Naked & Silent!

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I belong to a few gyms. One is a hole in the wall with weights, a few machines, and a steam room. It is bare bones (No carpeting). It is men only but I think a woman could go there if she wished. I'd say it is mostly singles guys 20s & 30s. We spot each other, we talk in the showers, we talk in the steam room and we even talk pissing in the trough. I'm not saying it is a gabfest but we look each other in the eye and at times we make small talk. As crummy as the building is, it is very comfortable.

I also go to LA Fitness and I have to say it is so different. No one really makes eye contact with you in the showers or locker room. My buddy and I played some racquetball and were walking and talking as we walked into the locker room, and it was so silent in there with so many guys facing the lockers we just stopped talking and stripped and showered almost in silence.

When I'm alone at the LA Fitness gym or my crappy old gym I walk into the steamroom naked and sit alone in the corner. In LA fitness they guys are usually covered and it is total silence. In my other gym it is quiet but everyone is naked and a bit of friendly small talk is made.

I know this topic has been hit on before, but I just seem to continue to feel frustrated with the silence of naked men and their modesty. It is so odd to go from one gym to the other. Guys walk around and stand and talk naked at my one gym and I find it very relaxing and freeing. At my other gym, it is hold that towel around your waist and get those baggy old boxers on then relase the towel. I met one old guy in the steam room and we talked politics. We took our converstation to the open shower area (It's small vs. the closed shower area at LA Fitness) and we talked as we showered and got dressed. I even shook his had when i left. Was he gay? WHo knows. I just like talking as men.

I continue to fight to instill a great difference between nudity & sex with my athletes. I feel I am losing the battle.

Jake

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Good post Jake. The hole in the wall gym is how it should be in the locker room with guys. I wouldn't worry about LA Fitness and all of the silence. You and your racquetball partner might have lightened everyone's mood by being yourselves while naked. I have had many good conversations with men at my gym in the locker room ranging from politics to travel to general what needs to be done around the house kind of stuff. Sometimes its in the open showers or steam room or jacuzzi or standing naked shaving or drying off and getting dressed. It's like being at Starbucks, but with just men and naked. It is natural and healthy and nothing wrong with it.
Per your athletes though, kids tend to lean to the modest/unsure side. They have to learn that it is okay and fine and healthy to be naked around other guys and not be so concerned with all of the things that boys are concerned about when being in the locker room. I hope you are able to help them not take things so seriously. Good luck.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The only time I have seen that (pardon the expression) is in the AM at my local L.A. Fitness..

When I worked those hours there was a fairly good group of men, the 'regulars' that all chatted and on occasion encouraged one another. Nice to chat (or as you said hear TALKING in the locker room). I was especially impressed/pleased when a (very) heavy man started coming regularly... the group as a whole seemed to really go out of their way to enourage this guy (btw- he has HUGE balls)... he really struggled to keep coming and their seemed to be an unconsious decision to encourage him to coming back...he did...was nice to see (the first couple of weeks we were worried)

I really miss that comraderie. Amazing to see mixed/straight men stripping, adjusting, etc....

(not sure if this matters but most were 'straight"- I am bi but never mentioned it- I really think that might have changed the dynamic) but did allow me to get a GREAT view... we even has some 'chats' about things..

tsmusician

Just Browsing
Media
I was also surprised when I started at LA Fitness. Bally's wasn't the most social place but so many guys at LAF seem to think that nudity in a locker room is not allowed. And it seems to be mostly the younger guys. I don't get it.

Primal_Savage

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm a trainer at another national chain of gyms and can readily understand the silence, lack of eye contact, etc. I know the phrase is trite, but rules are rules and I think most guys over interpret their meaning to the point where they're uptight. That said, I too am a closeted bisexual and often wonder how many of the members are like me and not really 100% str8. I don't waste my time worrying about it as I generally do my resistance training during off hours at another gym where comraderie reigns and the guys in general are much more relaxed.

mister_y

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't live in the US so I don't exactly know how people act towards nudity in public. But I can imagine (am quite sure) that American's are far more prudish than for example Europeans. And of course not those who are on LPSG.
In the gym's I used to go to, nudity was very common. I have rarely seen guys covering up their manhood when they took a shower or changed into different clothes. But there were people that didn't take a shower, who just went in and out the lockerroom for the lockers.
Talking and acting like everybody is everybody's friend is something different. I have to admit that I won't easily start a converstation with a guy I don't know when we are both naked. I'm just in the lockerroom to take a shower and change (okay, also a little bit showing off). Not to make friends or something. When somebody starts talking to me, I will answer him and continue the conversation. But it's just that I'm not there with the purpose of making friends so why should I start a conversation with everybody? However I do, greet guys I see often in the gym, and sometimes talk with them, also outside the lockerroom. But starting a conversation to make friends in the lockerroom with somebody I have never seen when we are both naked is something else.

D_Terry_Misue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Great obserations Jake!

I work out at the local Y and also my college gym. At the Y, the crowd is a little older (40's +) with a majority hispanic but some white and black guys. They all talk constantly in the showers, sauna, steam room. No matter what time/day there is always a group of guys chatting and talking. And I see regulars but also a lot of guys I have not seen before. Anyway, though I am younger, I have had some great conversations with a lot of these guys. Nothing gay, just guys chatting in the locker room like guys should.

My school gym is silent. Of course, most guys dont even use the showers, but those that do never say a word! I sure after games, etc the sports teams are more comfortable but the average college student appears very uncomfortable in the locker room.