My Sig (and probably those of others)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lex, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Someone went into my account and changed my signature.

Have you also read my PMs?

And you expect people to TRUST YOU?!?!

Where does it say that it is illegal to post links in one's sig?

(quick, go make something up)

2. snoozan

Gold Member

looks like it's directed back at BD's site.

3. mindseye

Gold Member

I don't know what happened with your sig, and I'm looking into it. You know full well that we can't read other people's PM's, so why did you make that accusation?

4. playainda336

Gold Member

Albums:
    It shouldn't matter what site is linked to in a signature. People link to their own personal sites ALL the time.

5. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Obviously YOU didn't and can't--but I am wondering WHY it was done. And obviously, whoever can change my signature CAN read my PMs (not that there is anything in there worth reading).

That is was done and done quietly and without warning is alarming to me.

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Only 3 on this board may edit sigs and it's not likely to happen except for the occasional deletion due to banning.

We cannot read others' Private Messages.

7. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Thanks Pecker.

8. mindseye

Gold Member

At this point, I'm confident that your signature was not altered by a member of the staff. If you're convinced it was altered without your permission, you should change your password pronto.

The assertion that whoever can change signatures can read PMs is false; I have the ability to do the former (though I've never used it), but not the latter.

9. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I will change my password. My signature WAS changed. Pecker implied that you, Rob and He are the only ones who can do it. Who would be motivated to have access to my account and then change ONLY my sig so that BD.com was replaced with LPSG.org.

I don't expect anyone to admit it.

I assume by staff you mean you and Pecker. I wouldn't expect Rob_E to even respond.

10. mindseye

Gold Member

"I don't expect anyone to admit it" is prejudicial in the same way that "Have you stopped abusing your kids?" is. I didn't alter your signature.

11. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Heath, my signature was changed by either you, Pecker, or Rob_E.

I believe you when you say that you did not do it, because:

(a) that is not really your style; and

(b) you would admit to doing it if you had done it, hadit been something that you would do

12. Freddie53

Gold Member

This is a suggestion to all the people who have chosen to be members of both sites. I would not use the same password at both sites.

I don't know how passwords work. And I am sure most members at both sites don't either. Anytime something like this happens, we all look at the possibilities. One of the first it the "password." Is it possible for anyone in the know to find out what a member's password is at one site and then try it to see if it works at the other site. I don't know. But if I am able to wonder if it is possible, I'm sure others have or will wonder.

By havng a different password at each site, you the member can know for sure that no one can get your password at one site and then use it at the other site to get into your account.

This is just good business sense that I have read about the Internet in general and that is to use a different password for each Internet account. I keep a list of passwords at my computer. No way could I remember them all. I have just started doing this recently when I read how passwords can be stolen. It doesn't mean that your password can't be stolen. It just means that if it is, only one Internet account is open to the person who has stolen it. At least your other accounts are still protected.

Keep in mind that Lex's password might have been stolen by someone away from either site.

The Internet is getting more scary all the time.

13. No_Strings

Gold Member

In all honesty, that was my first thought too.

14. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I do NOT know if this is the case here, but I have experienced other links here working that way. That is, no matter what the link says, that it hits a glitch and sends me back to the main index here. Again, NOT trying to defend "the three", I'm just saying that I've had weird things happen with links here, including last year during the Mod selection process, when, and no one seems to know how, I was thrown into the Mod area a couple of times. Yes, I reported it immediately, and it hasn't happened since that one day. I'm only pointing out that, considering the technology involved, things may not be a devious as they seem.

15. Rob_E

Staff Member Administrator

Lex,

To my knowledge no one altered your signature. However, I will ask that you remove the link to Big D's site. I certainly can't stop him from setting up his own website, in fact I wish him success. However, if the point of his website is to leach members and generally talk about how bad this website is, I really don't think it's fair for me to give him free advertising.

Recent events have taken me out of my coding frenzy and forced me to start thinking about changes for the forum in general. I admit that we have an imperfect system. I think that we can make this place better, and I'm going to work hard to get us moving in the right direction.

My personal problem with Big D was that he seemed to always be negative.

Thanks,

Rob

16. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    My signature has also been altered without my knowledge or permission

17. dong20

Gold Member

At the risk of pissing off someone else, who do you envision being involved, even if peripherally in determining what direction is the 'right' one? You may have gathered some here have strongly held views on that.

Obviously it's your site, that this was never in question and you may ignore the membership as you wish. But I do think the question is a reasonable one.

18. mindseye

Gold Member

I had noticed earlier today that it was different from the signature you had last night. I still don't know what's going on.

19. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    well I am not sure what's going on with my account or other members accounts as far as the signature line is concerned, maybe a discussion amoung the admins about better account security would be a good idea.For right now I will be changing my PW and my email address just as I did in the past when I felt there was an issue with my account. But it would make me more comfortable if there could be some kind of investigation about this

20. No_Strings

Gold Member

Has anyones signature changed who isn't a member of "olpsg"?

If someone is stirring the pot, the likelihood of it being someone affiliated towards either site is equal.

Draft saved Draft deleted