Naked at the YMCA

cedarizzo

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It feels sort of weird to "Like" a post that is actually some sad or disappointing news... But, I "Liked" it because you made the effort to describe the history and the current situation with regards to that fondly memorable YMCA building.

A/B
I completely understand. The building was a historic building and it was sad to see it torn down. The building was built in 1910 for the Phillipe family. The YMCA bought the building in 1938 and they sold it in 2011 to an individual (I originally thought it was a group) that ran the main part of the building as a fitness center for 3 years and was hoping to covert the rest back to a single house. In 2015 he had to close down the pool and sold the property in 2017 to the school district. In 2019, the school district tore down a bunch of houses/buildings which included the 3 mansions that were around/over 100 years old (the YMCA building/Phillipe mansion along with 2 other mansions). It was sad to see so much history be torn down.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I completely understand. The building was a historic building and it was sad to see it torn down. The building was built in 1910 for the Phillipe family. The YMCA bought the building in 1938 and they sold it in 2011 to an individual (I originally thought it was a group) that ran the main part of the building as a fitness center for 3 years and was hoping to covert the rest back to a single house. In 2015 he had to close down the pool and sold the property in 2017 to the school district. In 2019, the school district tore down a bunch of houses/buildings which included the 3 mansions that were around/over 100 years old (the YMCA building/Phillipe mansion along with 2 other mansions). It was sad to see so much history be torn down.

As Joni Mitchell said in her great 1970 song, "Big Yellow Taxi":

Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got,
Till it's
gone.

:weary_face:

Last edited:

MrTMT

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This reminds me of one local YMCA that went through similar things that you described. One thing different is that the YMCA in my local area has a historic building (over 100 years old) that was put on a "Historical List", which I think is the only way it got preserved. It has a beautiful design in the front of the building. The rest of the building was added on later and very weird shaped and awkward layout. Sad to see a lot of people who worked there got displayed and spread out all over other YMCAs, but not the building. Some institution bought the spot and it got demolished (with the exception of the original building) to convert into a children hospital. I drove by it everyday to/from work. It's about time for a "new life" there

Matttttttttttttt

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The YMCA I belonged to was in a really old building that had been a mansion/hospital/nursing home before it was turned into the Y. The 18 and over men's locker room was small, weirdly laid out with the lockers in different rooms and the wet area (showers, steam room, sauna and whirlpool) in a central spot and the workout room on the other side of the wet area.

The only place that clothes were required was the workout area. And even then, I saw a couple of older guys would go in there completely naked to get a drink form the water fountain. But those guys walked around everywhere in the locker room completely naked. A few guys would wear their underwear/swimsuits in the locker room, but that was really rare. The swimming pool was connected to the all ages men's locker room and it was difficult to get to the over 18 locker room from the pool, if you didn't know the code to unlock the door between the locker rooms, you would have to walk all the way around the lobby. A majority of the men would wear their towels, but would be naked for the shower or whirlpool areas but wear their towel into the steam room and sauna. And a few of us, me included, would walk around naked everywhere but the workout area. I never took my towel into the steam room and I would take it into the sauna with me but fold it up and use it as a seat.

I stopped going to the Y when the management team announced that they were working really hard on getting a new building. The building was going to be on the edge of town, but really far away from where I was living at the time. In order to save money, they stopped taking care of the steam room, it was constantly breaking down. And then the whirlpool broke down and they said they refused to have it fixed. The cleaning in the over 18 locker room became very sporadic and it started to smell really bad in the locker room. That is when I dropped my membership. It took them a few months before they started construction on the new building. After it opened, the closed down the old Y. A few years later, they demolished the building. I heard that the wet areas at the new Y were all co-ed. You could no longer be naked.

I know exactly which YMCA you are talking about... I used to work there when I was 16... I always wondered what it was like in the 18+ areas...

Reactions: cedarizzo

cedarizzo

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know exactly which YMCA you are talking about... I used to work there when I was 16... I always wondered what it was like in the 18+ areas...
I was only in the all ages locker room a few times when we would walk through it to get to the swimming pool. The 2 locker rooms were very different.

