My House was Burglarized Yesterday

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They took a crowbar to the rear window and pried it open, broke the latch and climbed in. My CD/DVD collection and an air compressor were the main things taken. The scumbags helped themselves to the liquor cabinet while robbing the house. They rifled though my files and belongings looking for anything of value.

The stuff that was stolen can be replaced but it's just the feeling of being violated that gets to me. I feel like tenting the house and fumigating it now. Not a lot of stuff was in the house as it's being renovated and most of it is in storage but I'm still pissed. I feel like buying a gun.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh NO!!!
I am sorry to hear this. That would piss me off in a huge fashion. Like you said, the stuff can be replaced, but just the violation and the audacity of the scumbags that did it. Did you report it to the cops? Geez. That sucks. Sorry man.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Earl I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's such a feeling of total violation. I suspect you and your house were being watched to know when you would not be there. I would suggest an alarm system. It offers some security and you get a discount on your homeowners insurance. During difficult times crimes like this seem to always spike. I have a doorman, alarm, a dog and a gun and I don't always feel like I'm perfectly safe. If you get a gun make sure you know the laws on using it in your home.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh NO!!!
I am sorry to hear this. That would piss me off in a huge fashion. Like you said, the stuff can be replaced, but just the violation and the audacity of the scumbags that did it. Did you report it to the cops? Geez. That sucks. Sorry man.

Thanks Goodwood.

Earl I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's such a feeling of total violation. I suspect you and your house were being watched to know when you would not be there. I would suggest an alarm system. It offers some security and you get a discount on your homeowners insurance. During difficult times crimes like this seem to always spike. I have a doorman, alarm, a dog and a gun and I don't always feel like I'm perfectly safe. If you get a gun make sure you know the laws on using it in your home.

I do have an alarm. It was just off for the last month or so because of painters. I don't think it was an inside job. But the alarm will be on from now.

Sorry to hear that man. Know how violated you must feel having been in the same situation a couple of times.

Well, this isn't the first time I've been robbed but it still is disturbing. My car has been broken in more times than I can remember.

In this economic downturn there will be more desperate junkies breaking into people's homes. There's a awful feeling I get sometimes that chaos is just around the corner.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Tough break, man. I had some thieves break into my car a few years back and make off with the car stereo and ALL my music. It pissed me off, and still does. Sorry to hear about it.

Thanks Hick.

And yeah, Goodwood, I did report it to the cops but I don't have much faith that they will catch anyone. I figure I should go to the local flea markets this weekend and see if the thief is selling my stuff.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks Hick.

And yeah, Goodwood, I did report it to the cops but I don't have much faith that they will catch anyone. I figure I should go to the local flea markets this weekend and see if the thief is selling my stuff.

Check Pawnbrokers also! If it's there you actually stand a chance of catching the thief and convicting him/her!

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That soooooooooooo sux Earl. I hope it wasn't someone you've met before. An air conditioner is a large item and would no doubt require 2 people to steal it w/not much resale value. Perhaps they needed one and new you had one. Again sorry for your probs. I know I'd feel real weird for awhile in my place if that happened.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry to hear that, Earl. Nothing is more frustrating...worst part is you don't even know who to be mad at...

Happened to me as well, and even more frustrating the police didn't seem to give two shits about the whole thing; or even follow up on anything. A neighbor got a license plate and car description as the f*cker drove away, they tracked him down, but his alibi checked out [he was working and his boss confirmed it] so they just ended it with that. Surely his boss was a 'buddy' or something.

Anyway, I understand the feeling and it sucks. Surely, it could have been worse.

bicuriousbc

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
They took a crowbar to the rear window and pried it open, broke the latch and climbed in. My CD/DVD collection and an air compressor were the main things taken. The scumbags helped themselves to the liquor cabinet while robbing the house. They rifled though my files and belongings looking for anything of value.

The stuff that was stolen can be replaced but it's just the feeling of being violated that gets to me. I feel like tenting the house and fumigating it now. Not a lot of stuff was in the house as it's being renovated and most of it is in storage but I'm still pissed. I feel like buying a gun.

