My tribute to 9/11

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I wasn't sure where else on this site to post this. I wrote it in order to process my own grief, sadness, horror at what happened in New York. I'd BEEN in the World Trade Centers and ate in the Windows of the World Restaurant. I hope you benefit from what I've processed!

A DAY OF TERROR
Twin towers of glass and steel
Standing tall against the blue firmament of a cloudless
East coast September morn;
Symbols of wealth tendering seeming security.
A common routine of thousands streaming to and fro
amid the hustle and bustle of daily commerce;
America the free, America the prosperous;
America offering opportunity.
And in an instant, the mindless madness of those
blinded by fanaticism, brings chaos and terror;
The roaring of engines heard above the cacophony of
cab horns and conversations;
The blazing ball of destruction ripping into the ribs of
the tall proud structures bringing death to hundreds inside
the towering caverns.
Carefully chosen framed pictures of loved ones adorning desks;
bright balloons of yesterday’s surprise baby-shower; steaming
coffee-pots offering morning energy; remnants of danish lying
on desks; files carefully organized; all gone in the gutted moment.
People standing helpless on the streets below, gazing up in disbelief;
"Is this real?" "What’s happening?" "WHAT IS HAPPENING!"
Adrenaline pumping responses; run --- no, stay --- no, run! Get out!
Flames and fire pushing heat through doors; choking smoke filling rooms, nostrils, lungs;
Those choosing to climb up to escape;
those choosing to climb down to escape.
Terror in the skies. Terror seen in eyes. Minds spinning, cameras whirling.
Brave souls whose only thought is "how can I help?" --- sacrificing safety of self for the sake of others.
Millions watch in disbelief on the glowing tube which makes us laugh or think and dispatches information we may or may not want to hear; Technology which tells us which toothpaste to buy, which detergent will best clean our clothes, now brings the eerie surreal reality "This isn’t real….it CAN’T be real!" "My God, what’s happening?" "Not to US, this CAN’T be happening?"
Attorney’s; accountants; bookkeepers; clerks; financiers and janitors alike; from the high and mighty -- to the lowly and humble, all caught in the same web of terror; mothers and fathers, brothers, sisters, married, single, gay and straight; black; Hispanic; Asian; white; wealthy and poor, that odd conglomeration of Americans one finds in workplaces all over this land, captured together in this common community – a bond of bondage -- a dream turned into a nightmare. Confusion and chaos in far away, right next door, New York.
Moments pass and stunned turns to stunning in the spectacular graceful glide
of yet another plane plunging from the skies and reigning terror in Tower 2.
A fireball of red and orange against the clear blue sky. And the groans and moans of millions who now realize that it IS real --- all too real. We watch
in powerless silence, mouths agape, "Oh please, dear God, not here!" And fear creeps up our spines with the thought, "What next?" "Where next?"
"Who’s done this to us?" and "Why?"
Moments turn to minutes. Zombie stares at scenes being described to us,
but we can see all too clearly for ourselves --- terrorists turning our peaceful
American firmament into a scorched and blackened hue.
Then slowly the tall structures crumble and collapse. If what we thought was unbelievable had ALREADY happened, THIS was the most surreal of all. Years to build, mere minutes to destroy -- 110 stories of American pride came crashing down down down; floor caving in upon floor. Dust and debris; glass and concrete once carefully piled; and people --- honored humanity --- now slowly descending to the pavement.
If each prayer is heard by God, a mighty shout rang out in heaven on this day of 911. As souls ascended, now knowing their fate had been caused by minds warped by hatred, a beam of love pierced through the chaotic smoke and haze. For them the struggle and sweat, the worries and fears that mark so much of life were gone. Today was a good day to die --- like any other.
For those left behind, the comforting words, touch and hugs of empathetic strangers – a new community forged by grief.

We know this terror. It is the terror of vulnerability, the fear of finiteness. Brick and clay, mortar and mind --- it weakens, it gives way to something more.
What glory is there for those who sacrifice their lives to destroy? What future monuments will be erected to those who have murdered? How many people 60 years later proudly name their children "Adolph?" But in this tragedy of terror there are the Joe’s, and Charlie’s, Monica’s and Maria’s who have shown the bravery of their metal in the compassionate response to madness and cowardice.
Truth shall always triumph over terror; valor shall always be victorious over vindictiveness. America will stay strong as we show the world we are capable of withstanding the brutal impact of tragedy and terror. Even brought to our knees we will not stoop to brutishness or bullies.
Let those who delight in America’s tears remember that if America ever crumbles, life in much of the world crumbles with it! If our arrogance and pride has caused us to be too callused to those hurting in the world, or we have used others for our own greed, then let this be the vigilant wake up call to sacrifice self for the sake of others. Many Empires too have crumbled and petty Kings whose moment of glory flashed like fireworks for only a moment, have now been virtually forgotten. But those who seek to make love and peace; brotherhood and sisterhood the true virtues of human worth and dignity will prevail. From the rubble of crumbling buildings must rise a new resolve:
Let me never take for granted what is a gift, and let me freely and justly share that gift with all. Let my blessings bless me and others as well!
If this be our creed; then God will continue to bless America and our fuller greatness will yet unfold!

No words can adequately express the sadness of heart, the bewilderment felt or lives forever changed, but our tomorrows will reveal if we have learned the lessons so vividly taught us on this day of terror!
Peace and Prayers ----- D H