My School Gym...

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Smaccoms, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    My school gym (the new gym) has enclosed stalls for showers. The guys are so nervous, and glare at you if the sense you checking them out at all--not that you'd see anything at all anyways (always covered up). It is extremely anti-social as well. You walk in to the locker room to at least 20 or 30 students, and no one is talking or looking at each other (that'd be too gay, he's only wearing boxers! eek!) The atmosphere is so oppressive, it's kind of depressing...anyone else experience this? I hate it! I find it a little ironic, because I go to Umass Amherst, which is in Pioneer Valley 20 minutes away from Northampton.

2. enormouslyaverage

Albums:
    I'm in Canada and we don't have stalls in my particular school district, or however it's divided up...but why's it matter if dudes are talkative while showering? Most probably wouldn't be.

3. D_Steve_Sphincter

D_Steve_Sphincter New Member

Yeah, there's enclosed stalls at my gym. Atmosphere is not as you describe, but it amazes me how many people are doing the towel dance now. Yesterday there were three guys happily hanging out naked, and then I noticed that the youngest guy who was in the best shape of anyone in the locker room wrapped his towel around him with his boxers still on, and then awkwardly took his boxers off beneath the towel. The locker room wasn't even busy. This is more and more common, and so weird. I'm originally from Northern England where you would never see this behavior. The gym I go to now is in Central London. Seems that the young people down here are a lot more prudish.

4. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's so bizarre to walk into a locker room where everyone is nervously staring at the floor while changing as quickly as possible so skittishly. It feels like I'm walking into a supervised prison camp or something. It makes me feel really nervous just walking in only because everyone else is too! I kind of dread using that locker room because of it...

5. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    Those guys looks so ridiculous doing that--it calls so much more attention to themselves when they are doing it too, it's so funny!
    I hate it when a guy who DOES take all his clothes off glares at anyone looking as if their trying to steal food from his store or something like that. I see that a lot too...

6. Coqfan

Coqfan Member

Albums:

Haha, at first I thought you were talking about a high school gym but turn out to be a college gym...those guys sound like are really repressed and super insecure from some conservative background or something...I had been to some college gyms that are totally open shower and everyone seems relax chit chating and just seem natural

I found that the commercial gyms people tend to be more on aloof in the locker room, but at schools and uni gyms there tend to be more horse play and goofing around amongs school/team mates.

7. Biguncut9

Biguncut9 Active Member

Albums:
    That is crazy to me, I used to visit Amherst all the time and can't believe it is like that. That is very disappointing to me.

8. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    The showers in Boyden and Totman are still open style, not that it matters. Ever since they opened the Rec Center, they've closed down almost all the other gyms on campus. The only use for the locker rooms in Boyden and Totman are for the pools, which will probably also close down in a couple years. They have a plan to expand Umass Campus Recreation and add a pool to it. Yup, that's Umass.
    I'm hoping to move to San Francisco to some job (in my field) by the end of next summer. I will look for a gym with open style showers there, and finally get the experience for the first time in my life! How exciting!

9. unzipped

Gold Member

Albums:
    at work, the men just come in from their squad cars or shifts, strip down and we all shower, big thick meat swaying... no shyness there... we stand around toweling off one leg on the bench talking sports, women or field work... very open and man ish...

10. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    must be such a relief after having experienced an atmosphere like I jsut described above...relaxing almost after a good work out

11. lasolasbud

lasolasbud Member

This sort of thing is regional. You’re in Massachusetts, traditionally pretty conservative state outside of the Boston area. I don’t think there is one single explanation of this but I’m guessing it’s a form of mental illness or poor self-image. Seeing a group of naked guys in a locker-room isn’t a traumatic experience but for some it’s frightening. I feel bad for these guys. I can’t imagine living my life afraid of naked men. And I often wonder if they are afraid of naked women. I’d like to ask them what is going on in their minds when a person sees them naked. It’s just another piece of a much larger puzzle.

12. art

art
    Gold Member

I go to grad school in Virginia. Old gym here ("Memorial" to honor the students who died in World War I!), though it's been rehabbed a few times. Still open showers, the Bradley models (I think that's the name): 3-head pods scattered along the walls and 4 head "trees" in the center of the shower room. Maybe 30 guys per room if it was full. If it's not, friends shower and chat next to each other. Nobody seems too shy about being naked around each other....a good mix from late teens to 60's, I'd guess.

13. hungboy18

hungboy18 New Member

Albums:
    I always find myself looking down or trying to avoid looking at other dudes for too long but I always try to find the best place to get glimpses of their dicks and bulges HAHAHAH

14. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    i find I don't need to look down or avoid glances at all because everyone else at my gym does it for me. They're all so freaked. They are also very homophobic, and glare at you if they sense you lookin for too long. It's creepy...you are insanely cut by the way

15. hd4me2

hd4me2 Member

Geez, and I was concerned about my Daughter!

She use to attend UMass Amherst. I remember driving her and her personal affects for the Freshman year. McKennzie I think? I thought it was odd when I learned that the Shower/Restroom facilities were Coed. There were Male and Female doors, but no separating walls inside.

These posts just altered my thoughts............

16. D_Dan_T_Zinferno

D_Dan_T_Zinferno New Member

I've lived near Amherst for most of my life, never attended UMASS but have spent time there and worked in the area. Have noticed a lot of guys are uptight/homophobic but never realize it extended to the lockerroom. Maybe it's just because they're young? Idk. I was shy at 12 but by 16, I was very much over it and was one of the few guys completely naked in my high school lockerroom.

17. thad

thad New Member

I know I'm old but here's how old:

When I went to high school (USA) in gym class, when you had swim classes, you went bare-ass naked. No choice, no discussion, deal with it.

Seemed a little weird at first (especially as freshmen where most had pubies but some didn't) but after a while it was just routine and since everyone saw each other in the showers (you had to shower first and they did a dirt check on your arms) it was just accepted. Needless to say, none of this towel-dance nonsense went on after swim class when we were getting dressed.

I am not one of those old dudes that always says the old days were better but in this case I think they were.

#17 thad, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  18. cyrushkcurtis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Same here.

19. leonceswim

leonceswim Active Member

Albums:
    Ive noticed at UT, the guys who swim are more likely to strip down without care than the others using the gym. even in our swim classes, everyone would just shower off and chat about the week and class in the open showers

20. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    most of the guys in the locker room are the guys from southwest; the freshman there have no idea the school they're attending is at one of Massachusetts gay capitals! Northampton is extremely well-known for being quite gay, and they're all insulted when they THINK a guy is looking at them. If you hate homosexual attraction so much, then go down south!

Draft saved Draft deleted