Sorry to hear about that.
Sounds like they have been busy in our neighborhood last night too.
Several breakins within 1000 ft of us.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Check Pawnbrokers also! If it's there you actually stand a chance of catching the thief and convicting him/her!

The problem with catching the person selling stuff at the pawn shop is that when you track the guy down he just says "Oh I got this shit from a guy on the street who was giving it away." There is no evidence that he in fact stole anything.

Sorry to hear this......have an alarm installed get a dog if possible and get a gun

I got a dog but I'd be the one protecting him if a burglar broke in the house in the middle of the night.

That soooooooooooo sux Earl. I hope it wasn't someone you've met before. An air conditioner is a large item and would no doubt require 2 people to steal it w/not much resale value. Perhaps they needed one and new you had one. Again sorry for your probs. I know I'd feel real weird for awhile in my place if that happened.

I hope it's not someone I know. Yeah, that would suck big time. They actually stole an air compressor that one of the contractor's left in the garage. That's how I found out about this whole mess this morning.

Sorry to hear that, Earl. Nothing is more frustrating...worst part is you don't even know who to be mad at...

Happened to me as well, and even more frustrating the police didn't seem to give two shits about the whole thing; or even follow up on anything. A neighbor got a license plate and car description as the f*cker drove away, they tracked him down, but his alibi checked out [he was working and his boss confirmed it] so they just ended it with that. Surely his boss was a 'buddy' or something.

Anyway, I understand the feeling and it sucks. Surely, it could have been worse.

Yup, the cops are pretty much worthless for solving robberies. They were even reluctant to take prints let alone come out to the house. They are probably so jaded that nothing really matters much anymore.

Sorry to hear about that.
Sounds like they have been busy in our neighborhood last night too.
Several breakins within 1000 ft of us.

I don't know of any robberies in the neighborhood since I've lived here. I'm going to go out tonight to all the neighbors and see if they saw anything, and just warn them to keep and eye out.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Earl, that's terrible!!! The feeling of violation must be dreadful.

I have been feeling like I should buy a gun lately too. Things have gotten crazy lately here in the Bay Area. I kind of feel like I should prepare, just in case. (I was a boyscout, after all.)

I love target practice. If you're serious about getting a gun, my colleague and I were talking about doing this today and maybe we can all go to the shooting range together...

Anyway, take care of yourself.

Take advantage of your county's victim services program. It's a life saver. It's a program required by the State of California. They'll even pay for psychotherapy/counseling for you to help you through this emotionally. Most people don't know about this program and it is under-utilized.

Sending positive thoughts your way...

Simcha

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sorry to hear about the burglary, earl. Same happened to me a few years back under similar circumstances. I have a pretty good idea who it was but couldn't pin it.

The police at least acted sympathetic and dusted for prints at the point of entry. Nothing ever came of it to my knowledge.

Oh, and the burglars took my gun.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sorry to hear about the burglary, earl. Same happened to me a few years back under similar circumstances. I have a pretty good idea who it was but couldn't pin it.

The police at least acted sympathetic and dusted for prints at the point of entry. Nothing ever came of it to my knowledge.

Oh, and the burglars took my gun.

That's why you get a gun locker. :biggrin1:

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hope it's not someone I know. Yeah, that would suck big time. They actually stole an air compressor that one of the contractor's left in the garage. That's how I found out about this whole mess this morning.

As a child of a cop those sound like very odd items to steal unless you knew you could sell them to someone at a profit to someone who really needed them.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As a child of a cop those sound like very odd items to steal unless you knew you could sell them to someone at a profit to someone who really needed them.

That's why I thought it was an inside job in the first place because the contractors would have known his coming and going times! Hope the police got prints!

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Earlogjam-o-rama:

Getting burgled is not pleasant. At least you did not find a fresh pile of crap on your dining room table or coffee table. Something that tends to happen with more frequency than we'd like to know about is that burglars often leave you "a little gift" somewhere obvious as sort of a monument to their breaking and entering.

Good luck. Hope it doesn't happen again.