special for me to have as many straight male friends as I do.

Hell, pretty much my best friend since we were at nursery school together is male and literally fuck-all has changed since I came out about three years ago. We're still close as hell, we still hang out lots, we still play-fight sometimes and piss about and take the mick out of each other, we still hug and love each other (not uncommon in our friend circles to say love ya' every now and then). He makes fun of how I've had sex with guys but he would've if I was having sex with girls because that's just how we are. Usually top-and-tail in same bed when I stay over too.

And obviously he's straight and we are just best friends. It's good to have people that are so comfortable with their own sexuality that that sort of stuff doesn't bother them as friends.

Last edited:

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
What I like about it is he remained friends with you and more or less told you by his actions that your sexuality doesn't matter regarding your friendship. I'm always happy to see that.

Such a rare thing these days. Treasure it. He sounds like a good guy and a true friend.

I'm envious of the relationships some people have, as I don't know anyone like that. I don't know anyone who would take things in stride like that without batting a lash. :frown1: Most people are such jerks nowadays.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oddly actually, I have virtually no gay friends and lots of straight ones, most of my friends being male. People my age really don't give a crap here.

Unfortunately, that's often not the case here.

Here in the U.S., many guys your age have been brainwashed by fundamentalist religionists to hate gay men and women. Fortunately, that has changed to a considerable degree and now many churches believe in full equality, including even marriage equality.

D_Blue_Barry_Eel

Account Disabled
Media
Unfortunately, that's often not the case here.

Here in the U.S., many guys your age have been brainwashed by fundamentalist religionists to hate gay men and women. Fortunately, that has changed to a considerable degree and now many churches believe in full equality, including even marriage equality.
I know it's considerably worse in the U.S. unfortunately, yes. In that respect I'm quite lucky, don't think I've ever had to deal with real homophobia in person. Some ignorance from a friend of mine more-so out of stupidity than homophobia and certainly online, but when I came out all my friends and family were all totally fine with it without exception. Couldn't have gone done better.

Even my ex-girlfriend remains to be my best friend. Not closer with anyone in the world than I am with her.