My grades this semester

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by surferboy, May 19, 2007.

1. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    i just wanted my friends here to know how well i did last semester! the numbers in brackets are how many credits the class is worth

MAT1033 (Intermediate Algebra) [3] - W; it was a once a week class. i withdrew because there wasn't enough repitition.

ENC1101 (English Composition 101) [3] - B; woulda been higher but i never had time to re-write the 2 essays i got Bs on

CGS1061 (Computer Concepts) [1] - F; i know, i know, not good. what happened was that i had to do a few projects, but the day i was going to the computer lab there was a bomb threat and the schoool was evacuated, so i couldn't even get on campus. i asked for a extra due to the circumstances, but the bitch said she wouldn't give me extra time. the good news is, i have three chances (well...now 2 for this class) to attempt a class, and they go with the new grade.

REL1101 (Introduction to World Religion) [3] - A; i was surprised to all hell about that one! like, no one could understand the professor because of his hella thick caribbean accent. plus, the book was way boring because the dude that wrote it would try to sound more intelligent than he was, but like, it was just awkward. and what pissed me off was how the dude that wrote the book (and, since it as like the bible for my professor, he also thought this...) made a huge mistake about hamlet; he said that hamlet's mom, queen gertrude was fully aware of the plot to kill the king, when in truth, she finds out at the end, before everyone dies. also, the dude that wrote the text (which was more a paperback novel looking book) said it was a religious play. yah, i had issues with that alleged text..

so yah, that was my grades for last semester. it was m first year of college! now like, i know it didn't seem like a lot of classes because it wasn't. but i hadn't been in school for 5 years, so i wanted to ease back in. now, this semester comin up, i'm goin full force. for my classes, i was thinkin of....

MAT1033 [3] (makin shure it's like, twice a week instead of one 3 hour class a week.

SPC1600 [3] - Introduction to Public Speaking

AMH2010 [3] - American History to 1965

PHI2010 [3] - Introduction to Philosophy

CGS1061 [1] - Computer Concepts, take two!

that sounds managable, yah?

2. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer New Member

Off to a good start. Keep at it and work on the weak subjects whenever you can!

3. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    my first semester i made all As and a B

oh, and in case you guys are wonderin about my major...i wanna be an english lit teacher for 12th grade

4. RICKY_27

RICKY_27 Well-Known Member

Albums:
    HEY NIXXY!

C O N G R A T S!!!
    Thanks for sharing the great news about your fine efforts at school. I am very PROUD of you!!!

It is NOT easy to go to school and work at the same time. I know coz I've been there, done that. You are to be commended for working hard to make your future a positive one. Best of luck in the years ahead.

RICKY_27

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Wow, Nix, nice start. I admire your goal - my 12th grade English Lit. teacher was an old maid. Hope you're more successful than she was.

6. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:

i fully plan on it! i'm just pissed at myself about the F i got. it was mostly my fault, but like, my professor could have given an extra day due to the circumstances...

7. B_Kshelby67

B_Kshelby67 New Member

Lesson in procrastionation perhaps? no excuses!!!

8. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:

yah, i know, and i'm deeply ashamed V_V

9. SteveHd

Gold Member

Which school?

A) FAU

B) FIU

C) UM

D) UF

E) None the above.

This is a bonus question. No points deducted if not answered!

10. atlas23

atlas23 Member

Albums:
    Good luck on your return to colege, just try to dedicate some extra time to it.

11. biguy2738

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well Done! Not only for your results, but for finding value in furthering your education. It isn't easy to go back into the studying regime, so the fact that you are sticking to it, setting goals for yourself and trying to achieve them, is an achievement in itself.

Wishing you all the best for next semester.

12. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wait...were you full time last semester?

You got an F, A, B, and W....that was like 10 hours. 12 hours is full time at my school.

Well...don't take this the wrong way cause I did pretty bad my first semester.

Coming out of High School I had a 4.2 GPA and 1280 SAT.

First semester?

Honors Chem (3) - C
    Honors Chem Lab (1) - B
    English 101 (3) - B
    Lab Animal Science Orientation (1) - A
    Intro to Animal Science (3) - B
    Honors Calc. (4) - B
    Beginning Badminton (1) - W

A mere 16 hours, but 7 classes...bad idea. Plus I took two honors courses when I was supposed to only be in one. I thought it was like High school..and I bombed. The next semester I had 6 courses and dropped half of them.

So don't fret...you've got time to do great things. I ended up graduating Magna Cum Laude. ^_^

13. smoothrnb

Gold Member

Albums:
    You have a good start. I sense that you understand where and how you need to improve, and that is half of the battle. College is a lot different than high school, and it takes a semester or so to really get into the swing of taking 4 or 5 classes while adjusting to new expectations from family, friends, and society. So, although not clearly your best effort, I believe you are prepared better for next academic year.

Don't be afraid to ask for help/advice. Although you don't fit the true definition of a non-traditional student (Since you are a little older than most first-year students), I would suggest you consult your school's non-traditional student advisor/office. They may have some helpful suggestions for you on time management, course selection, etc. Good luck!

14. NCbear

Gold Member

Sounds similar to me: 4.4 GPA, 1360 SAT, and valedictorian, on partial merit- and need-based scholarship to Wake Forest, and then my first semester hit me.

Yes, two As, one B, one C, and one D. Before then, I'd only seen one B in my life and never ANY Cs or Ds. Woke me right up.

Every semester after that I made the Dean's List (so I could keep my scholarship) and graduated cum laude.

NCbear (who earned better grades in graduate school)

P.S. And Nixxy, I was an English major planning to teach high school as well. Took one semester of student teaching for me to realize I'd much rather be a college professor who can say, "Get the hell out of my classroom!" And make it stick. (wink) Now, of course, I've gone beyond that career goal and am working in university grant administration, teaching faculty members how to write effectively. It's an even bigger challenge than teaching college-level composition classes. (double wink)

15. Principessa

Gold Member

16. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:

congratulations...keep up the good work

17. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    i'll respond tomorrow...err....later. i'm way tired now haha

18. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    already SO on it! i still have all my pojects on my jump drive thing. like, she knows i wasn't a bad student. i was one of the few who showed up every week. i got 100s on ALL of the tests she gave me. i ask for one more day due to a omb threat, and she disses me like that. i'm planning on taking her again so i won't have to do the work again.

yah, i'm fully aware. which is why i started off college the way i did. now that i know how to properly manage my time, i feel i'm ready for these kinds of classes.

also, this year around, i made a friend who's gonna take as many classes with me as possible (i'm an english teacher major and he's going into nursing school) so i know i'll have a partner in all of my math classes, and i think we're gonna have 1 or 2 science classes together

Draft saved Draft deleted