Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
besides the "flaming" which I envision is a small percentage of the gay pop, the article is of no surprise to me.

Sadly, outside of sites like this, you are in the minority :frown1:

My hope is that with more public articles like this and education, that will change.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I second that agreement and move the motion forward: there is no such thing as a "gay" lifestyle.

^^This.

I take care of my kids, my spouse, work, pay taxes, watch sports, do yardwork and housework. Please show me what among those activities is gay?

Thanks for posting this, CountryGuy!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the media and many of the television shows that have just recently presented the gay community to the world are largely responsible for this stupidity. I think that those of us who live work and socialize with gay friends and colleagues realize that the "gayness" of someone is just one part of who they are and that the gay community is as diverse as any other. THis is like watching "Good TImes" in the 70's and thinking that all black people lived in the projects or that they ate Kentucky Fried Chicken while singing gospel at family picnics.. Or watching Will and Grace or Queer eye and thinking that all gay men are uber stylish overachievers. Not a bad stereotype but a stereotype just the same. As people stop coming to see the gay community as the "exotic" of the month, I think we will see less of these kind of stereotypic images.

S

superbot

I think the tv series 'Queer A Folk' (UK version) covered just about every stereotype in the book.It did gay people no favours what so ever....

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

If I have one problem with the article is the hate at the end.

First you have to understand it is HUMAN NATURE to fear and dislike the unknown to misunderstood. That actually serves a purpose in keeping people safe as unknown things can kill you.

Now, though, we live in a civilized society so that instinct to fear the unknown need not be as strong but it is.

So, in the end I think it better to get the word out that gay is another form of normal aka just plain normal. People are born gay. Educate people on this and in time things change.

To start name calling.....ie bigot....is to do to others what has been done to gays - name calling and hate.

It is wrong both ways! And to borrow a well known phrase, two wrongs won't make a right - ever.

So stop the reverse hating. Yes, gays have an uphill battle. It is unfortunate. But handle it better to make a better world for future generations and avoid a backlash...

Anyways...flame me away.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
If I have one problem with the article is the hate at the end.

First you have to understand it is HUMAN NATURE to fear and dislike the unknown to misunderstood. That actually serves a purpose in keeping people safe as unknown things can kill you.

Now, though, we live in a civilized society so that instinct to fear the unknown need not be as strong but it is.

So, in the end I think it better to get the word out that gay is another form of normal aka just plain normal. People are born gay. Educate people on this and in time things change.

To start name calling.....ie bigot....is to do to others what has been done to gays - name calling and hate.

It is wrong both ways! And to borrow a well known phrase, two wrongs won't make a right - ever.

So stop the reverse hating. Yes, gays have an uphill battle. It is unfortunate. But handle it better to make a better world for future generations and avoid a backlash...

Anyways...flame me away.
Im not going to flame you, but there has been enough education on homosexuality, the vast majority of people understand that it perfectly natural for it to happen and that people are born gay, and Aids and HIV are not gay diseases etc etc

However, there are a group of people, a minority of people, who are becoming ever louder, who choose to ignore this and live in blissful ignorance and hate.

The fact they are getting louder and attracting people is worrying. The time for education is ending, the time for action against these people is now.

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lemon. I disagree.

Take the transgendered brain. It was only recently that people who had died who had claimed to be transgenered had their brains inspected. It was found that the physical make-up of their brain matched the sex of what they claimed to be 'inside' and did not match their genitals. That is a huge discovery - and very recent.

If you are here now and gay I'm sure that waiting doesn't feel like a great choice but becoming hateful or rude or trying to outshout the haters does more harm than good. You risk a backlash that sets back the cause or causes the stigma of being gay to last longer.

I think gays at some point have to accept that some people will never accept it and in all honesty, that is ok too. What isn't OK is too hurt someone because they are gay - and I mean that physically, mentally or financially.