HorseHung40's

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
We never had nudity in the swimming pool in the town, where I spent my childhood. Sadly, the town was infested with hypocritical holy rollers.

When the idea for single-gender nudity was proposed, members of the town's "moral minority" raised the vile voices in their version of righteous indignation, and the plan was nixed.

Ironically, each one of those persons, who deemed him or herself to be our town's moral authorities, were all exposed over the following 18 months in some of sexual deviance. Everyone else in town had fun, pointing and laughing at these charlatans. Out of sheer humiliation, each one left town very quickly, after having been exposed.

Smoothnudistinwi

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I went to a YMCA summer camp about three years in a row. It was on a lake in MN. In the early evening before bed, they would fire up a wood sauna down by the beach. Most went but it wasn’t mandatory as I recall. You had to be naked to go in the sauna, it was huge and really hot. Once you couldn’t take it anymore, you could go out and jump in the lake, nude of course. They allowed us to do this as much as we wanted during the time allotted. I also remember there were usually a lot of boners. The older, developed male counselors were naked as well. All our young eyes were on their huge(in our minds) swinging cocks and balls! Not even sure if the camp still exists but if so, I doubt they would allow that these days!

Uncutsouthernboy

Superior Member
Media
We never had nudity in the swimming pool in the town, where I spent my childhood. Sadly, the town was infested with hypocritical holy rollers.

When the idea for single-gender nudity was proposed, members of the town's "moral minority" raised the vile voices in their version of righteous indignation, and the plan was nixed.

Ironically, each one of those persons, who deemed him or herself to be our town's moral authorities, were all exposed over the following 18 months in some of sexual deviance. Everyone else in town had fun, pointing and laughing at these charlatans. Out of sheer humiliation, each one left town very quickly, after having been exposed.

Kind of like, "Harper Valley PTA"?

steveh9

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I am not a rich man. However, if I was, my Dream is to create my own gay gym/bathhouse. My gym would be for male adults aged 18 and older only (trans men would be welcome as well). It would be designed based on the old style architecture of a late 60s YMCA with all those fabulous maze like crevices and secret spots, and since I would want it to be both a legitimate gym as well as a welcoming gay bathhouse, I would provide two separate locker rooms, one would be for the dudes who really just wanna shower after their workout and leave, while the other would be for the boys looking to play around and have some fun. I’d have open showers and saunas and steams,
Mirrors everywhere, open trough urinals with, of course, mirrors in front of them. I would also have tons of free condoms all over the locker room and I’d decorate the gym with all sorts of classic gay magazines like old Playgirls or Blue Boy Magazines. If anyone has many many many thousands of dollars that they would be willing to hand over to me, I could start my gym right away!

I've been to many gay bathhouses and most are like this, Also open 24 hours a day so i can get dick anytime i want it.

chrisjason

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
nT_82fed5b053q6j79s7z2a74fn.jpg

How many boners can you find?

NIMBUS

Legendary Member
Media
nT_82fed5b053q6j79s7z2a74fn.jpg

How many boners can you find?

It's a VERY interesting picture! Would love to know the context. In fact, the more relevant question is probably "how many can you find that are fully, normally, flaccid?".

Almost every cock in this picture is (at least) semi-erect, with five or six absolutely fully erect in front of their friends or teammates.

I agree with your reaction to the prudes in your community. The basics in Christianity work for me, but your holy-roller community leadership seems to have failed to read the good book. First thing we see in the Scriptures is God in the garden with two nude people. These folks didn’t start wearing clothes until after they were made to fall by satin (evil).

Key Point : Appears to me that holy-rollers are doing the devils work if they prohibit (same sex) nudity. That wasn’t Gods plan.

Not to mention that same sex nudity was a common lifestyle through the Greek / Roman times when many of the Scriptures were written. They were the ones who coined the term gymnasium (Greek: γυμνάσιον) in Ancient Greece functioned as a training facility for competitors in public game(s). It was also a place for socializing and engaging in intellectual pursuits. The name comes from the Ancient Greek term gymnós meaning "naked

Truth is I don’t think nudity would work today. There is far too much ridicule and homophobic violence possible in today’s culture.