MY UNHAPPY AUDITION

Ineligible

1st Like
Media
It's always reasonable to ask for some guidance as to what you didn't do well, so you can learn what to improve. It may be that there was some aspect of your performance that you thought was good or adequate but wasn't.

Of course it's also possible that the person who won's mother performed some favour for the director or the principal.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by TtheAmazing@Oct 22 2005, 03:18 AM
GIVEN MY LIFE to my drama dept. for 5 years now, I have the right to ask how he beat me. Thoughts? COmments? Help?
[post=354071]Quoted post[/post]​

1). You've been in High School for quite some time now.

2). Who knows what kinda foolingaround "Scary Boy" and the directory have done.

3). Yeah, I guess you have the right to know, ask and find out, I'm sure if he a respectable director he will muster up some kind of answer for you.

dlcs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Theater's a bitch sometimes, ain't it? Got picked for a role in a one-act in college because the director wanted to bang me. Gah.

Sounds like you've become more important as an AD. Unfortunately, and especially in high school (was like this at mine) people think that directors direct because they can't act. :mad:

You have every right to wonder. If you're as trusted as an AD as you say (and for as long as you've been doing the work, they'd damn well better trust you!!), your director cannot avoid answering your question without losing some integrity.

Go strike a blow for your fellow Theater Geeks. Good luck.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My opinion: ask the director, but not in an e-mail. If you want to have a serious discussion with him, you need to see him face to face. Messages back and forth just don't cut it. And please watch how you word your inquiry. Don't ask, "How did Scary Boy get the part and not me?" That suggests that you don't trust his judgment, so why should explain anything to you? Instead, try, "What do I need to work on in the future to ensure that I get roles that I audition for?" That way you will get some insight into what he's looking for without attacking the actor he chose and without questioning his casting abilities. When dealing with temperamental musical theatre types, tact is everything.

absinthium

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Originally posted by surferboy@Oct 22 2005, 05:09 AM
Oh no! My baby boy didn't get the part! That's so not crescent fresh! I'll talk to you tomorrow/later about it! *hug*
[post=354143]Quoted post[/post]​

Ha... Crescent Fresh. S&O rules.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As usual, DMW gives excellent advice.

I think most of us have wondered at some point in life why wasn't I chosen or sometimes, why was I chosen? Usually performance at the audition nails the part; however, there are other factors that directors consider such as:
what is the chemistry between X and Y and Z...is it believable
can X grow into the role,
who best looks like my mind's conception of ____, or
perhaps, do we need to develop another talent to replace the Amazing?

Granted that I know squat about the the theater, but my mom teaches drama in NYC and I have seen many plays/musicals cast at our kitchen table.

Advice: Be a trooper and carry that spear proudly!

jay