My close friend and I are not out... to each other?

XSILVER

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Since you mentioned the mutual friend inviting him to eat with you, maybe you could take it a step further and have someone privately ask him how he feels.

Ya!... I wouldn't go there. Things are already on touchie grounds (no punn intended) Don't want him to feel "outted" or exposed... I would just go about things as they have been and take it one step at a time. Seems like they are both well on their way.

gsisaac

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
dewit, thanks for your suggestion. :)
But the thing is, as XSILVER mentioned, I don't want to make my friend feel "outted" or exposed. As it is, I'm not out myself, so if I were to do so, I would basically be outting myself and thus possibly putting my friend-of-interest at risk of being further scrutinized, etc. I really don't want to create an uncomfortable situation for him, and I certainly don't want to lose his trust. (Even if I was kept anonymous, I would still be guilty of placing more attention on him and his sexuality.)

This brings me to another point, though slightly unrelated. I think one of the reasons we are such good friends is that I don't treat him with scrutiny like many of our other friends do, in regards to his sexuality. While he claims publicly to be straight, many, many others suspect him to be gay. I feel bad for him sometimes when I hear my other friends make homophobic remarks about him, whether to his face or behind his back. If he's not there, I always stand up for him by saying things like, "Whether he's gay or straight or whatever, I don't care. He's a nice guy, don't you think?" And I've been around him when he was teased by some other Japanese, not necessarily them saying to him, "You're gay," or the like, but just pestering him in other ways. In those situations, I tend not to stand up for him directly because I firmly believe that he should stand up for himself. It really looks like junior high school sometimes, and he's above it. I've mentioned it before that I think some of the other guys tease him too much, and he said that he doesn't mind because it means that they actually just like him. Somehow, from what I've seen, this isn't far from the truth...

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
swede82, You brought up an interesting point!
The international students attending my school are plenty, and I've actually sensed before that many of them don't seem totally straight. Someone is probably going to read what I'm writing and blame this on cultural differences, but I've already that in. I honestly feel myself that if I was going to be outward about my sexuality, it would be easier to do it in a different country (so long as I can find friends there who are more nonjudgmental about non-heterosexuality). So I'm glad to have received your note about that!

Coincidentally, the best handjobs I've ever gotten in my life were from a Korean MBA student who left his wife and kid back in Seoul or wherever. Where the fuck did he learn that? (I doubt from practicing on himself, because he had a very small cock and I don't.) Maybe during South Korean military service??? :wink:

gsisaac

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Update???

I'm sorry for not updating sooner!
To be honest, I've been a little bit discouraged... Maybe I'm too much of a coward.

First and foremost, I am still not out to my friend, nor have I explicitly expressed my interest in him yet. However, time has passed and some factors have been added/changed.

He and I have been spending a lot of time together lately. As a matter of fact, the LPSG members who commented before gave me some great advice and different perspectives that I used, and I spend quite a bit of time with my friend, trying some of the less obvious techniques. In fact, we've spend a significant amount of time together since then -- so much so that I got to busy to post here. Anyhow, let me offer some news...

My friend claims that he had a girlfriend before. We don't talk about it much. As a matter of fact, I've made the decision to not talk with him about girls too much. I'd already come across to him as too heterosexual before, which I think might be discouraging for closeted male bisexuals/homosexuals/et cetera. Anyhow, when I was driving in the car with him, I asked when he was last with a girlfriend. We are very close, but I think neither of us likes talking about ex relationships. He said that his last girlfriend broke up with him around the end of last year (about a year ago) after they had been dating only two months. I've asked him before about whether he's had sex [with a girl], and he had claimed that he'd had sex [with a girl], but what straight[-acting] 21-year old college male wouldn't say that to his judgmental male peers [especially given that he's been raised in an often-homophobic society]? I tried to discern whether he was being honest about it, but he's sometimes hard to read... Being a closeted bisexual myself, I can say that if he is TRULY closeted, because I know that he is smart, this part of him can be clouded and difficult for others to know what is true and what is not.

