MySpace ruins lives.

BJH

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Another good reason not to get a Myspace profile.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Horrifying.

As an adult, I love myspace and am on it everyday.
It has introduced me to so much new music and some very special friends.

But for children it is downright horrifying!
I've heard other terrifying stories too. It's not the best place for your kids to play, that's for sure.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have a MySpace page. I don't hate any of my "friends". Thank God I don't have to feed them Thanksgiving dinner or have to buy Christmas presents for them all. :smile: I only have about 40. :tongue: Some have "friends" in the "tens and hundreds" of thousands. :rolleyes:

I think that kids have to go out more instead of being sheltered in the world of cyberspace. Parents have to monitor their kids' internet use better. I feel that kids have worse than when I was growing up. There are a lot of things in this world now that is so dang negative. There should be some positivity out there. It is sad that that (the daughter committing suicide. Now they are divorcing.) happened to the Meiers.:confused:

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
Another good reason not to get a Myspace profile.
I have a Myspace profile, but it's mostly empty and I can't remember the last time I logged in to it. Most of my family and friends (who are the only ones whose profiles I'd like to see) have 'em set to private and I can't be bothered to ask them to add me as a friend, so Myspace really holds no appeal for me.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
And the dumb ass parents who let a teen child on the internet without supervision.

Well said sir!!!

I have had friend requests from very young people that I am astounded are randomly searching myspace and making such requests...

If they are asking me, who else are they asking....

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Myspace has been very useful as far as keeping track of friends, family, coworkers (and some favorite artists and such), and it's great when I'm suddenly back in touch with someone I lost contact years ago, sometimes decades. The kids I am in contact with are ones that have been in my life since they were born. If they start that "repost this bulletin in five minutes" bullshit, I'll let them know to knock it off, of get off thew computer and go read a book.

Anyways, it's great for checking in and having others check in and know you're around, if they don't have any other way to contact you (unlikely, and anyone of absolute and real importance should be in your contact records anyway!).

But then, there's this sleazy side of it, just like any other internet community and considering it's a community with 200 million accounts and growing, that sleazy side is pretty big.

And the fact that anyone can make a profile, when you consider some of the TYPES of people out there.... yeah, myspace has its bugs. The spam, the phishing, the requests from complete strangers, the trolling, the predators, the low-lifes.... and a great deal of people get what they bring with them. And stupid, immature kids without good parenting, allowed to run wild on the internet bring a lot of idiotic shit with them.

Also.... for whatever reason someone no longer logs in to their account...death or imprisonment immediately come to mind....it's eerie to think that someone's myspace could very well outlast them.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media

Also.... for whatever reason someone no longer logs in to their account...death or imprisonment immediately come to mind....it's eerie to think that someone's myspace could very well outlast them.
I remember reading about this site in my newspaper earlier this year:

MyDeathSpace.com

It really is eerie when someone dies or is missing and their profile at Myspace lives on with activity from their friends.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
While I'm sure some facts have been left out of this story. I see two very important issues here which some of you are glossing over.

1) The parents who created the faux account to intentionally torment the deceased teen are Guilty. They may as well have put a gun to that poor childs head.:mad: Basically what they did was to Gaslight a teenager. What kind of adult, what kind of human being does something so nefarious to a child?!? :confused::mad: They should be charged with conspiracy to commit murder or at the very least manslaughter.

2) Megan, the deceased girl, was said to have ADHD and depression. I have no doubt she did not receive appropriate treatment for either of these two disorders. The state of mental healthcare in the USA is deplorable, and although there are thousands of child psychologists it seems this poor girl didn't have a good one. :frown1:

In addition, anti-depressants are only tested on adult males. It is not unusual for some anti-depressants to actually increase depression in adolescents and children and increase suicidal ideations.

Footnote:
Gaslight

The use of the phrase "to gaslight someone" seems to have fallen into disuse, as many folks my age aren't familiar with the meaning of "gaslighting."

Here's the best definition of gaslight as a verb.

---To "gaslight" someone is more than simply to create mischief. It means to manipulate a victim into questioning his or her own sanity and, if all goes well, to thereby actually drive the person insane. The term refers to the great 1944 suspense film "Gaslight" in which a greedy Victorian husband (Charles Boyer) conspires to convince his innocent wife (Ingrid Bergman) that she is going mad, the object being to make his planned murder of her (for her inheritance) appear to be suicide. Mysterious footsteps, "misplaced" objects, and inexplicably dimming gaslights (thus the title) are all part of his nefarious plan.

As a slang term for subtly trying to drive someone crazy, "gaslighting" was first noticed by lexicographers around 1956, though the term probably actually appeared as soon as the film (which was enormously popular) did.---

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I remember reading about this site in my newspaper earlier this year:

MyDeathSpace.com

It really is eerie when someone dies or is missing and their profile at Myspace lives on with activity from their friends.

It's morbid, but it's a very real thing.

Even MORE morbid is when the person with the myspace profile has been on the news, charged for a heinous crime..... Any of these names can be entered in Myspace's search engine, and with a little navigating, a profile can usually be found. For example.....

A child rapist/murder in Missouri in the recent news....
(WHen I first found that profile, there were 22 friends, now there's only 15, with hate comments.)

And his top friend? The 9 year-old victim's mother.

The second top friend? The victim's stepfather, also accused in the rape and murder. His profile's settings are set to private (viewable by friends only)

And the things one puts or allows to be put on their profile can be pretty revealing sometimes.

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Gaslight WAS a great film, NJQT.

The case of Megan is an example of bad parenting gone riot. Yeah, that bitch that created that account needs to be brought out into the light, and while I am not sue-happy in the least, if the courts won't prosecute, at least a civil case would make their lives even more miserable.

I'm a live and let live kind of guy, but that family has yet to face the consequences of their actions.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As is the case with any new technology that comes along the technology in itself is not inherently evil it is the way in which it is misused that causes the problems. Yes there are many children and adults that have been stalked and bullied online but that does not make the net evil. I get tired of my mother showing me tdatelines in a state of froth because of pedophiles who have used the net to ensnare children. I have a MYSPACE page and most of my friends on there are LPSG members of other people I know IRL. I tend not to respond to individuals. I dont know . That family who perpertrated the CRIME ( yes it was a crime) Should really be punished that was absolutely stunning. It is like idiotic parent who got out with their own kids on Halloween and vandalize others property in the name of fun. My heart goes out to Megan's parents.

Stephie

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I would not let my child join RMB until they were like 16 and even then I would make it a point to see who she is all talking to if not guess what im kicking her ass off the PC lol