My USA thread comparison

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
I created two threads.....one telling people that scream the USA is the greatest country in the world to STFU. I'm only readdressing this because I fear I am going to be labeled as a blind flag waver, which I'm not. Please read the first link if you don't believe me.

http://www.lpsg.org/91884-people-say-us-greatest-country.html

And then the other one saying they hate the USA to STFU.

http://www.lpsg.org/91885-people-say-usa-sucks-rant.html

Here are the two links. Now I coverd both sides, and the one that got the most attention and cause the most debate/arguments was the later. I find this pretty interesting, I went on a very long rant speaking about what is wrong with this country and there were only like 10 replies, versus the 120+ in the other.

I was attempting to explain that the people on both extremes are not correct. My attempt on this wasn't to insult people by suggesting that if it wasn't for us everyone would be living in caves. The point was that as a Nation, we have done good for our neighbors since our creation. If you want to say the "US is messed up right now and they need to get their shit together" I'll sit down and have a beer with you and agree. We have a lot of things we need fixed, read my first thread. It's not an Administration issue or government issue, I believe a huge problem is our citizens for various reasons.

And like in my first thread, if you are the type blindly saying the USA is the best and the rest of you all suck, you can sit down and shut up too. Being a good person and or nation is stepping up and seeing your faults instead of sitting by and watching things go down the proverbial toilet. Put down the beer cozy get off your ass and do something for society other than watching sportscenter all day and waxing your truck.

Extremeist on either side of any issue are typically unreasonable. I was just trying to have people on both sides of this extreme to understand that the truth of what the US is as a nation, falls somewhere in the middle.

We screw up, we do good, we have good intentions but sometimes fall short. We're like that older brother that's 30, drinks Jager, still lives in your parents basement, picking up college girls, still learning and making mistakes but you still wouldn't want to fuck with him, his family or friends cause he will still crack all the bones in your body with a ball peen hammer.

I'm talking about our citizens, not the government. Regardless of politics, we as a nation of people will always stand next to our friends that are in need.

Peace.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Haha, I do not think he was stating that.
It seems he's advocating pragmatism or a balance when viewing the U.S. - don't get so caught up in flag waving that you bling yourself to the nation's misdeeds, but don't focus so much on the bad aspects that you lose your faith in society and government.

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I know what he's saying... but :usa2: all the same.

I am convinced that most USA bashers don't do it because they have thought it out and logically believe their own rhetoric. Same with the flag wavers. Both sides mostly do it because it makes us feel good, and logic can't trump that.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider

Lunatic fringe
I know you're out there
You're in hiding
And you hold your meetings
We can hear you coming
We know what you're after
We're wise to you this time
We won't let you kill the laughter.

Lunatic fringe
In the twilight's last gleaming
This is open season
But you won't get too far
We know you've got to blame someone
For your own confusion
But we're on guard this time
Against your final solution

We can hear you coming
(We can hear you coming)
No you're not going to win this time
We can hear the footsteps
(We can hear the footsteps)
Way out along the walkway
Lunatic fringe
We know you're out there
But in these new dark ages
There will still be light

An eye for an eye;
Well before you go under...
Can you feel the resistance?
Can you feel the thunder?

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know what he's saying... but all the same.

I am convinced that most USA bashers don't do it because they have thought it out and logically believe their own rhetoric. Same with the flag wavers. Both sides mostly do it because it makes us feel good, and logic can't trump that.

Haha, emotions rule above all else?

I recall Gary Wills, or maybe Kevin Phillips, discussing this once, and he said it is the overuse of emotion in America that will be the downfall of the country. As though, at this point, or whatever point that was five or so years ago, we lost our ability to be logical and make not only a fair assessment of ourselves and our situation - both domestically and internationally. This was during the election, so he was discussing how easily the U.S. was divided between Blue and Red, and how those labels meant nothing but were assigned a value because people identified with them.

I do see your point... good post!
Btw, have you read anything by Susan Jacoby?
She covers these sorts of topics wonderfully!

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider

Lunatic fringe
I know you're out there
You're in hiding
And you hold your meetings
We can hear you coming
We know what you're after
We're wise to you this time
We won't let you kill the laughter.

Lunatic fringe
In the twilight's last gleaming
This is open season
But you won't get too far
We know you've got to blame someone
For your own confusion
But we're on guard this time
Against your final solution

We can hear you coming
(We can hear you coming)
No you're not going to win this time
We can hear the footsteps
(We can hear the footsteps)
Way out along the walkway
Lunatic fringe
We know you're out there
But in these new dark ages
There will still be light

An eye for an eye;
Well before you go under...
Can you feel the resistance?
Can you feel the thunder?

Hey Shelby... are ya the resistance?
That song originated from the True North proud and free.

I've read that Tom Cochrane wrote it after being inspired by a book about Raoul Wallenberg saving Jews during the Holocaust, and feeling that anti-Semitism was on the rise in the 70s.

Last edited:

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
http://www.lpsg.org/91884-people-say-us-greatest-country.html My attempt on this wasn't to insult people by suggesting that if it wasn't for us everyone would be living in caves. The point was that as a Nation, we have done good for our neighbors since our creation.
We screw up, we do good, we have good intentions but sometimes fall short.
I'm talking about our citizens, not the government. Regardless of politics, we as a nation of people will always stand next to our friends that are in need.
Peace.

How clever of you to overlook the bad things done since your creation.
*exits stage right*:cool:

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Hey Shelby... are ya the resistance?
That song originated from the True North proud and free.

I've read that Tom Cochrane wrote it after being inspired by a book about Raoul Wallenberg saving Jews during the Holocaust, and feeling that anti-Semitism was on the rise in the 70s.

I wish I could lay that claim. Maybe once I was. Now I'm a little older and somewhat disgustingly homogenized for the most part.

Boringly enough, the theme of the thread just made that song pop into my head.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wish I could lay that claim. Maybe once I was. Now I'm a little older and somewhat disgustingly homogenized for the most part.

Boringly enough, the theme of the thread just made that song pop into my head.

For better or worse, two national anthems seem to be referenced in the lyric: "twilight's last gleaming" and "(stand) on guard".

It took on new relevance for some folks after 9/11.