My real point in that last part is that he seems to have not been able to maintain a lasting relationship with a girl, for what reason I did not try to ask (partially out of respect, though I honestly would like to know...), and I'm left wondering why he seemed as uncomfortable as he did about talking about it.

Honestly, I feel so weak right now. I just want to be able to tell him my feelings without our relationship changing for the worse. Even if he turns out to be closeted, even if he is interested in me as well, it it does not mean that he will automatically enter a deeper relationship with me, especially if he is to maintain a publicly heterosexual image.

If anyone wants more clarification... PLEASE ASK ME. I have so many thoughts on my mind right now, but I don't know what information to provide, and I'm sure that my sole opinion on this can't be the most thoroughly-devised logic... Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

B_debonair87

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm sorry but you're behavior is a bit narcissistic and douchebag-ish.

Saying stuff like "Myself and some others think he's gay and in the closet because of his mannerisms and how he talks"
And "he's not the hottest guy in the world".

Then going as far as asking him if he's ever had sex with a girl. That is super offensive.

Its like you're saying "I know this kid is gay and I know I can get him because I'm a hot piece off ass.....but I have zero confidence in myself"

Instead of continuously pussy-footing around just tell the damn guy you like dudes and have a crush on him.

gsisaac

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I'm sorry but you're behavior is a bit narcissistic and douchebag-ish.

Saying stuff like "Myself and some others think he's gay and in the closet because of his mannerisms and how he talks"
And "he's not the hottest guy in the world".

Then going as far as asking him if he's ever had sex with a girl. That is super offensive.

Come again? I think you misunderstood my message.
To be clear, I said that "he [my friend] is not the best-looking guy, but there is a cuteness to him that I really enjoy". My point in saying that was that it's not that I'm just "going for the hottie", nor am I claiming that I am some hottie myself; I genuinely enjoy his personality. I went on to say that he and I have grown close as friends, and I don't grow close to people like that unless they are generally good people. Also, I mentioned earlier that I'm not looking for sex... If things progressed to a relationship, then I would probably end up wanting to try sex, yes, but that's not what I'm after. Also, at no point did I try to imply that I'm some "hot piece of ass" who can automatically get curious or non-straight guys. I don't even know where you got that from. I did say that he might be interested in me already, but that's based on cues or evidence. I'm not pulling random ideas out of thin air. He and I are already close as friends.

Also, our circle of friends is generally comfortable talking about sex, or at least sex with girls. We were drinking in a group at my place when the subject came up, and he wasn't the only one to talk. Everyone was talking about themselves. We're young and in college, so some of us have had sexual experiences, and some of us haven't. It's no big deal to ask about it!

Anyway, I agree with you about at least one thing, and that is that I haven't demonstrated the courage to be more explicit to talk with my friend about my feelings. I want to get a move on it because I'm tired of just a tension between us. I need to move closer or move on at this point.

B_debonair87

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Come again? I think you misunderstood my message.
To be clear, I said that "he [my friend] is not the best-looking guy, but there is a cuteness to him that I really enjoy". My point in saying that was that it's not that I'm just "going for the hottie", nor am I claiming that I am some hottie myself; I genuinely enjoy his personality. I went on to say that he and I have grown close as friends, and I don't grow close to people like that unless they are generally good people. Also, I mentioned earlier that I'm not looking for sex... If things progressed to a relationship, then I would probably end up wanting to try sex, yes, but that's not what I'm after. Also, at no point did I try to imply that I'm some "hot piece of ass" who can automatically get curious or non-straight guys. I don't even know where you got that from. I did say that he might be interested in me already, but that's based on cues or evidence. I'm not pulling random ideas out of thin air. He and I are already close as friends.

