My eye has recovered.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Thoraxis_Biggulp, May 21, 2008.

1. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

I can see more than 18" in front of my face now.

... Given where I'm posting this, that sounds like I'm hallucinating a horse wang.

2. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

So what are your plans? Going to stick out the training? Or go back?

3. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

The only way I can do the training is if there's a class next week, but there isn't. They're not going to spare someone out of Human Resources to get one person through orientation a day behind everyone else.
    Here in a bit, I'm going to go to the employment agency and find out who I need to have sign my time card to get credited for that nine hours. After that, I'll see if anything short term is going on this weekend. When I get paid next week, I'm going back to Tennessee.

4. lilbighorn

lilbighorn New Member

Heh. Good plan. Get back to a situation you know.

5. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Exactly. Now there's just the matter of getting back. And once I get there, catching up on my bills again. This month has put me even further behind.

6. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I hope your eye is not stapled shut.

You learned a good lesson, do not move out of state if you do not have extra money to fall back on.

Can't you ask anyone in your family to lend you money to get back to Tennessee? Either way, Good luck.

7. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

I had extra money to fall back on. There was also supposedly a job opening lined up for me to start shortly after I arrived. So much for trusting people.
    I might be able to get some money from my parents, but I'm already heavily indebted to them. So that would be my last resort.

8. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

It depends on what kind of parents you have. I recently told my parents that I was moving to Florida. My father said that if I needed to come back I always had a home in his house. My parents have savings and I'm sure if I needed money they would give it, and not as a loan.

You are still young. I lived with my parents until I was 29 and they did not want me to leave. That's how I was able to save 2 years worth of rent in case something happened.

9. joshunot

joshunot New Member

Albums:
    Glad your eye's better. Now can I suck your cock?

10. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Well, they're wanting me to pay back what I owe them (currently $3300), and I'd like to get it done before this time next year. I am welcome to go back to stay with them, but there's the matter of getting back, y'know.
    But then I'd be back in Knoxville, where the traffic and the job market are both even worse than here.

11. transformer_99

Gold Member

Just me, but I'd say you already have a job there in Tampa (with a DOD contractor (as I recall) and those pay pretty well, the benefits aren't bad either) and you need to buckle down and earn some money before you run away and borrow more. Get yourself a place, while you have a job, don't move into that housing arrangement if that bothers you and if you're going to borrow money, why go back to higher unemployment rate and no job ? Use any additional borrowings to move your fiance to Tampa, she can get a job there too if you did, you've already got ties with an agency that's finding work relatively easier than TN is working out for employment. You wound up with the better job you were applying for thru that agency. If they are willing to work with you on it, you need to see it thru, because if it's not all that, it's better than nothing and you can still look for better as you are earning money.

As for HR orientation, they give you an employee handbook, the rest is pretty much standard for qualifying for benefits and what is expected out of a new employee. You can read it and attend the next one, even ask questions. You made it sound like this was a better position in your field, those are hard to come by, you scored it and that's a good thing. At one point in my life I had to pick up and leave an area that sucked, it was during the transition from Bush to Clinton when there was double digit unemployment, it wasn't easy, but you do what you have to do and tough it out. In a couple of years, you'll be glad you did. I have to think you were in dire straights for work in TN for a good while to even consider leaving in the first place and then to have done this and found success to the degree that you have, sandbagging yourself in TN is the wrong direction. Here's to new beginnings for you and your fiance in Tampa, FL and wherever else you may go after that !

12. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

I'm not even sure what DOD stands for.

Anyway, the whole reason I'm here is because it was my last option for a place to live without having to pay rent. Trying to get some of my debts paid off before the wedding next year. Even the cheapest apartments here would cut severely into my ability to do so. Short of trading in my car for a Volkswagen Bus, it's just not economically wise.

