My long and awkward story of failing to belong. advice?

itscomplex

Cherished Member
Media
I have an account on here, yet I prefer to keep my anonymity. I'm not sure what to do tbh, so if anyone could give me advice, I'd be really happy.
I was born with CP so basically I can't walk by myself. As a kid I could crawl and sit on the floor etc. perfectly fine. I loved playing in parks and riding a bike. My love for reading started back then. I had friends, mostly girls and we played role-playing games I guess. For obvious reasons, I couldn't play soccer/ climb trees etc. I had the typical boyish toy guns etc. My life felt normal because somehow other kids were willing to bend the rules/ find ways to make me feel like I belong even though I couldn't move around as actively as them.
All seemed well. Until... My parents tried to get me to go to kindergarten. No one was willing to enroll me, given I'm disabled. I still played with my friends so not that much caring on my part.
I eventually had to at least try going to school. Before that my parents decided that a surgery could help me get more mobile. It failed miserably and now I can't sit properly, bend my legs etc. Growing, my spine bent and several of my joints got awkward because of the plaster cast misalignment. Back to school talk. Again, people tried rejecting me based on my disability and my grandmother had to use some old connections (I was told of all that years later) in order to give me some chance in life. I loved studying. But thatst when hell started. The ‘pupular kids’ would always bully me. I had a small nerdy circle of really close friends and again... I thought that there's always a chance things go well further down the road.
Highschool came and it got worse. Much worse. The bullies started ‘accidentally’ finding ways to physically hurt me. I eventually got weird. Again, a small nerdy circle of friends. I believed that at uni, where I'd set on studying Japanese, I'd meet other nerds and eventually make proper friends, or even find a girlfriend. HS is HS, so all my friends started dating. I had several crushes. Tried inviting the girl I liked out, but I got rejected. This became a thing. Me being rejected. I didn't lose hope at first, but it eventually started eating at me from the inside. I thought that maybe something is wrong with me.
I started crushing on guys, too. They happened to be straight, so nothing there. Eventually, a friend of mine and I experimented with each other and I discovered that I'm basically bi. Sex, however ruined our friendship.
University came. I had hoped I'd fit in better amongst people who share a passion. And again, groups formed around popular people, or gamers, anime nerds etc. I wasn't even allowed to watch much TV as a kid, so I was the odd one out again.
Right before I started my final year, I finally found a girl whom I liked and she seemed willing to give me a chance, even if I was three years her senior and disabled. The last part bugs me because ever since I was little I believed I'd grow to be sporty, buff and thus achieve my understanding of being a good, strong man, both on the outside and on the inside. I got offered rehabilitation which is a physical exercise, but it does not help you achieve better ‘vision’ and that seems to be important. My good-looking friends are enjoying their youth partying, dating, having one night stands, traveling, mountain climbing etc. I rot at home and study. The girl I mentioned dumped me because she needed ‘adventure’. I lost hope. My body started hurting because if all the things that are wrongly rotated etc. I cannot do proper exercise like that. Just turned 25 and I realised Im never going to experience normal teenage stuff...
Almost no one is willing to socialize with me. I basically feel awful, because I cannot be the man I want to be. I don't have the money to try one final crazy surgery (I did 4 more as a teen to try and improve something, they didn't fail at least). And I have an awesome chance at studying my Master's in Japan, but my body is getting worse. If my post-surgical rehabilitation happens to take years, I may not be able to go to Japan. I live in Bulgaria (Eastern Europe), but it's an awful place to happen to be disabled in. No care whatsoever offered by the state apart from awkward things such as free train passes. Trains are old, so basically inaccessible. Given my legs, I can't take care of myself.
My friends meet, do sports together etc. I just like their pics on Facebook...
People tend to discriminate around here. I never had a school trip because I was disabled, for example.
No idea what to do. I want to study in Japan. But I want the mobility I had as a kid back, too. It'd allow me try more stuff and feel better about myself. Maybe even try a disability sports club or something.
In case you're wondering why I want to study in Japan, I was there for a bit as part of my Bachelor's degree course and I loved everything. I want to learn more about the culture, the people and their way of life, values etc. There I learned disability sports was even a thing and this gave me some hope.
But Bulgaria just pretends disabled people don't exist. Nobody cares.
Thank you for the patience. If you have any advice, I'm all ears.

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sometimes life presents you with an opportunity to take a leap of faith. You won't know unless you try, and since you've been there before, you have an idea of what life might be like. Weigh the options, good, and bad, and figure out how you can adapt to either one. Sometimes it's better to try and fail, than to spend your life wondering "what if?"

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The disabled have to eventually come to grips with the fact that they will never have the lives that normally able people get to have.
That might seem like a hard pill to swallow- but all you are focusing on is the things you can't have that appear to be wonderful to you, because you're not in them.

For example- it may seem to you that the popular kids have all the fun... but trust me, if you were physically normal, and a member of that group... it is its own special hell of cliqueish backbiting, cruelty and bullying.

The Nerds with whom you can not socialize are bullied by the jocks with whom you can not socialize, and can only fantasize about the cheerleaders who they all chase and who will never go with you, despite those cheerleaders' innate narcissism and meanness.

What I am saying is that you may be missing all the stuff that you see from the outside as being great- but that the hell you personally have gone thru is only Physically easier for them... the psychological trauma is even MORE intense for those who Can play those games. To wit: its not the disabled kids who are committing suicide over tweets.

You are 25- you have a chance to study in Japan- which will get you out of the rut your life currently is in.
At 25, your body is pretty well mature- the surgery ( which may offer no significant benefit ) can Wait. You can still have the surgery. later. Or, who knows- your life in Japan could lead to a career in japan... and maybe even better surgical opportunities there.

Go pursue something that makes you look forward to each day.

Accept that you will never be the bronzed adonis at the gym, and try to be excited and happy to live the more intellectual life for which you are perfectly well suited.
Stephen Hawking lived a wonderful life full of accomplishment and joy... despite the worst imaginable disability.

You likely will not be another Stephen hawking, but then, you do not face the same challenges that he did.

As you get older- as you re-locate to places and environments that are more focused on mental abilities, and less on appearance- ( higher education ) you will meet other people who live more in their mind than in their body... they will welcome you and they will be Your People.

Those popular kids? For the most part they go on to live self indulgent and shallow lives, and look back on high school as the High point of their lives.

For You... the cool part of Your life is only just beginning.

Last edited:

RJ5on1

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don't know what to say either, my heart is breaking for you. Have you reached out to communities of people with disabilities online?
I agree with Flooble… my heart is breaking for you as well, and also encourage you to reach out to communities of people with disabilities online. It’s amazing the support you will receive socializing online. Trust me, there are others in you situation starving for your association!

As you have been here, be honest, open-minded and be willing to accept your own circumstances. Always try to focus “first” on what you can do… before even thinking of what you are unable to do. What you are unable to do won’t go away, so always try to let that be your “second” thought!

Search for, and seriously, actively involve yourself in a few of those communities. You will quickly realize just how much help they are to you!

Don’t believe me?

Well, just look how we have reacted to your reaching out to us!

The same will be true when reaching out to the communities you find online!

Please come back from time to time and let us know how you’re doing!

itscomplex

Cherished Member
Media
Guys, I don't usually cry, but... Thank you! My eyes tear up. Thank you for the kind support. Sports seems to be a big thing for me because I can't seem to relate to my own masculinity – that's why I often fall for guys. And why I avoid acting on that. I know I'm trying to feel ok in my body, being physically accepted by a buff guy for example. But since I cannot love a man more than as a best friend with benefits... I run away. Because I want to be THE man I love. Today, the Section Head of Japanology literally invited me to do my Master's thesis here, become a PhD eventually, and leave for Japan as a formed scholar. This would mean I'd be able to achieve my childhood dream of becoming a researcher, but would get me stuck here for at least 3 more years.

Auggiecakes

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have an account on here, yet I prefer to keep my anonymity. I'm not sure what to do tbh, so if anyone could give me advice, I'd be really happy.
I was born with CP so basically I can't walk by myself. As a kid I could crawl and sit on the floor etc. perfectly fine. I loved playing in parks and riding a bike. My love for reading started back then. I had friends, mostly girls and we played role-playing games I guess. For obvious reasons, I couldn't play soccer/ climb trees etc. I had the typical boyish toy guns etc. My life felt normal because somehow other kids were willing to bend the rules/ find ways to make me feel like I belong even though I couldn't move around as actively as them.
All seemed well. Until... My parents tried to get me to go to kindergarten. No one was willing to enroll me, given I'm disabled. I still played with my friends so not that much caring on my part.
I eventually had to at least try going to school. Before that my parents decided that a surgery could help me get more mobile. It failed miserably and now I can't sit properly, bend my legs etc. Growing, my spine bent and several of my joints got awkward because of the plaster cast misalignment. Back to school talk. Again, people tried rejecting me based on my disability and my grandmother had to use some old connections (I was told of all that years later) in order to give me some chance in life. I loved studying. But thatst when hell started. The ‘pupular kids’ would always bully me. I had a small nerdy circle of really close friends and again... I thought that there's always a chance things go well further down the road.
Highschool came and it got worse. Much worse. The bullies started ‘accidentally’ finding ways to physically hurt me. I eventually got weird. Again, a small nerdy circle of friends. I believed that at uni, where I'd set on studying Japanese, I'd meet other nerds and eventually make proper friends, or even find a girlfriend. HS is HS, so all my friends started dating. I had several crushes. Tried inviting the girl I liked out, but I got rejected. This became a thing. Me being rejected. I didn't lose hope at first, but it eventually started eating at me from the inside. I thought that maybe something is wrong with me.
I started crushing on guys, too. They happened to be straight, so nothing there. Eventually, a friend of mine and I experimented with each other and I discovered that I'm basically bi. Sex, however ruined our friendship.
University came. I had hoped I'd fit in better amongst people who share a passion. And again, groups formed around popular people, or gamers, anime nerds etc. I wasn't even allowed to watch much TV as a kid, so I was the odd one out again.
Right before I started my final year, I finally found a girl whom I liked and she seemed willing to give me a chance, even if I was three years her senior and disabled. The last part bugs me because ever since I was little I believed I'd grow to be sporty, buff and thus achieve my understanding of being a good, strong man, both on the outside and on the inside. I got offered rehabilitation which is a physical exercise, but it does not help you achieve better ‘vision’ and that seems to be important. My good-looking friends are enjoying their youth partying, dating, having one night stands, traveling, mountain climbing etc. I rot at home and study. The girl I mentioned dumped me because she needed ‘adventure’. I lost hope. My body started hurting because if all the things that are wrongly rotated etc. I cannot do proper exercise like that. Just turned 25 and I realised Im never going to experience normal teenage stuff...
Almost no one is willing to socialize with me. I basically feel awful, because I cannot be the man I want to be. I don't have the money to try one final crazy surgery (I did 4 more as a teen to try and improve something, they didn't fail at least). And I have an awesome chance at studying my Master's in Japan, but my body is getting worse. If my post-surgical rehabilitation happens to take years, I may not be able to go to Japan. I live in Bulgaria (Eastern Europe), but it's an awful place to happen to be disabled in. No care whatsoever offered by the state apart from awkward things such as free train passes. Trains are old, so basically inaccessible. Given my legs, I can't take care of myself.
People tend to discriminate around here. I never had a school trip because I was disabled, for example.
No idea what to do. I want to study in Japan. But I want the mobility I had as a kid back, too. It'd allow me try more stuff and feel better about myself. Maybe even try a disability sports club or something.
In case you're wondering why I want to study in Japan, I was there for a bit as part of my Bachelor's degree course and I loved everything. I want to learn more about the culture, the people and their way of life, values etc. There I learned disability sports was even a thing and this gave me some hope.

There is something here that is reoccurring... Japan. You have a possibility to go there for your masters? Then push for it. You know you need to leave Bulgaria. So do everything you can to make it happen and forget Facebook. Honestly I did and never looked back. As someone who has had and sometimes still a hard time fitting in, I know that you need to be in a place we’re youll feel comfortable and it seems like a Japan is the place. Maybe apply for a visa? Make the move permanent. I don’t know too much about Japan other than it pretty progressive. I hope you find the peace you seek.

ohiorod

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Guys, I don't usually cry, but... Thank you! My eyes tear up. Thank you for the kind support. Sports seems to be a big thing for me because I can't seem to relate to my own masculinity – that's why I often fall for guys. And why I avoid acting on that. I know I'm trying to feel ok in my body, being physically accepted by a buff guy for example. But since I cannot love a man more than as a best friend with benefits... I run away. Because I want to be THE man I love. Today, the Section Head of Japanology literally invited me to do my Master's thesis here, become a PhD eventually, and leave for Japan as a formed scholar. This would mean I'd be able to achieve my childhood dream of becoming a researcher, but would get me stuck here for at least 3 more years.

I hope that you will find the courage and peace to choose what will produce a visible smile on your face and joy and contentment in your heart. I wish you the very best in all you do . Let your star shine !

learlinva

Cherished Member
Media
Manila (National Capital Region, Philippines)
Sexuality
No Response
Peace be with you, bro. You have an exciting life ahead of you in East Asia or anywhere who loved Japan or anything Japanese. You will be amazed how Japan influenced people's lives throughout the continent. I am from the Philippines and I adored the Japanese polarizing culture of less and more. I loved the articulation of their sub-cultures and traditions, their long-line succession of artisanal craftmanship, business and products. Anime and Japanese pop had been an influence since my childhood watching Sailor Moon, Magic Knights, Gundam, Vision of Escaflowne, Ranma 1/2, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, and Sword Art Online. Studio Ghibli is a direct contributing factor of my love for nostalgia, layers of meanings and questions of existence and the political, cultural and relational landscapes. I hope you will find your joy fulfilling you Masters and Doctorate degrees because a unique opportunity for a student from Bulgaria (I can only imagine, or I may be wrong). Worrying and having anxieties are normal, they make us human but courage and passion make us unstoppable.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My heart breaks for you as well. To be so intelligent and trapped in a body that doesn’t allow you the freedom you crave - that would be an unbelievable barrier to overcome. But it can be overcome. You are intelligent. You have a heart. Certainly there are more people out there who are attracted to the physical being before the mental, but there are also many who are attracted to the intellect and the heart. They care little for the packaging. All they care about is you, your interests. Sexual pleasure can be found with them because they love for who you are.

You can get out of Bulgaria. You can find happiness. Don’t measure yourself against people who don’t matter. You are out-of-the-box. Measure yourself against what you did yesterday. Be a better man than you were yesterday. Read about others with CP who have been successful. There are people who have significant others, careers, adventures, friends. They just never gave up on themselves. Don’t give up on you.

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
You've made it this far. Just be the best *you* that you can. Life dumps shit on everyone. You got a big extra helping but you've got people who are helping. Get that doctorate....holy shit, you can be a doctor. People always say "follow your dream". They are right.

Japan awaits. Please keep us posted, and if ever you need support, we're here.

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Many see people with disabilities as asexual babies. I don't know of any sex positive organizations for people with disabilities, but I betcha someone on here does. The challenge is to avoid groups that fetishize disability. The last thing you need is to be treated like an object to fulfill some else's fetish (unless you're into that).

Pursuing your PhD while remaining in Bulgaria may be something to consider. Japan is apparently a fascinating place, but it's also insanely expensive, and unless you're independently wealthy it may not be within your means to move there as a student.

Twenty-five is an interesting age. You're a full grown person but still youthful enough to pursue your passions. Yes, your body is unique; use that as a way to be remembered for your personality. Once you fall into a romantic relationship, your mobility won't be as much as issue.

Best wishes and please let us know how you're doing.

amazzzed2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Thank you, and congratulations for your courage to share this with us! Continue to be courageous and create a meaningful life for yourself!

itscomplex

Cherished Member
Media
Many see people with disabilities as asexual babies. I don't know of any sex positive organizations for people with disabilities, but I betcha someone on here does. The challenge is to avoid groups that fetishize disability. The last thing you need is to be treated like an object to fulfill some else's fetish (unless you're into that).

Pursuing your PhD while remaining in Bulgaria may be something to consider. Japan is apparently a fascinating place, but it's also insanely expensive, and unless you're independently wealthy it may not be within your means to move there as a student.

Twenty-five is an interesting age. You're a full grown person but still youthful enough to pursue your passions. Yes, your body is unique; use that as a way to be remembered for your personality. Once you fall into a romantic relationship, your mobility won't be as much as issue.

Best wishes and please let us know how you're doing.
I took a job in order to earn some money and have a few thoughts to share. I still have no-idea if sex-positive non-fetishizing organizations exist but they should. Also, rehabilitation needs to be reimagined. The whole concept is lacking imho when it comes to disabled people – it somehow needs the “coolness” factor sports has. Overall, I don't want to sound like a SJW but societies need to adapt. I, for one don't want to be seen as an asexual adult baby and/ or mentally challenged for the rest of my life. People around me mentioned natural selection and hinted that it's better if I don't procreate – given all the generations passed and the past attitudes if this exclusion truly worked, I wouldn't have gotten this body in the first place. That's just some things I wanted to share.
I'm unsure if I'll pursue my degrees further, sadly.
I want to become a Buddhist monk in Japan and try to find meaning in devoting myself to others. I cannot bear the weight rejection and the cruel thinking of ‘If you tried harder...’ put on me. I no longer believe true love exists in the way we romanticise it to.
My body continues to fail in unique ways and honestly, if I could turn into another living being, even if I had to be a tiny fly or something, I gladly would, if that'd mean I'd be a healthy fly that can live it's simple fly life. But here I'm stuck and others are causing me to feel alien to all that human life is supposed to be about. Especially when you're 25. In their eyes, that's the way things are and since this does them no harm, it'll probably stay that way.
I look forward to my imminent death, even if it be years away, holding some hope I'd get a chance to reincarnate as a healthy person of an able body. And even if death is the ultimate end, I'd at least end my continuous painful struggle.
Let's hope there's at least some way for me to be s Buddhist monk. Other than that, everything I can do, every penny I earn has 0 effect on my happiness, even if I buy myself the coolest things.

Reactions: amazzzed2

amazzzed2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I took a job in order to earn some money and have a few thoughts to share. I still have no-idea if sex-positive non-fetishizing organizations exist but they should. Also, rehabilitation needs to be reimagined. The whole concept is lacking imho when it comes to disabled people – it somehow needs the “coolness” factor sports has. Overall, I don't want to sound like a SJW but societies need to adapt. I, for one don't want to be seen as an asexual adult baby and/ or mentally challenged for the rest of my life. People around me mentioned natural selection and hinted that it's better if I don't procreate – given all the generations passed and the past attitudes if this exclusion truly worked, I wouldn't have gotten this body in the first place. That's just some things I wanted to share.
I want to become a Buddhist monk in Japan and try to find meaning in devoting myself to others. I cannot bear the weight rejection and the cruel thinking of ‘If you tried harder...’ put on me. I no longer believe true love exists in the way we romanticise it to.
My body continues to fail in unique ways and honestly, if I could turn into another living being, even if I had to be a tiny fly or something, I gladly would, if that'd mean I'd be a healthy fly that can live it's simple fly life. But here I'm stuck and others are causing me to feel alien to all that human life is supposed to be about. Especially when you're 25. In their eyes, that's the way things are and since this does them no harm, it'll probably stay that way.
I look forward to my imminent death, even if it be years away, holding some hope I'd get a chance to reincarnate as a healthy person of an able body. And even if death is the ultimate end, I'd at least end my continuous painful struggle.
Let's hope there's at least some way for me to be s Buddhist monk. Other than that, everything I can do, every penny I earn has 0 effect on my happiness, even if I buy myself the coolest things.

You are smart, open and insightful. I appreciate that you are on this forum.
I had a grandson with severe CP, and I also have a friend with it, so I understand your serious challenges. Continue learning to accept yourself, and be good to yourself.
I believe that we can all find happiness in spite of our circumstances.

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Your body may be defective and failing, but your mind is definitely solid. Consider what Dr. Stephen Hawking accomplished with a body that failed slowly but completely over his lifetime. You can find love...more accurately, it will find you. You can be fulfilled and happy. This isn't easy for anyone, because it's far more about chance and circumstance and such random nonsense.

It's not what you are, but who you are. Hang tough.