Nail polish in your gas tank

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nail polish, or nail polish remover? :biggrin1:

I'm skeptical. There were similar claims (better fuel economy, reduced emissions, higher octane/better performance) in the 1970s about adding mothballs (the naphthalene kind) to the tank. If those claims had been valid, it would likely be a popular thing today.

I doubt that gasoline will be improved much more over the years. The only way to get more efficiency is re-engineering the engine. Significant additional gains will have to come from changing the fuel, rather than putting in more additives and adjuncts.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
DC_DEEP makes a good point...sometimes syntax makes all the difference.

I promise you that if you put nail polish in your gas tank, it will drop your gas mileage to zero. Your car likely won't go anywhere, and any number divided into zero is zero.

Polish remover on the other hand, is acetone. The notion of adding this to gasoline is pretty old, and pretty much debunked at this point. Do a little searching on "acetone gasoline additive" to see what I mean.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC_DEEP makes a good point...sometimes syntax makes all the difference.

I promise you that if you put nail polish in your gas tank, it will drop your gas mileage to zero. Your car likely won't go anywhere, and any number divided into zero is zero.

Polish remover on the other hand, is acetone. The notion of adding this to gasoline is pretty old, and pretty much debunked at this point. Do a little searching on "acetone gasoline additive" to see what I mean.
:biggrin1: Thanks, HG. By the way, it wasn't syntax, it was semantics! For those who dont' think semantics is important, here's the reason why it is!

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Read the "Double your gas mileage" thread. If the nail polish is acetone based, it might help, but you're actually more endangering your fuel lines through corrosion than you would be helping yourself.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Read the "Double your gas mileage" thread. If the nail polish is acetone based, it might help, but you're actually more endangering your fuel lines through corrosion than you would be helping yourself.
Well, the acetone in the polish remover is one thing... all the polymers in the nail polish itself almost certainly would cause problems.