Also, our circle of friends is generally comfortable talking about sex, or at least sex with girls. We were drinking in a group at my place when the subject came up, and he wasn't the only one to talk. Everyone was talking about themselves. We're young and in college, so some of us have had sexual experiences, and some of us haven't. It's no big deal to ask about it!

Anyway, I agree with you about at least one thing, and that is that I haven't demonstrated the courage to be more explicit to talk with my friend about my feelings. I want to get a move on it because I'm tired of just a tension between us. I need to move closer or move on at this point.

ok there's clearly some reading comprehension issues going on here because this post doesn't even relate well to my original post. also some hypocrisy in there.

despite you saying how close you are to this guy YOU STILL KNOW NOTHING OF HIS SEXUALITY. And you yourself stated you and him don't talk about ex-girlfriends and love lives etc...

you flat out asked this kid if he has ever had an intimate relationships with a female and then posted your own thoughts on his answer....
but what straight[-acting] 21-year old college male wouldn't say that to his judgmental male peers [especially given that he's been raised in an often-homophobic society]?
friends talk about sex but they don't flat out ask if they had relations with the opposite sex. who does that?

at least you realize you're a judgmental person. as much as you're trying to express you're shyness in this thread you're also doing a great job showing your arrogance as well as painting this poor boy out to be a liar.

just my 2 cents....:)

Last edited:

gsisaac

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
In response to debonair87:
First of all, I touched on various points that you brought up in my last post, and I provided additional background/clarifying information (for you or for any other readers). Also, I'm not seeing what exactly is so hypocritical about what I stated. Maybe you're referring to the part where I said that I said that I'd made a decision to not talk much with him about girls or past relationships... If so, that was my fault for stating so in a confusing order, because I'd gone on to state directly thereafter that I'd talked with him about girls. First was the discussion of sex, then a week or so after my conscious decision to not try to bring up the topic of girls or past relationships too much, and then spending time together, spending time together, and then my daring to ask him about his last girlfriend AFTER he had mentioned something about having a girlfriend. I can understand why my earlier explanation seemed contradictory, but this is the order of events, and I used heavy discretion in choosing when to ask about my friend's ex-girlfriend.

Touching back on an earlier point I made... In actuality, the discussion of sex had come up at a group get-together at my place fairly early on in our friendship. And like I said, it was in a casual group setting. All of the members of that conversation are comfortable with each other as friends or at least friendly acquaintances, and all were male. However, there is no denying that among peers there sometimes exists peer pressure and even judgment. debonair87, you stated that "friends talk about sex but they don't flat out ask if they had relations with the opposite sex." Your friends, maybe. But this has happened in more than one circle of my friends, and I've never felt offended by it. In fact, the friends who I've talked with about having sex with girls have often come to be closer friends of mine afterward. I suppose that it is just your opinion, but different strokes for different folks.

I'd like to add this... Even though I may not know exactly (with proof) the sexual orientation of my friend in question, it doesn't mean that we're not close as friends. There is no rule that states that close friends must know each others' sexual orientation in order to be close friends. I just said in the last paragraph that I've grown close with other friends after having talked about sex with girls, yes, but it isn't just knowing my friends' sexual orientations that makes me close with them. In fact, I've only ever come out to one person as bisexual, and he and I have never been that close (he came out to me as gay because, or so he claimed, he sensed that I knew of his sexual orientation). But I have other friends who I am very close to, yet they don't know my sexual orientation. Even my best friends don't know. Does that make us less of friends? Perhaps we would be closer if they knew for sure, but there are so many other factors that have brought us closer...

The friend of mine whom I have romantic feelings for is often doubted about his sexuality by others (i.e. he is often regarded as a closeted gay or bisexual), for reasons that are not arbitrary. I'm sure you're familiar with "gaydar". Some people have it, and some people don't, and some people slip under the radar more easily than others. In the case of my friend, his mannerisms and speech style are notably consistent with those of non-straight-identifying males. While I recognize this, I don't want to just ASSUME COMPLETELY that he is non-heterosexual, nor do I want to "out" him if he turns out to be so. But when the way he answers to the group question of "Have you ever had sex with a girl?" seems peculiar, it will be noted (and it was noted by others, as I later found out).

