Nail polish in your gas tank

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Kassokilleri2ff, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Kassokilleri2ff

2. viking1

Gold Member

Pure bull.

3. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Nail polish, or nail polish remover? :biggrin1:

I'm skeptical. There were similar claims (better fuel economy, reduced emissions, higher octane/better performance) in the 1970s about adding mothballs (the naphthalene kind) to the tank. If those claims had been valid, it would likely be a popular thing today.

I doubt that gasoline will be improved much more over the years. The only way to get more efficiency is re-engineering the engine. Significant additional gains will have to come from changing the fuel, rather than putting in more additives and adjuncts.

4. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have a proposal.... You try it, send me your facts (true and documented), analysis and other pertinent information and then I will try it out on a friends car before using my own. ;) Sound like a plan???

5. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Snake oil.

Besides, even if it works, buying nail polish remover in those little bottles isn't likely to save anybody a lot of money.

6. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    DC_DEEP makes a good point...sometimes syntax makes all the difference.

I promise you that if you put nail polish in your gas tank, it will drop your gas mileage to zero. Your car likely won't go anywhere, and any number divided into zero is zero.

Polish remover on the other hand, is acetone. The notion of adding this to gasoline is pretty old, and pretty much debunked at this point. Do a little searching on "acetone gasoline additive" to see what I mean.

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

:biggrin1: Thanks, HG. By the way, it wasn't syntax, it was semantics! For those who dont' think semantics is important, here's the reason why it is!

8. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

Read the "Double your gas mileage" thread. If the nail polish is acetone based, it might help, but you're actually more endangering your fuel lines through corrosion than you would be helping yourself.

9. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Well, the acetone in the polish remover is one thing... all the polymers in the nail polish itself almost certainly would cause problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted