My "other" hobby.... (don't look if you don't like 3D Computer art or Trains!)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by WessexEN, Nov 2, 2006.

1. WessexEN

WessexEN New Member

If you look out of the window of a passing train,
    Hmm, I have been wondering whether to show off about this or not, but since I am on post 38, and you all got to know me by now. If you are interested in 3D modelling, trains, or both, then this thread might intrest you. The train models are often made by me, the scenery objects and tracks aren't. (unless its a rendering shot! :) ).
    I even go as far as desiging my own stock.

Most however, is modeled on a prototype, mainly at the request of many others. Heres some real life examples:
    [​IMG]
    Class 150 (80% finished) with a Class 141 railbus to the left (89% finished, I can't do any better as I lack a lot prototypical research) taken underneath a Class 305 EMU (bogie and underframe visible)

[​IMG]
    This is the side of the Class 150, its a fictional repaint, most of the skin is done by me, except the Northern Spirit lettering (yet to do!)
    [​IMG]
    Here is a close up of the Class 141, again in another fictional livery, the numbered areas on the underframe, is for texturing when I do get some mor photos of that area. (oh, one person told me, that if I ever painted my model in that livery (Load Haul), the life of my balls would be very limited! :eek: )
    [​IMG]
    And here is the interior shot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3 shots of the Class 302 and Class 305 AC EMUs and interior (first class section) of both as they are soo simliar.
    [​IMG]

and now for something I designed myself, almost, except the pantograph and bogies, it needs a few modifications to make it DDA compliant (wheelchair space) and possilby some other modifications are needed. (difficult to explain without using techhie terms, basically though, so the body doesn't get trashed while the train hits line side structures, because the gap between the train and structures are narrow.)

If anyone is interested in the typical timescale, its around a month to start from a box (primitive) to a almost finished exterior model, so that means, I should do about 12 models a year

I hope this is of interest to a lot of people. :)

2. jfrsndvs

jfrsndvs Member

Albums:
    I thought that this was pretty damn cool to see, that is something that I would love to be able to do only with cars and trucks, but I sure wouldn't even know where to start on something like that.

3. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thats really coo, I've always really enjoyed trains.

And I'll say this is a pretty good job you've done here!

4. JustAsking

Gold Member

WessexEN,
    Dude, you need to get out more. Actually, I think these are amazing.

JA

5. WessexEN

WessexEN New Member

If you look out of the window of a passing train,
    I do! :p Its called taking a laptop with me and using it (virutally) every boring moment I have. :)

6. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

I kept meaning to post in this topic, and kept forgetting; I was a bit busy

Have you tried "Trainz" the railway simulator? You could get your (rather impressive) creations going in that, and it has a very devoted following.

Me and my sister used to play around with it and make track layouts.

Draft saved Draft deleted