Naked Men in Movies?

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Spent a few days with my brothers in the Poconos. We talked, drank, swam and worked out. We had a lot of discussions. One topic we discussed was the lack of male nudity in movies. We were talking about celebrity and the fact that they get the best trainers and are paid to be in shape. While the three of us are comfortable being naked with each other & in front of others, wondered why celebrities such as Clooney, Crowe, Pitt, Diesel, Bloom and others rarely show their bodies in film.
If a man is in a movie and he is in his underwear, you bet it will be boxers.
I remember seeing Richard Gere in American Gigalo and he stood in the film naked & talking. It was nonsexual and to me (as a kid) I just thought Wow he is one tuff guy. I read that actors have clauses in the contracts "no nudity", "ass double must be used", etc. I just wonder why they are so afraid to show their bodies on screen.
Any thoughts?
Jake

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Because even on a big 40 foot movie screen a small penis is still a small penis.

Media
I just wonder why they are so afraid to show their bodies on screen. Any thoughts?
Maybe it is for the same reason you—and I—don't have a gallery at LPSG—professional reasons in my case (although I did have a gallery early on), and for whatever reason in your case. People have different comfort levels on that issue and different criteria for making the decision: it may have nothing to do with modesty, and it is just simply their choice as to what they wish to reveal.

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I still remember Jan-Michael Vincent naked in "Buster and Billie" in the 70's. Even Playboy showed a pic from the film (the scene only lasted a few seconds). He was hot, with an average-sized softie. But boy, did he suddenly go downhill soon afterwards. Bunch of low-budget films, personal life fell apart. Oh. well..

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I still remember Jan-Michael Vincent naked in "Buster and Billie" in the 70's. Even Playboy showed a pic from the film (the scene only lasted a few seconds). He was hot, with an average-sized softie. But boy, did he suddenly go downhill soon afterwards. Bunch of low-budget films, personal life fell apart. Oh. well..
That's what happens if you show a small dick on screen. That coupled with Drugs Booze and no real talent!
Beauty Fades...dumb is forever

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
I'd put the blame on the media - celebs can't go outside for a pint of milk without being hounded for not having had a 2 hour makeover before hand.
Imagine how they'd react to an A-listers genitals(regardless of size).

And yes, there needs to be a lot more non-sexual nudity in film :)

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know the answer to your question but there definitely should be more male nudity in movies. Much more. Not just ass shots. Full frontal. In all its glory.

:biggrin1:
There is a book Called "Full Frontal" Out of print but can ordered on line. It outlines Mainstream, Foreign and Special Interest Flix with FF.
Some juicy pics too!

gregps

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
TitanicJake, you raise an interesting question. But look at yourself. You don't have any photos of yourself nude posted on this site. Why did you choose not to do so? Comfort? Professional? Other? Perhaps the same rationale applies to others, stars included?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
TitanicJake, you raise an interesting question. But look at yourself. You don't have any photos of yourself nude posted on this site. Why did you choose not to do so? Comfort? Professional? Other? Perhaps the same rationale applies to others, stars included?
All great minds work alike. I was just going to post, but I was looking up the word tough in the dictionary!

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I get your point about me and my lack of pictures. I wrestle with putting pics on (no pun intended) because I feel I have a lot to lose if someone I know personally finds out. I guess I feel celebritys/actors have "nothing to lose" by showing off their bodies. But maybe it is just men. I mean P Hilton had a sex tape & with no true talent made a movie, had a tv show, and cut a cd. It didn't hurt her.
I wonder if it is our country that doesn't want male nudity or just the "boys club" in hollywood.
Jake

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
European film has had much more casual male and female nudity for decades. In Europe there are also many more advertisements featuring nudity. There are many more nude beaches, often official ones in municipally owned areas. Most European countires have no issue with gays in the miltary. Several have national domestic partnerships or marriage equality laws.

The USA culture is very ambivalent about sexuality, simultaneously preoccupied and uncomfortable (think of Dana Carveys character "Church Lady" on SNL). The mainstream movies play to that audience.

Check out "Short Bus." It's in the videostores now.

Dave

DM34

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
My theory is that male stars can more easily say no to nudity because they have the political clout in the industry. When women try to break into the business, they're morely likely to be asked to show some skin (either in front of the camera or on the casting couch, or both). I mean, Jane Fonda starred in 'Barbarella'.... I ask you.

You don't see as many naked men on screen because they aren't asked, and the industry leadership is still dominated by a bunch of straight, sometimes homophobic men.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My theory is similar to DM34's. It's all about who's in power and wants to see what.

This reminds me of a seemingly throwaway line in a Piers Anthony "Xanth" novel (for those who don't know, a fantasy series set in a magical analog of Florida, complete with nubile young women running around all over the place).

A character is musing to himself--I believe it's in the third novel, Castle Roogna--about the causes of the eventual extinction of fauns (but not nymphs, the female analog) in Xanth. He concludes that there's always a market for pretty naked girls, but not for handsome nude males. (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the gist of the comment.)

I ask you, is that the author (a straight man) talking? Hmmm. Could be. :rolleyes:

NCbear (who likes watching soap operas occasionally because the men in those shows are the focus, so they're often shown bare-chested or even more nude while the women are buttoned up to the neck) :biggrin1: :cool:

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I think it's more because you aren't allowed to show male nudity in the US because of FCC standards? If you show it, it has to be a premium service (ala HBO) and then it's softcore....if it's erect, it becomes hardcore.

Or something like that.

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
the male flaccid penis can be shown full frontal with an R rating.
Once upon a time I worked in Hollywood.
Anyone see Tom Criuses dick in All the right moves?
Tom Berenger in At Play in the Field of the Lord?
Leo Dicaprio did nudes as well.
Guess it is all in the past.
Jake