Anyway, debonair87, I think everyone tells lies here or there, and when it comes to sexual orientation, those who are pressured by society to be straight will sometimes lie about their orientation when they would rather avoid the persecutions and prejudices that come with being anything but heterosexual. So yes, I am considering that my friend may be lying about his sexual orientation and past experiences in order to avert suspicions laid on him by others (not only myself) that he may not be heterosexual. Am I incriminating him for it? Not at all! I neither expect nor hope that my friend will just end up coming out as non-heterosexual. Read into the situation a little bit more. I myself am a fucking closeted bisexual.

gsisaac

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Alright, after having reviewed the offers of advice and suggestions that I've received so far from readers here, I've concluded that I should probably move on to the next stage of action. I ultimately want to have a serious and honest discussion with my friend about sexual orientation, both mine and his.

Before, I wasn't sure about whether I should keep my feelings a secret or not, but I've begun to feel that I should let him know about my feelings for him. I've been trying to with some level of physical intimacy (e.g. hand-on-shoulder contact) and flirtatious discussion, but my guards sometimes come up when I start to feel like I've let too much of my true colors show. I'm sure that this has misled him.

Should I continue as I am now, but without putting up such a guard between him and me, letting him see my feelings through my actions and implicitness? Or should I be more explicit already and lay everything out on the table? And if so... how do I even go about bringing it up? (I don't have experience with "coming out", and I only want for this one person to be able to know my sexual orientation for now.)

I'm at a loss right now. I would especially like to hear advice from someone who's had an experience similar to mine. Thank you...

XSILVER

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
ALRIGHT..... well..... I'm not one with words so Im going to speak as i think so dont take offence to anything that i say....

You need to stop thinking that your giving him signs that your intredted in him because your not! Most of the time... a hand on the shoulder is just....a hand on the shoulder. You need to man up.... sit im down in private and tell him "Dude... i like you!" simple as that. All you are doing other wise is making (what you think is) a move on they guy and then beating your self up about why he is not making any back at you. If he is gay, he A) is clueless and has no idea what your up to or B) just is not that into you but you NEED to either sit him down and talk to him or make a legitimate move on him as in move in for a kiss or something that CAN NOT be miss interprated!!! Simple as that. If you dont have confidence in yourself, how can you expect anyone else to have confidence in you?

badger2395

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
ALRIGHT..... well..... I'm not one with words so Im going to speak as i think so dont take offence to anything that i say....

You need to stop thinking that your giving him signs that your intredted in him because your not! Most of the time... a hand on the shoulder is just....a hand on the shoulder. You need to man up.... sit im down in private and tell him "Dude... i like you!" simple as that. All you are doing other wise is making (what you think is) a move on they guy and then beating your self up about why he is not making any back at you. If he is gay, he A) is clueless and has no idea what your up to or B) just is not that into you but you NEED to either sit him down and talk to him or make a legitimate move on him as in move in for a kiss or something that CAN NOT be miss interprated!!! Simple as that. If you dont have confidence in yourself, how can you expect anyone else to have confidence in you?

What XSILVER said. Talk to him. Really. "Hey, I really like you and think you're attractive."

gsisaac

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
XSILVER, I take NO offense to what you said!

My physical interactions do go beyond just a hand on a shoulder (I only used that example to say that my touching was non-sexual, i.e. not touching groins or something... Haha). As I mentioned before, there's the occasional leg-on-leg (though I didn't outright reciprocate it but rather allowed it to prolong), or a hand [secretly] on his lower back when we're seated next to each other. Although I touch him -- usually just on the shoulder/arm/back -- literally every time I part ways with him. I've found that he likes to slap my butt sometimes when we're walking together.

