My Sick Cat

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
well, since you went to see her, I am sure she is feeling a whole lot better. Knowing that she is not alone at some strange place. I am really GLAD to hear that she is on the good road of getting better.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thank you all for your thoughtful posts. Unfortunately the Vet called from the hospital and said Rose took a turn for the worse overnight. He said it was 50/50 whether she would make it through today. I am overwhelmingly distraught. Rose is my best buddy and is happiest sitting in my lap being petted. I'm going to visit her later in the Hospital. If you pray, please remember my little Rose in your prayers.

Thanks
ISIZE

Attachments

Last edited:

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Sorry to hear. Is/was she in full ketoacidosis (DKA)? If so, it can be very touch-and-go and a slow climb out. As you've described it as a "hospital", I assume it's a facility that's able to provide 24/7 care. She definitely needs that right now.

Will keep a hopeful thought.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry to hear. Is/was she in full ketoacidosis (DKA)? If so, it can be very touch-and-go and a slow climb out. As you've described it as a "hospital", I assume it's a facility that's able to provide 24/7 care. She definitely needs that right now.

Will keep a hopeful thought.
She's in full DKA with a urinary tract infection. They're having trouble regulating her blood sugar and electrolytes. Her liver function tests are also elevated. She had an xray this morning and they couldn't find any obvious "mass'> She's having an ultrsound this afternoon to get a better look at her liver and pancreas. Luckily she IS in a 24/7 animal hospital and is intensive care. She's the only patient in the ICU right now so I'm sure she is being well cared for. She's only 8 years old. They tell me that whenever they touch her, she purrs.That's my Rose. I can't wait to visit to let her know that I'm there.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
First of all, the purring is a GREAT sign -- that means she's putting up a fight! :smile:

Cats are notorious for difficult to regulate BG's, so that's not at all surprising to me, especially when there's a UTI in the mix. I'm sure they've got her on antibiotics to knock that out. Liver values, etc. are typically a train wreck with DKA, however they can snap back to normal very quickly once they get the BG and infection under control. Ultrasound is the logical next step. She may have dumped some fat into her liver, as my cat did. That can take a bit to clear as well and they really can turn the corner amazingly fast.

Glad to know she has proper, competent care. Sometimes regular vets attempt to handle these cases when they just don't have the necessary critical care experience.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Rose had a bad day yesterday. She bean having liver problems and has developed something called hepatic lipodosis. Basically because of her high sugar and ketones coupled with the fact that she doesn't feel well enough to eat, her body is breaking down her fat stores to use for energy. This is causing her liver to be overwhelmed with fat and her liver function is decreasing. The treatment is for her to EAT. We had to transfer her to a larger medical center. She sat on my lap the whole way and purred seeming to enjoy the ride. This morning she had a blood transfusion and this afternoon they are going to place a temporary feeding tune to get her some nutrition. The vet says she is critically ill but "holding her own". He says she has a long way to go but sees no reason why she can't make a full recovery. My other 2 cats sense something is wrong and haven't left my side all day. It's killing me that I couldn't visit her today because of work and distance but i hope to go see her tomorrow. But I know she's in good hands. I just want my big girl home where she belongs. There is a big void in my household.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Keep your chin up Indy and keep thinking about what the vet said about making a full recovery :wink:. The fact that she was purring is a good sign.

The Hospital just called to tell us our Beloved Cat Rose passed away unexpectedly about an hour ago. There are no words to express our grief.

Oh lord P! I'm very sorry to hear this. There's nothing so awful as losing a loved one. Please accept my sympathies. :frown1: