Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
ENTP here

Profile: ENTP
Revision: 3.0
Date of Revision: 26 Feb 2005

"Clever" is the word that perhaps describes ENTPs best. The professor who juggles half a dozen ideas for research papers and grant proposals in his mind while giving a highly entertaining lecture on an abstruse subject is a classic example of the type. So is the stand-up comedian whose lampoons are not only funny, but incisively accurate.
ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love to argue--both for its own sake, and to show off their often-impressive skills. They tend to have a perverse sense of humor as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport.
ENTPs are as innovative and ingenious at problem-solving as they are at verbal gymnastics; on occasion, however, they manage to outsmart themselves. This can take the form of getting found out at "sharp practice"--ENTPs have been known to cut corners without regard to the rules if it's expedient -- or simply in the collapse of an over-ambitious juggling act. Both at work and at home, ENTPs are very fond of "toys"--physical or intellectual, the more sophisticated the better. They tend to tire of these quickly, however, and move on to new ones.
ENTPs are basically optimists, but in spite of this (perhaps because of it?), they tend to become extremely petulant about small setbacks and inconveniences. (Major setbacks they tend to regard as challenges, and tackle with determin- ation.) ENTPs have little patience with those they consider wrongheaded or unintelligent, and show little restraint in demonstrating this. However, they do tend to be extremely genial, if not charming, when not being harassed by life in general.
In terms of their relationships with others, ENTPs are capable of bonding very closely and, initially, suddenly, with their loved ones. Some appear to be deceptively offhand with their nearest and dearest; others are so demonstrative that they succeed in shocking co-workers who've only seen their professional side. ENTPs are also good at acquiring friends who are as clever and entertaining as they are. Aside from those two areas, ENTPs tend to be oblivious of the rest of humanity, except as an audience -- good, bad, or potential.
Some Famous ENTPs:

Alexander the Great
Confederate General J. E. B. Stuart
Sir Walter Raleigh

Fictional:

Mercutio, from Romeo and Juliet
Horace Rumpole, from John Mortimer's Rumpole of the Bailey series
Dorothy L. Sayers's detective Lord Peter Wimsey

titan1968

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I took this test ten years ago, I have taken it a few times since and I have always come out an ISFJ, until now. According to the ENFJ type description by D. Keirsey, I'm the 'Teacher Idealist', the 'Educative Mentor'. :D

I'm curious, though. What brought about this change? I was always told that one's type never changes.

[SIZE=+1]Your Type is [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2]ENFJ[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]ExtrovertedIntuitiveFeelingJudging[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Strength of the preferences %[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]1253822[/SIZE]
ENFJ type description by D.Keirsey
ENFJ type description by J. Butt

[SIZE=+1]Qualitative analysis of your type formula[/SIZE]
You are:
  • slightly expressed extrovert
  • moderately expressed intuitive personality
  • moderately expressed feeling personality
  • slightly expressed judging personality

StrictlyAvg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Reviving an old thread - ISTP here.

Just for fun - your evil MBTI alter ego is here The REAL Personality Types Made Relevant

This is not a bad summation - I'm an aerospace engineer who races motorbikes for a hobby....

Myers-Briggs description

According to Myers-Briggs, ISTPs excel at analyzing situations to reach the heart of a problem so that they can swiftly implement a functional repair, making them ideally suited to the field of engineering. Naturally quiet people, they are interested in understanding how systems operate, focusing on efficient operation and structure. They are open to new information and approaches. But contrary to their seemingly detached natures, ISTPs are often capable of humorously insightful observations about the world around them, and can be closet daredevils who gravitate toward fast-moving or risky hobbies (such as bungee jumping, hang gliding, racing, motorcycling, and parachuting), recreational sports (such as downhill skiing, paintball, ice hockey, and scuba diving), and careers (such as aviation and firefighting).

The potential ways in which an ISTP can irritate others include:

• focusing too much on the current task at the expense of longer term or interpersonal issues
  • not seeing the wood for the trees
  • not completing a task before moving on to the next one
  • not communicating his/her understanding of the situation
  • taking shortcuts
  • seeming to flit from one thing to another

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm an ESFJ. I think this may be off due to the lateness of the hour.

[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE] ESFJ
ExtravertedSensingFeelingJudgingStrength of the preferences % 1256244

Qualitative analysis of your type formula
You are:
  • slightly expressed extravert
  • moderately expressed sensing personality
  • distinctively expressed feeling personality
  • moderately expressed judging personality

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I've taken this before and it comes up the same very time.

Your Type is
ENFJ
Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
Strength of the preferences %
33 50 12 22

You are:
moderately expressed extravert
moderately expressed intuitive personality
slightly expressed feeling personality
slightly expressed judging personality

ENFJs are the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity. They have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturant tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are.

ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture. The ENFJs focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability.

Famous ENFJs:

David, King of Israel
U.S. Presidents:
Abraham Lincoln
Ronald Reagan
Barack Obama

William Cullen Bryant, poet
Abraham Maslow, psychologist and proponent of self-actualization
Ross Perot
Tony Blair
Clara Barton (Founder of the American Red Cross
Sean Connery
Elizabeth Dole
Francois Mitterand
Dick Van Dyke
Andy Griffith
James Garner
William Aramony, former president of United Way
Gene Hackman
Dennis Hopper
Brenda Vaccaro
Craig T. Nelson
Diane Sawyer
Randy Quaid
Tommy Lee Jones
Kirstie Alley s)
Michael Jordan
Johnny Depp
Oprah Winfrey

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I always come up INTJ on these tests and that is accurate. I guess these online forums appeal to INTJs.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Someone needs to post a poll. I am an INTJ too, but according to most sites, we only compromise 1% of the population. So why are there so many of us here?
Since there are so many INTJs here, I was just reading up about you all. I came across this gem that may say something about the nature of LPSG-

"A group of INTJs is an argument." :biggrin1:

and,

"Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing."

INTJ Prayer:
God, let me be open to other people's views,
WRONG though they may be.

:tongue:

It's been mentioned here before that LPSG has an unusually high number of INTJ types. I'm not sure that's so accurate as much as a reflection of the INTJ's desire to take and share these test results with others. There are, after all, far more regular members who do not post in the forums at all.

Of those who do post frequently, the INTJ thing doesn't surprise me. INTJs do not appreciate the social stigma of posting on a big dick web site nor sharing personal information in such a manner. INTJs also appreciate LPSG's more unconventional membership; an INTJ would see nothing wrong with looking at someone's gallery, seeing pictures of a person's genitals, watching masturbation videos, all the while formulating a reply to that person about the economic situation on Indian reservations. There's no disconnect for an INTJ the way there might be for most others and the only problem an INTJ might see in discussing LPSG outside of the forum is the reaction they've come to expect from others.

The first time I took this test, I rated as an INTJ. That was a little over 20 years ago. Since then, I've changed into an INTP with my weakest score, oddly enough, being the Thinking/Feeling inventory (slight), not the Judgment/Perception scale (moderate), so when the change happened, it was definitive. I've always scored very high in iNtuition (over 80%) and moderately so in Introversion (30+%); there is no expectation those will change.

The changeover happened about 10 years ago. I suspect the change was brought on becoming more aware of how much I don't know combined with learning to better trust my instincts. I used to be far more insecure than I am now. That's certainly a contradictory statement given the INTP tendency to self-doubt is far greater than that of the INTJ, but I think that I now rely less on outside processes and conclusions as I find that assuming even the most cast iron data doesn't always result in accurate perceptions and deductions; I'm more willing to wing-it and trust my inductive thought process. Nevertheless, as anyone who reads my writing can attest, I qualify nearly everything.

I am definitely more pensive as I get older. I'm also more flexible and tolerant of the emotional needs of others. I didn't used to be because I found empathy to be like riding a bike for the first time with no training wheels. Empathy placed me in a position of being exceptionally vulnerable and I found people who took advantage of that to my detriment. I still have a difficult time acknowledging and experiencing my own emotions because they tend to run so deeply and my natural tendency is to analyze rather than feel.