I do think that there are people in both camps who may or may not read into physical interactions such as these as being true signs of one "expressing his/her interest" in another, per se. Personally, I think it is not the most explicit way to express my true feelings, but on the contrary, I always notice when someone touches me like that in those affectionate ways, and I have trouble forgetting when people do such a thing to me. What I mean is, it kind of stimulates me both emotionally and physically. My friend may or may not be the same way, but after reading another thread in this board called "homoerotic behavior" [click to link], I have to question to what extent can touching be used as an effective way to at least ease in the idea that I am expressing interest.

But XSILVER and badger2395, you two are right in that I do need to talk to him. And XSILVER, I especially appreciated this piece that you wrote:
"If you don't have confidence in yourself, how can you expect anyone else to have confidence in you?"

rayray

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I have read your whole entire posts..At your age i had no idea about how to convey to someone i became friends with, and after a time grew fond of him, enjoyed his company, felt different around him, etc...I too had other friends who talked openly about sex and had no idea i was either bi or gay. With me you either knew or was totally oblivios of what i liked to do behind closed doors.I was hard to read. To me the heterosexual part of you is protecting your gay side. I missed many oppurtunitys because i was afraid of loosing friends or offending others.You will find out later on in life that the only thing that matters is what you think about youself..And if these friends you have (your close knit friends) rejects you after revealing more about yourself are friends you dont need or want..Think about the friends in college you have now, in a few years you will lose contact with the majority of them.Do you ever use the web together ? If you dont and have an oppurtune time and say hey, i found this site on the web, come check it out. It does not have to be this site but a site that maybe shows 3 ways or something you both get to laugh together aboy..You get my drift..These are some of my thoughts and suggestions. Just keep it simple and good luck...

gsisaac

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
rayray:
Thank you for sharing some of your experiences and opinions.
You briefly touched on an idea that I want to hear more about, if you don't mind sharing your thoughts a little more. You suggested that my "heterosexual side" is "protecting" my "gay side". What exactly do you mean by this? Just to restate what I've said earlier, I'm bisexual, not homosexual.

If I'm correctly understanding what you've said, it might be more accurate to say that my heterosexual persona is protecting (i.e. from public view) my true bisexual self. I don't really feel that it does justice to separate my bisexuality into "a heterosexual side and a gay side" (as in a duality of hetero- and homosexuality)... It's a really difficult feeling for me to explain, and I wish I could explain better... Maybe you can understand what I'm talking about, though...

Please let me know if I can elaborate or clarify any points! I feel like the understanding of my readers will allow for more appropriate responses. :)

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I've read all the posts in this thread also and rayray brings up a valid point. It IS the heterosexual part of you that protects the bisexual part of you (I do understand, as does rayray that they are intertwined). Because you are closeted (which we all have different timeframes of letting go of the closet, some do it forever) your unsure of your "moves" on him, etc. It's almost as if you want to touch him and if he does respond, you can say "man I didn't mean it that way" or whatever because whether you realize it or not it is you sending the mixed signals. He doesn't know what to make of your moves so he doesn't interpret them as "moves". If the hetero part of you was not so scared as to let others know about the "bisexual" part of you, you would have already upped the ante and literally made a move. But your fear is if you make a move and even you interpreted him as gay or whatever, and it turns out he is not you have outed yourself. He could reject you is the fear. If he is gay, your "moves" are so subtle that they may simply be interpreted as a strong friendship, nothing more. He (if he is) as a gay closeted guy is equally as afraid to respond to you for he values your friendship and inside may feel that if he goes further than he has and you reject him, then he has outed himself. It's almost as if you both are in the same place; fear is holding both of you back. One of you needs to "man up" and make a move that is not subtle and cannot be misinterpreted. That I will leave to you. If you never do that, I don't think he will either because BOTH of you are afraid of the consequences if you are misreading the other. How about something like talking with him when you are alone somewhere and saying can I tell you something without you judging me or however you want to word it. Ask that what you are about to say stays between the two of you if the closet is important to you which it definitely is from my read or you would have already made a move. Then tell him. If you never do, you two may graduate with subtle touches, etc., and never having an "experience" or whatever you want to call it. You could also say many think he is gay and it doesn't matter to you if he is or not; that you will still love the friendship regardless. Man up. If you don't, I don't see it going further. It's all about FEAR, for BOTH of you.

