My Nightmare Move From NJ to GA

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

My Move Was a Nightmare From Beginning to End!

It was my fault, I didn't pack properly which means unpacking will be a huge challenge. When I booked the movers last Friday, I got a quote for a 1BR/BA apt. because that's what I was living in. I forgot just how much stuff I own, consequently when they arrived Tuesday morning I was less than half way done. So the movers did the bulk of my packing. Had my apartment been clean and organized this would not have been a problem. Unfortunately, due to my depression, poor health, and a modicum of laziness my apartment was a Collyer Bros. nightmare.

The $800 + 10% for gas estimate which I had been given was for a 1BR/1BA, 2,000 pound move. I thought that was fair. Unfortunately, when moving day came I had what the head mover said was closer to 7,000 pounds of stuff at 60 cents a pound. He decided to cut me a break and charge me a flat $5,000 for the move. This included the fees for using their boxes, tape, and bubble wrap for breakables. The movers packed a total of 116 boxes including furniture.

They arrived about 9:45 AM Tuesday and left about 2:00 PM. I left so much stuff I would really liked to have kept; but I just couldn't afford to pay more for the move. Actually since my mom was kind enough to pay for the movers, I just didn't feel right having her pay all that money to tote my stuff across the country.

My friend Chuck drove me to the Philadelphia airport. I had plenty of time to check in for my 6:06 PM flight. Due to the thunderstorms my Delta flight was delayed 3 times before 9:00 PM, around 10:00 PM they finally cancelled the flight and I had to re-book for the next morning.

Fortunately, my buddy Chuck was able to pick me up and I crashed at his place Tuesday night. Wednesday morning he took me back to the airport. My 9:56 AM flight was also delayed and we left around 11:00 AM and landed at Atlanta Hartsfield Airport at 1:15 PM. (I like the Atlanta airport because it's like a small mall, so much food and decent shopping at various price points.)

My mom misunderstood what I said Tuesday night so they weren't there when I arrived. For some reason she thought I was going to call her before I got on the plane in Philly. I didn't call before I left because my cell had completely gone dead. So when I called at baggage claim they were puttering around the house. My mom was just getting out of the shower. It was about 3:00 PM before they picked me up. Mind you I had been up since 6:00 AM and by now was ready for a serious nap. Then my mom had a number of errands to run, so we didn't make it home until about 7:00 PM. I put together moms new computer, we had dinner, watched a bit of tv, and I was in bed and asleep by 11:00 PM.

The next day I was up by 7:00 AM to see my parents off. They went on a 3-day bus trip to Savannah, GA with their Senior Center. They got back late Saturday night. I have done mostly nothing except sleep, eat, and watch tv.

For some reason my parents (Dad in particular) don't think I should be driving...at all. WTF?!? At least in NJ I was walking distance to a bus stop! There is no bus stop out here, nor is there a train. I sort of understand their reasoning. The Meniere's gives me sporadic bouts of vertigo and I am also narcoleptic; that however is controlled with medication. So now I feel like a prisoner in a gilded cage.

Worse I don’t have my stuff so I feel a bit out of sorts. My darling daddy was kind enough to rent me a 10'x10' storage unit and now I am somewhat worried that won't be enough.

I am using my moms new pc which has Vista so I can't get into chat until next week, when my computer arrives.

2. Mulebear

Mulebear Member

Albums:
    Welcome to Georgia. I hope things get better.

3. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Moves, especially moves during poor health, are among the most stressful events of modern life. Here's hoping you quickly get settled and stable, njqt.

4. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I hear ya! Back in 2001 I had to move while I had the flu! I was only moving a mile away from my old place, but that was bad enough. I can't even imagine moving to another state during poor health. I moved from Indiana to Texas last year but I was in good health when I did so - even with that it was a very stressful situation and a real pain! I'm afraid now that I will have to move back to Indiana, as I no longer have a job here. I hope I can stay in Texas though - I like it better here.

5. Blocko

Blocko Member

Hope things turn good soon NJ. You know so many people around here wish you well. :smile:

6. agnslz

Gold Member

I hope you'll get settled in and feeling more at ease in your new surroundings soon, NJQT. Moves are always a stressful thing, add to that all you've been through lately and I just couldn't imagine how much harder this has been for you. Just know that all of us here are wishing you well and hoping that things go better for you soon!:smile:

7. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Oh, forgot to add - I like the Atlanta airport too. I had a layover there when I was flying from San Antonio to Indianapolis and back over the holidays. Good place to people-watch - plus I bought some REALLY last-minute gifts for two of my friends at one of the airport shops.

8. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Let me add to the wishes and concern that you get well rested and grounded, and recover from these massive changes. You have been through so much in a short space of time! It can be a seismic shock. Be strong, and patient with yourself and with those you love. Rest will do you well, and I do hope you can make some new social connections and get revitalized and well established in Georgia. It won't be a cakewalk, but we know you are up to it.

I see you have beautiful ripe Georgia peaches in your avvy. I hope your good fortune takes root, grows and is nurtured as you rebuild your life with grace and reap the fullest bounty in that warm Georgia sunshine.

All the best to you!

9. biguy2738

Gold Member

Albums:
    * Leans over and give njqt466 a big hug *

I hope that you don't take offence - I don't know what you smoke...but can I please have some? In all of your posts, the thing that strikes me even more than the information in them, is your bubbly personality and spirit...regardless of the circumstances. Is it your style of writing or the emotion with which you write? Though you mention your difficulties, there is never an air of "I feel sorry for myself, pity me".

You are an amazing woman! Though I offer you my support and remind you of my thoughts and good wishes, I always so from a place where I know, REALLY know that you will be okay. You amaze me, you wonderful, beautiful lady...and I call you lady as a sign of the respect that I have for you!

10. Principessa

Gold Member

Thank You! That means a lot to me. I know I am in a not great place now; but I also know I will survive this and thrive in the future. One of my best character traits is my ability to make lemonade from lemons. My friends are often amazed at my ability to bounce back from things that would paralyze most people.

11. biguy2738

Gold Member

Albums:
    QT, we need to hang out together - why make lemonade, when you can rather have margeritas? :smile:

Be assured of my support, if you're ever looking for some cheering up (or a bit of insanity....:eek: ), you know where to start looking...

Shock therapy, straight ahead...last door to the left! :biggrin1:

12. Principessa

Gold Member

ROTFLMAO

13. wildman1376

wildman1376 New Member

Albums:
    where in georgia are you?

14. hockeycock

hockeycock New Member

I hate feeling trapped. Do you at least have a good book to read?

A leopard went around his cage
    From one side back to the other side.
    He stopped only when
    The keeper came around with meat.
    A boy who had been there three hours
    Began to wonder: is life
    Anything like that?

15. NCbear

Gold Member

I hope things are going better for you, NJQT.

NCbear (who thinks narcolepsy isn't a joke)

16. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Moving sucks... moving an entire family sucks even more. Good luck.

17. Principessa

Gold Member

Now that I have accepted the fact that until my stuff gets here I will feel somewhat like I am camping I am fine. :redface:

18. lemont77

lemont77 Member

Albums:

19. whatireallywant

Gold Member

That sounds like a nightmare in and of itself! Yikes!

20. earllogjam

Gold Member

Do you ever feel you are a prisoner of your stuff? Like it has its own life and demands. That's how I always feel when I move. Where did all this shit come from? Packing always starts off with the best of intentions but ends up being a frantic fiasco and I end up having one big pile for the Salvation Army. Good thing they come to pick up.

Sorry to hear your move didn't go well NJQT. When it rains it pours but it always is exciting starting a new life in a new place. Hope you make your new place a home. Positive energy your way!

Draft saved Draft deleted