My sophomore year

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
In my sophomore year of High School we had a bit of a controversy.(Scroll down to "Controversy")...

Of course I wore a t shirt "I Love Lesbians" in protest of the "gay-haters" and even the fuckers from Westboro showed up!

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
"Along with homosexuality, the school is full of heterosexuality with its high teen pregnancy rate, causing rivals to refer to webb city as "sluts" and the redettes whores."

Full of heterosexuality - LOL

clear

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
In my sophomore year of High School we had a bit of a controversy.(Scroll down to "Controversy")...

Of course I wore a t shirt "I Love Lesbians" in protest of the "gay-haters" and even the fuckers from Westboro showed up!

Wow...

That was SO very cool of you to do! You should remain forever proud of yourself for what you did. That one act of defiance now serves as a [FONT=&quot]permanent [/FONT]example of what it means to stand up for what you believe in; even if you did not personally know the individual who sparked it all (did you?). Anyway stay cool and nice pic’s by the way.:cool:

Respectfully,

T.D.

Ciao-

NIMBUS

Legendary Member
Media
What does 'sophomore' mean? What is it?

Please remember that there are many people on here that don't have the faintest understanding of the US education system! A bit of explanation now and then would be useful.

nwarluvs2jo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sophomore is the second year of a student's 4 year secondary educational career....namely 10th grade.

NIMBUS

Legendary Member
Media
Thanks for the explanations, guys. What is so special about the second year that it requires a specific name? What age is 10th grade? :confused: In the UK we have five-years of secondary education (age 11-16) plus two optional sixth-form years.

It's bad enough trying to become familiar with the UK system as it is now! When I was at school, years were numbered within the school (primary or secondary), from first year upwards. Sometime in the last 15 years they seem to have switched to referring to the entire school career, from year 1, when you first start at school, onwards. It's very confusing when the kids refer to being in 'year 9' or 'year 10' - it means absolutely nothing to anyone over the age of about 30 (unless they have kids of their own!) and requires a lot of mental computation to actually work out that they mean 3rd year (age 13/14) or 4th year (age 14/15) of secondary school. :mad:

Bizarrely, to confuse the issue more, the term 'sixth form' or 'sixth form college' has been retained beyond the newer year 1 to year 11 (?) terminology - probably to confuse everyone else when they try and understand our system! :biggrin1:

bigjedi

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
come to Australia, the education system here is easy! Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade etc. all the way up until 12th grade.

... Except in Western Australia, where they don't have Kindergarten.

... And in Queensland where the school system is different again.

Ok, so maybe it's not so easy. :rolleyes:

spunkyboy2008

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I always wondered what a sophomore was, it sounded rather rather like a sycamore...

In South Africa we had Sub-A and Sub-B then Standard 1 to 10 which was called matric, but then they changed everything around.

ty.

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
In the US, we have kindergarten, then grades 1-8, then high school (secondary) grades 9-12. In high school, the years also have names.

9th grade (about age 15)= freshmen
10th grade (16) = sophomore
11th grade (17) = junior
12th grade (18) = senior