I'm also noticing that I tend to be attracted to guys with the same personality type. Do you think that's a good or bad thing? I find it curious yet disturbing. Am I that narcissistic? (some famous INTP self-doubt there).

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's been mentioned here before that LPSG has an unusually high number of INTJ types. I'm not sure that's so accurate as much as a reflection of the INTJ's desire to take and share these test results with others. There are, after all, far more regular members who do not post in the forums at all.

Speaking of... I think I'm something close to that!

.... course when you do those tests.. there's the premonition and steering of what answers you want to be... vs should be... and then if you do the smaller/short forms... it's like "well, I'm both... but I know what you are going for [or at least what I think you are going for .... AND THUSLY THE PROBLEM THEREOF]... so I'll figure out what's best for what answer you're looking for.

Speaking of... I think I'm something close to that!

.... course when you do those tests.. there's the premonition and steering of what answers you want to be... vs should be... and then if you do the smaller/short forms... it's like "well, I'm both... but I know what you are going for [or at least what I think you are going for .... AND THUSLY THE PROBLEM THEREOF]... so I'll figure out what's best for what answer you're looking for.

With 16 types though, it's difficult to target the answers for any one specific type unless you know exactly which answers will score on what scales and the weight they're given.

I admit the short questionnaires are less than ideal. I linked to the short test because I find that people don't have much patience for these types of tests unless they're already familiar with them or want to take them seriously. I took the short test and it was accurate enough in my case to give me the same result the real MBTI does.

This is a big dick website after all :biggrin1:.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A test which gives the same result with different inputs? That sounds about as helpful as the Magic 8 Ball.

After contemplating the exciting possibilities of having 8 magic balls (or just 4 men with 2 balls each) I got on with the 'test' as it were.

I apparently am an INTJ-

[SIZE=+1]Your Type is [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2]INTJ-[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2]Strength of the preferences %[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Introverted=89% [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Intuitive=38%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Thinking=12%[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Judging=22%[/SIZE]
I seem to be in good company with the likes of:

Susan B. Anthony
Lance Armstrong
Arthur Ashe, tennis champion
Augustus Caesar (Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus)
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)
Dan Aykroyd (The Blues Brothers)
William J. Bennett, "drug czar"-Throw in his brother Bob and we'll have a 3-way!
William F. Buckley, Jr.
Raymond Burr (Perry Mason, Ironsides)
Chevy Chase (Cornelius Crane) (Fletch)-obviously this is wrong!
Katie Couric-again, this is wrong!
Phil Donahue
Michael Dukakis, governor of Mass., 1988 U.S. Dem. pres. candidate
Richard Gere (Pretty Woman)
Rudy Giuliani, former New York City mayor-Again, a mistake!
Greg Gumbel, television sportscaster
Hannibal, Carthaginian military leader-Nice!
Veronica Hamel (Hill Street Blues)
Angela Lansbury (Murder, She Wrote)
Orel Leonard Hershiser, IV
Peter Jennings
Charles Everett Koop
Ivan Lendl
C. S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia)
Joan Lunden
Edwin Moses, U.S. olympian (hurdles)
Martina Navratilova
Michelle Obama-I knew we shared a common bond!
General Colin Powell, US Secretary of State
Charles Rangel, U. S. Representative, D-N.Y.
Pernell Roberts (Bonanza)-A delicious tasty treat!
Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defense
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California
Josephine Tey (Elizabeth Mackintosh), mystery writer (Brat Farrar)

U.S. Presidents: Chester A. Arthur Calvin Coolidge Thomas Jefferson John F. Kennedy James K. Polk Woodrow Wilson Fictional:

Cassius (Julius Caesar)
Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice)
Gandalf the Grey (J. R. R. Tolkein's Middle Earth books)
Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs)-Okay, now this may not be such a good thing.
Professor Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes' nemesis
Ensign Ro (Star Trek--the Next Generation)
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (Hamlet)
George Smiley, John le Carre's master spy
Clarice Starling (Silence of the Lambs)