If my fiance could get a job that easily, this wouldn't even be an issue. Her epilepsy makes it extremely difficult for her to get employed by typical means. It's not at all legal for employers to reject her because of it, but as long as they have a list of generic excuses (i.e.: We decided to go in a different direction.) there's no hope of pinning it on anyone. We tried vocational rehab, but they take forever-and-a-week to get anything done, and the contact information given to us changed at literally every step of the process.

It actually wasn't anything economical that pushed us into moving down here. It was the fact that her father was the only immediate family member willing to share his house with both of us. Our choices were come down here (which was presented as a good idea) and live together or continue living in TN, but 30 miles apart.

If I needed to, I could most likely get my old job back. But again, there's the matter of coming up with the means to get there. Otherwise, I'm either gonna end up living in a van (perhaps down by the river, yes) or hoping that I can find a job that pays upwards of $16/hr. (St. Petersburg is hiring police officers right now at just over $16/hr, actually. If I can get back in shape, I should be able to pass it, provided I can slip through the vision test.)

As for the orientation at that job, it wasn't for an HR position. An HR representative was just overseeing the group orientation. I have until Friday morning to decide if I'm going to be able to stay here and to report back that I do want to get back in on next week's orientation. Turns out there is one, despite my having been originally told otherwise.

13. transformer_99

Gold Member

"ART Inspector, provided the agency didn't foul up again."

"Just inspecting circuit boards for flaws. Nothing exciting, but it'll put money in the bank and I'll finally have something to do with my days."

"Starting Monday, I'm going to be an ART Inspector, micro-inspecting circuit boards for everything from consumer electronics to aerospace and defense projects."

DOD = Department of Defense contractor. That would be the defense projects you were referring to. Aerospace, would that have anything to do with NASA (those are usually in Orlando and Cape Canaveral area, east Coast & Central FL) and the space program to even a sub-contract with still other DOD contractors such as Harris Corporation, Northrop-Grumman, Boeing, Pratt & Whitney, General Electric Company, McDonnell-Douglas, Ball, CAE, General Dynamics or any others that might do business with the US government ? You may not realize it, but you may have fallen into an industry that is virtually recession proof after 9/11/2001 ?

No, I wasn't implying it was an HR job, but that new employee orientations are administered by HR reps. Without a doubt stick with that job, experience lends itself to other DOD employers, you can make good contacts in that industry.

Why would you even remotely consider going back to TN. because of this:

Our choices were come down here (which was presented as a good idea) and live together or continue living in TN, but 30 miles apart.

You're 30 miles apart and unemployed ? Starting over in place that wasn't doing much of anything for you in the first place ? That old job ? that wasn't getting you out of debt. Is this one better paying ? Relocating isn't cheap, but you are this deep into it. There was a reason you left TN and if your fiance was going to relocate, she's going to have to get a job sooner or later. Right now you are 1/2 way into this, almost a point of no return, just as far to go back as moving forward on it ? Makes no sense to me at this point ?

14. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

The job up there could get me out of debt if I wasn't dealing with rent payments. Those combined with utilities and groceries and such were taking up half my income.

15. transformer_99

Gold Member

So if you go back, obvious you have eliminated one rent because you moved out of wherever you were living a month or so ago. Do you move in with the fiance, consolidating/sharing that rent ? Perhaps having to commute what I assume is the 30 miles to the old job you would try to get back ? At $ 4 or more a gallon, what does 60 miles commute cost you in terms of the vehicle you have.

Personally, I'm seriously considering finding a job that pays the same or better that is closer to where I live and cut out a 45 mile round trip commute myself the way fuel prices are going. I've got to do something more proactive to get out from under 1 hour of driving each way to go 22.5 miserable miles on a highway that shouldn't take more than a half hour for what neighborhood driving I have to do to get to that highway.

16. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

If I went back to TN, I'd be living with my parents. There's just the matter of whether they're willing to let my fiance live there as well. And either place that I live, I'd have the same commute to work with comparable gas prices.
    Of course, in the next couple of weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if gas prices spiked here, what with tourist season starting.

17. transformer_99

Gold Member

Well, that's a plan too, might even work just the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted