Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I got drawn to this article because I'd heard JJ Abrams company just optioned it. News articles don't get optioned much, so I was intrigued, and was even moreso when I found out what it's about.

Without their knowledge, a family's newly remodeled apartment in the UES was "boobytrapped" by the possibly genius, possibly insane architect they hired and his cadre of artisans, artists, codebreakers and authors. While by all appearances their home is a fully-funtional luxury apartment for a family of 6, with tastefully eccentric and playfull decor... it took a year before the first "clue" was discovered, when the oldest son's friend realized with the seemingly random letters carved into the radiator in the boy's room was a code - and that the first word in the code was the boy's name!

As time dragged on various members of the family made other discoveries, like how two seemingly useless decorative door handles could be put together to open a secret compartment that contained a book - written specifically for this family (more specifically the 4 children) - introducing them to the mysteries of the house and people who once lived there (or previously owned their antique furniture).

They realized they were living in an incredibly complex savanger hunt designed to solve an elaborately structured mystery.

The ultimate revelation after solving all the puzzles: the opening of more secret portals in the den, behind which is a poem the father wrote about his family painted in gold calligraphy.

How fucking awesome is that? God, I think back to when my first creative sparks were flying as a child and can only imagine how an experience like this would have fueled my artistic mind. What a wonderful gift to these 4 children. It's definitely worth a read (and check out the slide show too).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/g...=1&scp=4&sq=Penelope+Green&st=nyt&oref=slogin

I got drawn to this article because I'd heard JJ Abrams company just optioned it. News articles don't get optioned much, so I was intrigued, and was even moreso when I found out what it's about.

Without their knowledge, a family's newly remodeled apartment in the UES was "boobytrapped" by the possibly genius, possibly insane architect they hired and his cadre of artisans, artists, codebreakers and authors. While by all appearances their home is a fully-funtional luxury apartment for a family of 6, with tastefully eccentric and playfull decor... it took a year before the first "clue" was discovered, when the oldest son's friend realized with the seemingly random letters carved into the radiator in the boy's room was a code - and that the first word in the code was the boy's name!

As time dragged on various members of the family made other discoveries, like how two seemingly useless decorative door handles could be put together to open a secret compartment that contained a book - written specifically for this family (more specifically the 4 children) - introducing them to the mysteries of the house and people who once lived there (or previously owned their antique furniture).

They realized they were living in an incredibly complex savanger hunt designed to solve an elaborately structured mystery.

The ultimate revelation after solving all the puzzles: the opening of more secret portals in the den, behind which is a poem the father wrote about his family painted in gold calligraphy.

How fucking awesome is that? God, I think back to when my first creative sparks were flying as a child and can only imagine how an experience like this would have fueled my artistic mind. What a wonderful gift to these 4 children. It's definitely worth a read (and check out the slide show too).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/g...=1&scp=4&sq=Penelope+Green&st=nyt&oref=slogin

I read this the other day and was just amazed.

When I was a kid I hoped that I wouldn't grow into a boring adult who wouldn't like all the cool stuff I liked then.

Well guess what? If and when I get the cash, I want a house complete with secret passages and hidden fun stuff like this. Things like this aren't all that odd. Before the days of mass-produced housing these sorts of codes and hidden places weren't all that unusual. If you go through museum houses from the 19th and early 20th century, docents may point them out to you. They're little details personalizing the house to the owner.

I also want a guest room I can have rigged to be haunted complete with fake thunderstorms like at the Disney haunted mansions (FYI you can get wallpaper made with patterns from the Disney haunted mansions).

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I hadn't heard of this story before, but like you I read about it for the first time when JJ Abrahams was attached to it. It sound crazy and amazing at the same time. Theres something about it that is really drawing me in, knowing Abrhams there will be some long drawn out explanation for it. Really looking forward to the show.

D

deleted3782

You can sort of get this when buying any old place, especially well preserved places. Lots of things carry meaning and stories...from doorknobs, to room placement, old closed up doorways, attics. Even materials such as nails, lumber with saw marks, and glass...have associations and stories related to their date of manufacture and the history of an old building and how it has evolved over time. I think this is a big reason I enjoy historic preservation so much. Taking the time to "read" a place makes almost any old site fascinating.

Or maybe I am just easily amused!

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have built 2 log cabins and purposely included hidden "features" for the current/future occupants to discover. A famous baseball player lives in one of them now. Don't know if they have found it yet.

I was thinking I was the only one that liked cool hidden stuff like that in houses/garages.

The next house I build will have all kinds of hidden rooms and passageways that will not be on the blueprints.

I was thinking of something along the lines of having hydraulic or magnetic activated hidden panels/doors.