'National Action Against Obesity'

homelessmandril

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I just found out about this on the IMDb.com news page, and for the first time in...ooh, several days now, I'm fuming with rage:

MeMe Roth Appearances

Would someone else please watch some of these clips and agree that this woman is the worst kind of fascist scum and should be immediately consigned to a secure hospital?

If you can't be bothered, she's the founder of an organisation which believes a) in government action to impose legal limitations on what people can eat, b) that the entertainment media encourages young girls to be OVERweight, c) lots of other equally stupid shit. Her argument that people have a duty to control their weight because obesity imposes social costs in terms of public health spending doesn't even stand up here in the UK, where we have a comprehensive free-at-point-of-care health system!

Please tell me y'all agree this woman is pure evil?

PS the clip 'American Idol Child Obesity' is the best example....she thinks that singer is fucking obese!!!

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Aren't there more serious problems in the world? :rolleyes:

If obesity imposes social costs on the rest of society in the form of increased health care costs, then smoking should have been made illegal by now, too. And I should be getting tax credits for my gym attendance. And so on.

Sounds like the junk food industry needs to hire more lobbyists... the way the tobacco industry did.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I quite agree with MeMe, why should we shoulder the burden for health care for people who can't stop stuffing their faces. No one can argue that obesity is as unhealthy as anorexia yet it's ok for the press to lambast the likes of Lindsay Lohan and Keira Knightley and size 0 models, yet if you rag on someone for being overweight you're seen as being politically incorrect.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The word "obesity" is meaningless. Not too long ago it had a medical meaning, albeit with a definition which changed on occasion. But it is now a political word, and is without useful definition. Use something else when ranting.

goldiron

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is odd that the government would be considered the proper venue for problems of this nature or for nannyism.

First and foremost the government itself self-defines obese with law and regulation of minority sub-groups within our society.

I am not certain that this person is evil but I can assure you, with certainty, that she may have some control issues.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I quite agree with MeMe, why should we shoulder the burden for health care for people who can't stop stuffing their faces.

It's not as simple as "can't stop stuffing their faces" and you should consider yourself lucky that you aren't overweight, especially if it's not something you have to keep an eye on all the time. With your logic, it's actually old people that should be cut off from healthcare since the elderly account for most of the healthcare expenditures in the western world. If we just stopped treating any sort of disease over the age of say, 60, healthcare costs would be enormously reduced, probably by more than 50%. I don't have an exact number at the moment but I can dig one up if you want it.

No one can argue that obesity is as unhealthy as anorexia yet it's ok for the press to lambast the likes of Lindsay Lohan and Keira Knightley and size 0 models, yet if you rag on someone for being overweight you're seen as being politically incorrect.

The reason that the press doesn't lambaste fat actresses and models are because there aren't any! If you're fat, you're ugly, and you can't sell clothes or movies. Still, look at what the media did to Tyra banks when she gained weight. She was savaged unmercifully-- and she wasn't overweight by the medical definition using the stats she gave and a BMI calculator. What does Rosie O'Donnell get more shit for, being fat or being a lesbian? Everyone that criticizes her for her opinions still need to get that she's a fatass dyke into their commentary. I was just reading an article in some trash magazine about how Coutney Love is too fat and needs to stay out of bikinis. What you just said is patently untrue.

B_HappyHammer1977

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If people can't control they're weight - ** and by control, I mean medically/morbidly obese people, you know the "you are going to die soon if you don't stop eating, you fat bastard" people ** - maybe they could do with a bit of help. Clearly their 'friends' and family aren't helping, so why shouldn't local health authorities intervene? If a herion addict needed to get clean the doctor would prescribe methodone, or put him in a drying out clinic. Don't say it's not the same, because it is. Until you've had eating disorders, you just don't know. Addiction to food is everybit as dangerous as drug addiction and in some cases serious illness and death is quicker at showing it's face than in drugs.

homelessmandril

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
If people can't control they're weight - ** and by control, I mean medically/morbidly obese people, you know the "you are going to die soon if you don't stop eating, you fat bastard" people ** - maybe they could do with a bit of help. Clearly their 'friends' and family aren't helping, so why shouldn't local health authorities intervene? If a herion addict needed to get clean the doctor would prescribe methodone, or put him in a drying out clinic. Don't say it's not the same, because it is. Until you've had eating disorders, you just don't know. Addiction to food is everybit as dangerous as drug addiction and in some cases serious illness and death is quicker at showing it's face than in drugs.

The doctor would prescribe methadone IF the addict requested it, so far being an addict isn't a criminal offence. My complaint is that this type of thing transcends lifestyle advice when you try to put it into law, eg imposing statutory limits on portion sizes in restaurants (which Ms Roth agrees is a marvellous idea). Aside from the obvious hypocrisy re: alcohol and tobacco, I think it's extremely dangerous when government starts forming ideas about what is in the individual's best interests. It's a slippery slope and frankly I don't trust politicians not to use 'the public interest' as justification for illiberal leglislation.

