My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by CUBE, Jul 24, 2011.

1. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Anyone watching this TV show? I am not sure what to think of it. I mean, it IS awful...not awful good...just awful...but I do want to see how the Cinderella cake comes out. The brides teeth are really something else.

2. LaFemme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's fascinating - a whole other culture. I love watching it!

3. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Watched a little of that show with my mom and she grew up around gypsies in the 50's. She said the ones represented on the show are very different from the ones in her time. They were Armenian and a much rougher bunch. The ladies didn't take any crap from anyone.

As for this show, seems a little like that one show from the east coast and a very bad train wreck. I didn't like it and never tuned in again.

4. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I did not know the Irish decent group goes by "Travelers." I never heard of this Irish group before. The wedding dresses, though so over the top huge, don't really look like a real garment. They look like a craft project. I do think the use of color...though very camp...is a visual change over so many other wedding shows.

5. LaFemme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    What I find interesting are the gender roles - they are so strict and clearly defined. You could ask a four-year-old and they know exactly what is expected of them when they get older. Are they truly happy? They have shown a couple of girls who continued their education and finished high school (or most of it) and got jobs before getting married. Will they be happy? I find this show fascinating.

And considering how sexy everyone dresses, they have fairly rigid rules about what is allowed between the boys and girls too.

6. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, seeing the second episode gave it all more context. I just don't understand the prices and the jobs these people have to pay for it all. I guess the wedding dress price is never revealed.

7. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

The outfits are way beyond tacky. The light up wedding dress and the poofy hot pink bridesmaid dresses were so hideous that they were actually funny, but as long as the bride liked them that's all that matters.

8. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, I agree they beyond tacky...but the interesting thing is that they are so over the top. They look like a challenge in construction. I mean the designer said she once made one that was 300 lbs in weight. Can you imagine? At least it is something other than one more David Tutera Vera Wang number. I like the circus quality of it.

9. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:
    i have seen the show. it's a train wreck of a television show. i've turned it on and couldn’t look away.

i've also seen a show about irish travellars. the show basically said: do not let them do any work for you, they will rip you off. wether this is true or not i don't know since i have not seen, or, met any trabellers.

10. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:
    the show i consider a complete train wreck is: "toddlers and tiaras." waxing toddlers/a babys eyebrows while she screams and cries for them to stop. spray tanning, mascara, lip gloss and debating fake nails for very little girls. this show has made me sick.

11. superbot

Gold Member

They're known (disparagingly) as pikey's in the UK and have a VERY bad press.Most of it deserved.The programme caused a storm when it was shown very young gipsy were accused of being dressed as little more than prositutes.

12. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Oh la la I just looked at a couple of clips on line... What a train wreck. I'll have to watch a whole program at least once. Those dresses are a nightmare.

13. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

The largest Irish Traveller enclave in the United States is just outside North Augusta, South Carolina. (right on the Georgia/South Carolina state line) They do not have a good reputation in SC because they have supposedly ripped a lot of people off doing odd jobs and other home-improvement work like roofing, paving, and the like. Here is an article I found online about them. Inside the world of Irish Travelers

In the Charlotte, North Carolina area, there is a fairly large Roma population, but I've not ever heard anything negative about them. I know two of the families and they both own large companies that have very good reputations. I went to one of their weddings and it was quite the opposite of a Traveller wedding. While there was a lot of glitz and glam, it was not over the top tacky--it was more like who could compete for the fanciest designer wear and jewelery, not the poofiest light up wedding dress and skimpiest outfit. I think that both Saks and Neiman-Marcus probably were emptied out by the time this wedding were over.

14. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not really a fan of these wedding shows, I have been involved in too many badly done, real weddings to enjoy it.

15. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, there are so many different subcultures of gypsies, and they vary a lot. This show is just one style of it! Taught me what a 'chav' was though :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted