My last paycheck from New Orleans

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
After a month of contacting my previous employer I finally got ahold of her yesterday.

I left her a voice message telling her if she didnt contact me by noon on friday I was going to call the Louisiana department of labor and report her for withholding my check. I got a phone call not 30 minutes later. She said that I didn't hafta threaten her and that she check is in the mail.

Problem is I left her 30 voice messages and she didnt respond until I said I'd get the govt. involved... So obviously I did hafta threaten her.

Anyone with some similar experiences?

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
Sorta ... while working for a company (in New Orleans, coincidentally) I had to contact the state attorney general to "remind" my employer that, legally, moving expenses and bonuses I was promised were the same as salary, and not paying me exposed them to a lawsuit. I got my money pretty quickly after much foot-dragging.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Keep the Dept. of Labor on the ready, just because she said she's sent the check, doesn't make it so.

I agree, not to mention she might try to skimp on the paycheck and underpay me. Hopefully she wont fuck around.

Though if she does I'll bring a lawsuit against her. I mean, thats a lot of trouble for her trying to keep a 900 dollar paycheck for christs sake.

BTW, you don't need to have worked in New Orleans for this to apply.

pleasureboy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As much as I love my home, I have to admit that NOLA employers and landlords are among the worst in the world when it comes to stuff like this.

I actually had an employer cheat me out of $30k in commissions in New Orleans. Sadly my commission was only 13% of the total commission which means I had already made them a couple of hundred grand off the deal. Let me say, being a student at the time and suddenly losing thirty grand was pretty much total suck!

dannyrankin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Definitely not doing any kind of labor next time I go to NOLA... Not that I would have anyway. Too busy eatin' scrimps sandwiches, drinking too much, and trying to understand what the fuck the natives are saying.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm a former employment & HR manager. have told a lot of people to contact the state Labor Commissioner. BTW, in California the employer must have the final paycheck ready on the last day (if the employee gave at least 72 hours notice). the penalties for a late check are drastic. that's good.