My Super 8 Dreams

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HellsKitchenmanNYC, Jul 3, 2009.

1. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Tonight along w/all the other things that are going thru my head....I'm wishing Super 8 film was still more available. I've been debating transfereing my old films to discs as it will just make me jones for it even more. I'm esp. missing a certain Canon camera that allowed me to shoot on a frame ration that would make a transfer to 16mm seamless. Ugh. the digital world has ruined so many good things and film is one of them.
    Super 8 put moviemaking in the hands of the average person. Digital has done that too but w/less depth and feel.
    Lots of filmmakers started in super8 and even some that became famous even used those crazy cameras where you made movies on audio cassettes.....damn how come I can't remember what they're called right now?!
    Editing super 8 and esp the sound is challenging and was fun.
    Just bemoaning a long lost friend I guess!

2. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    That brought back some memories. I started out on 8mm, moved to Super8mm and then to Fujica's Single8 system, which allowed you to rewind the film cartridge to do fade in/out, lap dissolves and double exposures. I reluctantly embraced video, but it was never the same as film. Tragically, I lost all those films to a fire 6 years ago.

3. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nice that sux! Big time. The thiing I loved so much about my Canon camera is that you could do all that w/out rewinding etc. It had a remote for stop frame etc.....

4. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    filmmaking is fun and cahleenging..artistically and physically. Editing real film is a challenge and fun. It's RIGHT there in your hands.

Editing 16mm is a total other thing but in my mind I try to relive the super 8 dream now and then.

5. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    How did you do a lap dissolve without rewinding...unless the film backs up inside the camera into a reserve.

6. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    The camera just did it. I don't remember doing alot of those dissolves ever but the cam just did it if I remember correctly. There was never any rewinding.

7. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Of course my dream was to get that russian camera that was STATE OF HE ART at the time. It was even more advanced and professional. I still have the flyer for it.

8. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted