My dog has a tumor.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Thoraxis_Biggulp, Jun 29, 2008.

1. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

***Crap Crap Crap! I thought I was in ETC. Could a mod move this please? </embarrassed>***

We just found out that it's malignant and inoperable. Or rather, it's too close to his spine for any of the veterinary surgeons to feel comfortable trying to remove the whole thing without risking his safety. Chemo would only be able to shrink it a small amount. With medication, they said he's got about 2 months left.

#1 D_Thoraxis_Biggulp, Jun 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    aww stapled.....man I am so sorry. i know how bad you must be feeling right now. I wish I knew of something to do to help you out....but I don't, so I'll just put you and your best friend in my prayers

3. RedScrotum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sorry to hear about your pup.... I kinda know how you feel, mine has lost 25% of his body weight, 60# down to 44#....but xrays didn't show anything.....

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear that, stape. I hope its last days are filled with love.

5. splitface

splitface New Member

Man that blows. This happened to my dog when she was 13 and I was like 8. I'm real sorry. It's important to be close with him, now more then ever.

6. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Man, that's frustrating, not being able to find the cause.

We're gonna let him live out his last days. We've long since stopped putting animals down and let them live out their entire lives rather than executing them when things get inevitably bad.

7. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

That's shit, Stapled, I'm really sorry to hear it.

There's not much else to say - I hope it isn't too hard on either of you. :frown:

8. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    :frown: I'm sorry to hear this...

I hope you use the last few months to feed your dog plenty of delicious junk food and give him a lovely time :hug:

:kiss:

9. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Thirteen is a good long life for a dog though. So atleast she had plenty of time here.

We actually have no idea how old he is. We got him about, um... 6 years ago, I think. At the time, we assumed he was about a year old because of how active he was once he got some weight on him (he was nearly starved to death when we adopted him). But then from looking at the size of him and how little he grew since then, we think he may have already been an adult at the time. The sudden activeness was just excitement and happiness from finally being in a good home. Even the adoption center had no clues about his age.
    Either way though, we gave him atleast 6 damn good years, so he's ending it all on a high note.

10. JustAsking

Gold Member

You would think there would be more important things in the world and in our lives than a concern about a sick dog. But I have to say that the notion of my dog (or yours, SS) being terminally ill is just as devastating as anything else I can think of.

My heart goes out to you, SS. I can say that my response to a similar situation was to savor the remaining good moments with my dog that I could. And to realize that even with the certainty that I would go through this again if I got another dog for a pet, I would gladly do it anyway for all the goodness that comes with it as well.

When I asked my vet for advice on when to put an end to my dog's suffering, he gave me the best advice I can think of. He said, "When she no longer seems to enjoy being a dog."

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dog, SS.

11. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Hah, indeed. The new rule is that, if it's not spicy, chocolate or full of onions, he gets to sample whatever he begs for. Keep him as happy as we can for his final days.

12. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yea that sucks man. Sorry to hear that. My momma had a poodle for 19 years before I was born. That's unusually long for a dog to live. She didn't want to put him to sleep. She would just hope that he would already be departed whn she came home from work. But eventually she put him to sleep. I was almost one at the time.

My cat is about 1 1/2 and when that day comes I don't know if I can make that decision. I really don't feel lik eI have the right to choose when his last moment will pass , but at the same time I don't want to watch him suffer.

Hearts go out to you.

13. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Damn, 20 years is really long for most dogs.

14. simcha

Gold Member

Sorry to hear about your baby having a tumor. Hugs and thoughts and prayers coming your way...

15. HungLikeRodan

HungLikeRodan New Member

My border collie had a brain tumor & the doc told me that there was no hope for her & told me to put her down. She was only 9 & when I brought her there, she looked at me for hope & I told him no, she's not ready.

I then looked high & low trying to find her an alternative solution. Of which, I did.

I read that this product Rm-10 by Garden of Life - VitaminShoppe.com
    was great for reversing tumors when given in high doses. I figured I had nothing to lose & if she began to suffer too much, I would then bring her back to be euthanized.

Low & behold, giving a 45 Lb border collie 4 caplets a day for a little over 90 days, the tumors were gone.

In the case of cancer, give her alkaline water, as cancer cannot survive in an alkaline body.

Most water has a Ph of 6. I gave her water that was around a Ph of 9-10.

I bought this product on Ebay for that

alkalife, Dietary Supplements, Nutrition, Health Beauty items on eBay.com

Good luck with this. It worked for me. I had her for another 6 years before she passed away. Sadly, it was this past Christmas evening. But...I did get another 6 years with her. RIP Mia

16. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

I'll definitely look into those as options. Sounds like they'd do more for him than any surgery would at this point.

17. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Oh im so sorry to hear this:frown1:

18. transformer_99

Gold Member

I stopped owning animals as pets back in 1989. I understand and know of the benefits a pet can bring as a faithful companion thru a period of life. That said, there are several ways a pet can go. Natural causes, disease like cancer and then there's the hit in traffic as the most predominant reasons.

Living in FL, bugs are a dogs worst natural enemy. So what to do there, let the animal naturally be attacked and do little about fleas, or give the animal some medication or dip them for fleas periodically. I believe the latter treatments are what winds up giving these animals the cancer ultimately. You basically are poisoning the animal to get rid of the fleas with pesticides. So will/does the animal live longer or healthier free of the pesticides ?

I've had a couple of dogs (outdoor pets) hit by cars, that sucks too. But the dogs (all indoor pets) my mom has had lived longer, but cancer has gotten each one of her pets, every time.

The other knock I have on the pet is the vet bills, and they can be just as bad for a sick animal as a human being. I guess I'd try the suggestions, but if things get beyond worse, take the dog to be put down before you wind up with a dog in hospice.

19. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm sorry to hear that. We put my first dog down when he got bone cancer AGAIN (we had his leg amputated to try and save him, and it seemed to have worked at first, but it came back). I don't get why where the tumor is located is an issue.. I mean even if the chance of it working is like 1%, that is still higher than not doing it. :\ I understand if you don't want to though, it is tough to have to deal with all that.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

20. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I really hate to hear that!! :(

Draft saved Draft deleted