On a tangent the British Parliament recently voted to exempt it's members from the Freedom of Information Act (meaning they no longer have to disclose how much public money they spend in personal expenses) claiming that this was the only way to safeguard the confidentiality of citizens' correspondances with their representatives in government. This is just the type of reason why I don't want these cocksuckers telling me what to eat.

PS today Home Office minister Vernon Coaker said: "It's almost regarded as acceptable to drink to get drunk and we want to change that attitude." - if I don't commit a criminal offence why the hell shouldn't I be allowed to get drunk?

PPS Happyhammer what chance of you getting Darren Bent?

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
I do not agree with her,
but on the opposite side of the coin,
I have NO LOVE for fat people.

"oh DJG, your an asshole!"

no... let me explain...

I used to be MORBIDLY OBESE...
yes.. it is true..

I was over 300 lbs just two years ago...

what did I do?
I PUT DOWN THE FORK!!!!

in most cases Obesity is a lifestyle CHOICE..

in some cases it is caused by a glandular condition..

but 99.0 of the time it is caused by taking in more calories than your body can burn, and the extra calories are stored as fat.
period.

I won a body transformation contest, two years ago, and since then I have been counseling people that are in the position I was in, helping them lose weight and reach thier weight loss goals.

It wasn't easy, but it was a choice I made for myself.

and jeez, it feels great...

bring on the hate mail you haters.

homelessmandril

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I do not agree with her,
but on the opposite side of the coin,
I have NO LOVE for fat people.

"oh DJG, your an asshole!"

no... let me explain...

I used to be MORBIDLY OBESE...
yes.. it is true..

I was over 300 lbs just two years ago...

what did I do?
I PUT DOWN THE FORK!!!!

in most cases Obesity is a lifestyle CHOICE..

in some cases it is caused by a glandular condition..

but 99.0 of the time it is caused by taking in more calories than your body can burn, and the extra calories are stored as fat.
period.

I won a body transformation contest, two years ago, and since then I have been counseling people that are in the position I was in, helping them lose weight and reach thier weight loss goals.

It wasn't easy, but it was a choice I made for myself.

and jeez, it feels great...

bring on the hate mail you haters.

Good, well done (seriously, if I was being sarcastic I would have capitalised it), but I don't want to rule out the possibility of there being people who are perfectly rational and in control of themselves and still choose to be overweight because they like food enough to overlook all the negative stuff. If I ever met anyone like that I would have a lot of respect for them; but I think people like this Roth bitch (who incidentally has no professional qualifications to back up her shit) believe that everyone has a moral duty to please her aesthetic sensibilities. Whore.

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
Good, well done (seriously, if I was being sarcastic I would have capitalised it), but I don't want to rule out the possibility of there being people who are perfectly rational and in control of themselves and still choose to be overweight because they like food enough to overlook all the negative stuff. If I ever met anyone like that I would have a lot of respect for them; but I think people like this Roth bitch (who incidentally has no professional qualifications to back up her shit) believe that everyone has a moral duty to please her aesthetic sensibilities. Whore.

I can dig it...
there is a difference of being overweight, and being obese..
right now.. I am 6' and 176lbs.
I am overweight.
NOT Obese.

people can do whatever they want, I dont give a shit.

but when a CHILD is put in mortal danger by thier parents, people have to step in.

homelessmandril

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
PS..
look at this shit..
tell me this isn't abuse!

Those parents should be in prison.

flip the coin, and say that the child was being starved by the parents, and was 7 years old and weighed 20lbs..

people would be going nuts..

YouTube - Kid Weighs 400 Pounds- On the News

OK fair enough those parents need some prison time. But if I were in charge people like them would be prohibited from procreating in the first place because you would need to apply for a license to breed. That'd whip this species into shape....

That said, I don't think it's anyone's place to tell other adults what to do with themselves, even if we do regulate what they're allowed to do to their children.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Old people aren't making a choice about being old. Despite what anyone says fat people are fat simply because they eat too much. I didn't mention fat actresses, I said fat people and we see them all the time on various documentaries where we're supposed to feel sympathy for them while they lay imprisoned by their own fat on their beds.

homelessmandril

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Yes, Bill O'Reilly's right up and down in this instance... well said

For once Big Bill slays it.....wtf is she talking about, 'China and India are looking at America and thinking we're big fat sissies'?! Jesus Christ, this woman is one step away from the Fourth Reich!

I don't often say this and mean it, but I hope she gets some exotic condition that makes her balloon out to about 250lbs, I would laugh my ass OFF.