My straight roommate made fun of me for wearing calvins...

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by mthomson2020, Feb 12, 2012.

1. mthomson2020

mthomson2020 Member

Albums:
    I just moved in with a buddy of mine in mid January. He's completely straight and I'm somewhat curious haha.

Anyways I wear Calvin Klein boxerbriefs and trunks most of the time. We just got comfortable enough to not care about walking around in underwear in front of each other and stuff.

Yesterday, I was walking around without a shirt in just a pair of Calvin Klein X brand boxerbriefs. I could tell it caught him off guard and was like "why are you wearing gay people's underwear?" Just kinda poked fun at me. I just took it in stride and said they were comfortable and he should try them. The few times I've seen him in his underwear he was just wearing either Hanes boxerbriefs or plain plaid boxers.

I don't think that CK has that stigma from what i can tell at least. These were just the white ones with the black waistband blue writing CALVINKLEIN around the waistband. Just comfortable underwear.

Am I missing something?

And as a disclaimer, he doesn't know that I'm "curious"

#1 mthomson2020, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. GboroNCguy

GboroNCguy New Member

I don't see any problem with it. I'm sure you looked good and hanging out in your underwear is more comfortable. How close are you and your friend? When I saw my buds in their underwear, I never commented even if it looked weird.

Keep at it and he will get used to it.

3. 2xistTrunks

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't know where people get this idea of "gay underwear" from. Guys should be able to wear what's comfortable for them without anyone making assumptions about sexuality from it. If you were running around the apartment in a studded pink thong, maybe he could attempt calling it "gay underwear".

I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much though. I know plenty of straight guys who wear CK as well as other designer brands.

4. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have quite a few 100% straight friends who wear designer boxer briefs. Seems fine to me. Maybe he's not so much asking about your underwear, but trying to indirectly ask about your sexuality?

5. xmarksbreakdownx

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well... I already see I'm going to be "that guy", but I kind of see most designer underwear as being mostly a... excuse me, but "gay thing". Like, I'm not sure if it's because it generally fits tighter or what, but Armari, Calvin, Ginch Gonch, Papi, Aussie Bum, C-IN2, Diesel, Unico, they all seem to be "gay" underwear to me.

I think the reason why is, generally you don't see your everyday straight guy wearing anything other than Hanes or "normal" underwear. (Unless they're famous.) It's like... you know, it's underwear, who cares? Where as a gay man might think you know... the sterotype is usually they are better dressers or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I know straight guys who wear Calvins, Polo, and what not, just like I know gay guys who are fine with everyday plaid boxers. I'm just saying, wearing desginer underwear to me is something that's normally something gay people or metrosexuals do. Just MHO.

6. SprkE08

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  7. bondegutten

bondegutten Member

Albums:
    i think that has to be an american thing then, because most younger guys wears designer underwear here, calvin klein, bjorn borg and dolce&gabbana are the ones you see most often.
    i've never seen a pair of plaid boxers in the gym locker room to date.

8. illinigradman

illinigradman Member

Next time at the mall maybe you should ask him if he thinks there are enough gay men in the world to buy all the comfortable designer brands they are selling. Somebody has to be buying all the brands and styles CK and others sell. He is missing out on comfortable gear.

9. andii

andii Member

Ginch Gonch, Papi, etc, tend to attract a gay crowd, but I think Calvin Klein is one of the best (and "straightest") underwear companies.

The difference between Calvin Klein and Hanes or FTL is astonishing. Your roommate is just ignorant.

10. 2xistTrunks

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That's a great argument! You should totally do this.

11. AG08

Gold Member

Your buddy sounds like a totally childish moron to me. I have worn Tommy Hilfiger boxer briefs for the last decade and I don't see what's "gay" about them. :confused: BTW - I'm straight and married. My wife picks them up for me at the store, and she doesn't seem to think there is anything wrong with them. Maybe your buddy is closeted. Guys I knew like this when I was younger came out of the closet years later after calling everyone and everything "gay".

12. mplsingleguy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Anything can be sexualized, man.

13. BoxersMan

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I see tons of girls shopping in the nice underwear section at Macy's/Marshall's etc.. for underwear like this. Girls find it sexy on guys.

I like Calvin's because they are a way softer material than Hanes/FTL. Granted, I wear those kinds, and save the nicer brands for when I go out and stuff.

Nothing really "gay" about it, altho, I did read something about one guy on the Jersey Shore being called gay because he was wearing those same boxer briefs you described!

14. Redwyvre

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd take it as a compliment. Nothing wrong with looking good in a pair of underwear. If it comes up again ask him, "I don't know. Why do you think this is gay underwear? I love this underwear because....." See how he reacts.
    Doesn't matter if you're gay, bi, or whatever, toughen up and be fabulous or at least funny! Come up with good reasons, stick up for yourself, don't let anyone think they they can easily make fun of you. Figure out the situation and decide whether or not someone is just flipping you shit and so you flip it back. Maybe he's flirting. Then again maybe at some point you'll need to bring out your inner bitchy queen...

#14 Redwyvre, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  15. erratic

Gold Member

Gay underwear? Seriously? Do they have "I suck cock" written all over them? If he were my roomie I would have subjected him to a healthy dose of friendly ridicule. :)

16. LargeSide

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've never heard of CK's, or other designer underwear, referred to as "gay underwear"... All I know is that they're really damn comfortable, so why not wear them?

17. Novaboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    You could always ask him why he's looking at your underware! I agree though, he could be hinting at asking about your sexuality.

18. brklynboy

brklynboy New Member

Albums:
    As an American living in Denmark, I completely agree with you. It's an American thing. Everybody, I know and see here in Scandy-land have nice underwear.

19. calvinkleinguy

calvinkleinguy Active Member

Albums:
    i wouldnt consider calvin kleins a gay mans underwear. i am gay and yeah i wear them but its just not gay men that wear them.
    aussiebum, 2xist and andrew christian is more the type of underwear you only see gay men wear.
    anyone outside of australia wearing aussiebum underwear, you can pretty much guarantee they are gay :)
    have a look at andrew christian latest advert for underwear. its a sexy car wash with a group of men washing cars in nothing but andrew christian underwear. the adverts for andrew christain are to grab gay guys attention.

20. BarefootGuy

Gold Member

I would tell him that you won't wear Calvin underwear any more and slide them off in front of him. Go around naked and see if he feels that is less gay! LOL!

Draft saved Draft deleted