badger2395

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
rayray:
Thank you for sharing some of your experiences and opinions.
You briefly touched on an idea that I want to hear more about, if you don't mind sharing your thoughts a little more. You suggested that my "heterosexual side" is "protecting" my "gay side". What exactly do you mean by this? Just to restate what I've said earlier, I'm bisexual, not homosexual.

If I'm correctly understanding what you've said, it might be more accurate to say that my heterosexual persona is protecting (i.e. from public view) my true bisexual self. I don't really feel that it does justice to separate my bisexuality into "a heterosexual side and a gay side" (as in a duality of hetero- and homosexuality)... It's a really difficult feeling for me to explain, and I wish I could explain better... Maybe you can understand what I'm talking about, though...

Please let me know if I can elaborate or clarify any points! I feel like the understanding of my readers will allow for more appropriate responses. :)

I'm a bisexual guy, and I know what you mean by being unable to split it into a "gay side" and a "straight side." That having been said, one thing that all non-straight men need to recognize is that we're all socialized to avoid same-sex intimacy and affection. So what this leads to is a tendency to not cross invisible lines that might suggest we DO feel a degree of intimacy and attraction to someone of the same sex. It's often scary, especially if you haven't done it before.

One of the more exhilarating aspects of coming out is that you discover how to cross that line and show - without shame or embarrassment - physical affection and attraction towards other men. Not that long ago, I found myself making out with one of my friends, a very hot young guy, behind his house by my car. What we didn't immediately realize was that we were visible to some people who were partying one house over, and they started to notice. I've been out long enough that I just looked over and just shook my head in irritation. My guy friend thought this was tremendously funny and bust out laughing. If I hadn't come to terms a long time ago with being out as a bi guy, I suspect I would've felt very embarrassed.

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Being closeted as a bi guy or a gay guy is really no different. Both do not want others to know they are gay or bi. That's what the closet is all about isn't it? I'm not saying to him he needs to come completely out to others, but if he doesn't risk outing himself to his Japanese friend I see it going nowhere because the Japanese friend of his has yet to make a move that cannot be considered subtle either (except maybe for the footsies!!)

rayray

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
"You suggested that my "heterosexual side" is "protecting" my "gay side". What exactly do you mean by this? Just to restate what I've said earlier, I'm bisexual, not homosexual.(THis is a quote your wrote)"

This thread frustrates me because when i was younger 17, 18 i dated both women and men..At that time men were on the DL until i went exclusively with men. I didnt show my gay side nor felt comfortable with it for longest time because i came from a big family with 5 brothers.When i finally acknowledged to them that i was indeed gay, which i later learned they all knew did not changed the love they had for me.When i was 17 i met the cutest guy who was staying with an older brother for the summer..We both felt the attraction (something we did not talk about) but neither one of us would make the first bold move. So he left at the end of the summer and nothing happened.We would literally sit in his living room with our bathing suits on and talk and i felt this tremendous urge to reach out to him, i also felt his energy but with all the second guessing nothing happened..That's what may happen to you if you just stop second guessing yourself..Like i said you need to create a situation with the 2 of you like i suggested and go from there because so far nothing is working the way you are trying.Your public persona that is really you is giving him the mixed signals..I really dont like suggesting that when he over having a couple glasses of wine to loosen you both up. It has worked for me in the past.It's all there from what you have wrote,(playing wth each others feet, the sleep overs etc...Make the move. He wont be dissapointed..